Windhold info for Pow Days

bengarden

One of Us
Feb 24, 2014
Any inside knowledge on possible wind hold for this coming weekends (24th/25th July) dump? Thinking of coming over from the darkside at Perisher to ski the best resort in the country on a top to bottom pow day. There's winds of 45 to 65km/h forecast for Sat/Sun/Mon. Is that likely to close everything except Friday Flat? Likely to have at least Gunbarrel going for some blue runs? I love skiing Blizzards on pow days but obviously there's a limit if all chairs are on Windhold and there aren't many T-bars to escape the weather.....

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Brave the T's...get up high and stay there...
If they shut the chairs.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
On a serious note I would say that lifts are going on wind hold much earlier than usual. Several days now they haven’t bothered loading cruiser chairs and I’d say that is a strategy to save money and limp to the end of the season without shutting.

southpaw

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 28, 2018
Canberra
Being EPIC-less for the first time in years I’m taking the family to Thredbo for the first time this Friday through to Sunday and having seen this thread and the weather report I’m wondering whether there will be anywhere useful for a group of intermediate skiers if the wind is up? We’re locked into accommodation so changing plans isn’t really an option. At Perisher we’d be comfortable playing in Smiggs when the wind was howling but is there anywhere equivalent that would be worthwhile at Thredbo? I can’t imagine even the kids would be happy staying on Friday Flat.

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
If any of the chairs are open runs are likely to be friendly with nice soft forgiving snow. Except for trench hour. But I strongly advise people from the other hill to stay away to prevent disappointment.

lewis

Addicted
Jan 25, 2018
On a serious note I would say that lifts are going on wind hold much earlier than usual. Several days now they haven’t bothered loading cruiser chairs and I’d say that is a strategy to save money and limp to the end of the season without shutting.
Yes and it seems that they're willing to run them in higher winds when the snow is really good or the conditions generally are very good.

For example, they ran the Kosi and various other lifts last Saturday (knee deep powder) in much higher winds than the Wednesday prior (pouring rain) when the top of the gun-barrel was almost dead still.

However, if you're choosing between Thredbo and Perisher, Perisher is a much better resort overall so I would not recommend Thredbo in any situation where Perisher is the alternative.

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
What's your forecast for this weekend ? Are they going to run the Death Barrel or not ?

bengarden

One of Us
Feb 24, 2014
If any of the chairs are open runs are likely to be friendly with nice soft forgiving snow. Except for trench hour. But I strongly advise people from the other hill to stay away to prevent disappointment.
Suspicious. Its almost like people don't want people to visit from the other hill.......almost like there's some top secret pow stash or something this weekend.....

Reactions: RustyJ

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Being EPIC-less for the first time in years I’m taking the family to Thredbo for the first time this Friday through to Sunday and having seen this thread and the weather report I’m wondering whether there will be anywhere useful for a group of intermediate skiers if the wind is up? We’re locked into accommodation so changing plans isn’t really an option. At Perisher we’d be comfortable playing in Smiggs when the wind was howling but is there anywhere equivalent that would be worthwhile at Thredbo? I can’t imagine even the kids would be happy staying on Friday Flat.
I’d play on snow gums getting off at mid station and skiing back down under the chair or on the lower part of highnoon, ski past Kosci chair and back around to snow gums.

this is a great windy day option.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
All snow guns blasting this morning so the bean counters don’t have total control

Reactions: skull

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
My understanding is that all the electricity is pre-paid contract stuff. Once the contract is in place you may as well use what you can.
Staff and maintenance aren’t which coupled with what your saying makes sense, run everything when crowds are there limit damage on win days

southpaw

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 28, 2018
Canberra
@southpaw I was about to advise this as well. Some great fun to be had around Slowgums on windy days.
Thanks for this, I’m hoping that our first trip to Thredbo is a positive one, I’ve had to work hard hard to convince the family to try a different resort this winter. They were pretty keen to go with what they know and stick with Perisher.

Reactions: sastrugi

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
Thanks for this, I’m hoping that our first trip to Thredbo is a positive one, I’ve had to work hard hard to convince the family to try a different resort this winter. They were pretty keen to go with what they know and stick with Perisher.
You've got great snow, let's hope the lifts stay open for you and you'll be set :)

Reactions: southpaw
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass