Trip Report Windy Corner to The Paralyser. BC XC ski trip.5th July 2021

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Your correspondent in the field finally obtained some proper relief from SDS.( skiing deprivation syndrome typified by a flat and restless personal state and a lack of joy in the daily humdrum of life).

After seeing the snow cameras and the forecast I packed the car with food, ski gear and attire and a camping kit , booked and printed my car pass for the next day for Falls Creek and drove up from Melbourne on Sunday . I camped at Mountain Creek near Mt. Bogong . It was not as busy at the camp site as I thought it might have been.
It rained all night and Mtn. Creek itself was a gushing torrent!.
The next morning I took some photos before driving up to Falls Creek , bright and early on a clear and sunny Monday morning, 5/7/21. Free at last , a bird released from a cage and there was fresh snow on them thar hills. It was looking good.
_SAM0022.JPG
_SAM0023.JPG
_SAM0025.JPG
_SAM0024.JPG

Last edited:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
The BIG ORANGE coloured sign said all 2 WD must fit chains, at the chain bay before The McKay Power station road junction. Snow was visible on the road side at The Fainters lookout , approximately 900 M. ASL.
There was a queue of cars at Howman's Gap toll booth but Spion Kopje looked majestic in the morning sun , a blue bird day with fresh snow piled up on the parked cars.
I drove the AWD Tee Mobile up to Windy Corner rather carefully without chains in low gear . It was icy with snow on the road. It was treacherous only because of the other motorists who are not as experienced or cautious as they could be .
" I used to hurry a lot , I used to worry a lot, I used to stay out until the break of day ".....
Yes I had The Birds of Prey playing on the car ;-P.
Camping, skiing , road trips, snow and sunshine.... My life out of lockdown was improving exponentially. :ski:
I found a parking spot and got ready and Off I went on my NNN BC rig.
The snow was fresh , firm and dry.
Oh . This was good!.
I was just getting back into it so I went out over the dam wall out towards Watch Bed Creek rather than over the summit to Pretty Valley. That will come soon once I get my ski legs back.
I had Fresh Tracks and I saw nobody out there until I reached Watch Bed Creek.
:)
_SAM0026.JPG
_SAM0027.JPG
_SAM0028.JPG
_SAM0029.JPG

Last edited:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I had vexing Decisions to make regarding where to ski to next .... Langford Gap Hut or up towards The Park via The Paralyser.
The snow was deep enough to ski on up towards Mt. Nelse so after lunch off I went.
I slogged it up that track all alone thinking I would get an easy run back down but there were some odd shaped snow drifts , a couple of exposed rocks and wash outs and the snow was so fresh and uncompacted that gliding rather than classic striding even with double poling was marginal .
When I reached the tree line at the top of The Paralyser I realized it was Turn around O clock. So I sat down on a rock and ate some fruit and trail mix , drank some water , took some pictures and then skied back towards Windy Corner. If I was ski fit and had my ski legs I could have gone further , faster , harder etc. but I was just getting back into it.
_SAM0046.JPG
_SAM0047.JPG
_SAM0048.JPG
_SAM0049.JPG
_SAM0051.JPG

Reactions: Boodwah

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
A great day . Life is good. Scummo or Stairman Dan would not understand!.

I had another snack / water/ rest stop back at Watch bed Creek . I had a chat with Two Young women were ski touring the BHP with big packs on their backs using rented ski boots and NNN BC gear :-0.
They had stayed at Tawonga Huts and at Cope Hut over 3-4 nights . Well Done ladies !!.
_SAM0052.JPG
_SAM0053.JPG
_SAM0054.JPG
_SAM0055.JPG
_SAM0056.JPG
_SAM0057.JPG
_SAM0058.JPG
_SAM0059.JPG
_SAM0060.JPG
_SAM0061.JPG

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Heading back to Windy Corner. The fog rolled in and rolled away again and I saw some other skiers .One chap had skied out to Langford Gap . He said there was almost continuous cover 10-20 cms deep the whole way along the BHP road.. The early bird gets the worm I have heard @beefa skiing tell me. So early starts in winter well before the Kookaburras have woken up are the way to operate for getting fresh tracks in the B.C. .
I had to remove my skis and crawl under the locked gate, again, when I reached the Dam wall on the return trip .
_SAM0062.JPG
_SAM0063.JPG
_SAM0064.JPG
_SAM0065.JPG
_SAM0066.JPG

Reactions: Boodwah

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Last edited:

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Well I never!Parks have an actual sign with useful information and warnings!

Those written ideas are spot on........

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass