Surf Wing foiling

parkmonkey

Pool Room
Ski Pass
May 20, 2005
On a wave or mountain face near you.
I’ve got a 5m wing and have been prone foil surfing since May. I’ve taken the wing out on a SUP with no foil but struggled to stay up wind(lost a couple hundred meters each lap but did nail a jibe and sailed across and back without falling a couple times) had the tide in the river and wind both running the same direction making it more difficult. I’m waiting on a bigger foil wing and a suitable foil board.

Reactions: piolet

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
StKilda,VicBC,Prom,France
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
I’ve got a 5m wing and have been prone foil surfing since May. I’ve taken the wing out on a SUP with no foil but struggled to stay up wind(lost a couple hundred meters each lap but did nail a jibe and sailed across and back without falling a couple times) had the tide in the river and wind both running the same direction making it more difficult. I’m waiting on a bigger foil wing and a suitable foil board.
Thanks. Were you a windsurfer or kiteboarder before?
Also, how big is the sUP youve been practicing on, and does it matter?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

parkmonkey

Pool Room
Ski Pass
May 20, 2005
Thanks. Were you a windsurfer or kiteboarder before?
Also, how big is the sUP youve been practicing on, and does it matter?
I windsurfed heaps as a kid not really at all as an adult, i had an old 9’6” SUP maybe 135L that i took out, you probably want something that floats you comfortable to get going but it sounds like you progress pretty quickly, I’m waiting for stock on a 5’10” 96L wing foil specific SUP and will get foot stapes on my custom prone foil board so i can wing on that when I’m good enough and the wind is strong enough, that will be a 32L board. You can play around with the wing on an old windsurfer or any old SUP and not worry about length but when you get a foil board you want it shorter and lighter, its crazy some of the boards guys are riding around the 100L of volume in boards around or under 5 foot

These guys have a 5’4” at 96L
upload_2021-1-21_12-11-7.jpeg

Reactions: piolet and Boodwah

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
Nice. do you use the wing on that board? Or something more buoyant?
I got the wing out over the long weekend. Very easy to assemble and had a few good passages standing on the SUP, but its a big cumbersome thing that i couldnt really steer. Nice feeling the pulling power tho, I will definitely be getting it out w my skis this year.

Reactions: parkmonkey

parkmonkey

Pool Room
Ski Pass
May 20, 2005
I’m waiting for a bigger board and bigger foil wing to learn on but I’m pretty close to ordering a new foil board for prone surfing that will have lugs for foot straps so in strong enough winds and when my skills are there i can wind wing on the little board. This was a leg burner today 2nd time I’ve made it to the pass but the first time I’ve surfed through

Last edited:

parkmonkey

Pool Room
Ski Pass
May 20, 2005
Nice. do you use the wing on that board? Or something more buoyant?
I got the wing out over the long weekend. Very easy to assemble and had a few good passages standing on the SUP, but its a big cumbersome thing that i couldnt really steer. Nice feeling the pulling power tho, I will definitely be getting it out w my skis this year.
I think the key is holding the wing a bit higher up in the air than you think you need to, later on when you are flying on the wing the tip can sit a bit lower without hitting the water

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
I’m waiting for a bigger board and bigger foil wing to learn on but I’m pretty close to ordering a new foil board for prone surfing that will have lugs for foot straps so in strong enough winds and when my skills are there i can wind wing on the little board. This was a leg burner today 2nd time I’ve made it to the pass but the first time I’ve surfed through
View attachment 178288
How big is yr prone board, length and volume? Are waves harder to catch w a foil compared w conventional surfboard?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

parkmonkey

Pool Room
Ski Pass
May 20, 2005
How big is yr prone board, length and volume? Are waves harder to catch w a foil compared w conventional surfboard?
5’2” 40L, new board will be 4’5” 32L, my normal shortboard is 31.5L. Dragging the heavier alloy foil around was quiet noticeable but the lighter weight full carbon foil not so much, its different also how its effected paddling in turbulent water was a massive difference getting the new foil

Reactions: Boodwah

parkmonkey

Pool Room
Ski Pass
May 20, 2005
I am still on the steep part of the learning curve...
After the last effort, my 10 year old boy told me "Dad, that was a disaster."
I’ve still only been out the one time on the none foil SUP and was losing 200m of ground each return lap across the river, sure I’ve got some humbling times ahead coordinating the foil and wing, took my 2nd decent hit from the foil surfing yesterday, split lip and bleeding gums where it smacked me between my chin a bottom lip, could have been a lot worse

parkmonkey

Pool Room
Ski Pass
May 20, 2005
Well that was brutal, out in the surf for the first go with a foil and the new board. I need a bigger foil and flat water (which I knew before heading out but thought maybe I’m just that good), I could stand up and get going for a bit (not on foil)which I’m stoked I can handle the volume of the board but that was incredibly hard work for SFA return LOL

Last edited:

Bear74

First Runs
Jan 5, 2022
Foiling for me is as close in feeling to boarding deep powder. Smooth and the feeling of floating. Needs speed to float, and turns are similar, long fast drawn out lines are best. The whole sport has reinvigorated me, given me a passion I no longer get from the surf given the crowds, and if there is wind the wings are awesome. Not as hard as people make it out to be.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass