Winging it on a road trip to Jindy over Xmas

Scooter

One of Us
Mar 1, 2001
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Hey Folks,

Currently considering options over Xmas and the New Year and was thinking a road trip from Brissy to Jindy some time over the Xmas and New Year break could be considered however I didn't really want to lock in anything in terms of planning and accommodation etc. effectively just winging it and wondered what peoples thoughts were on this being a viable strategy?

Crazy to consider? Who reckons places likely to be super busy and booked out etc?

Would have preferred the flexibility but given Covid etc. not sure that's gonna be possible over the coming holiday period so thought I would ask the question :)

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
Hey Folks,

Currently considering options over Xmas and the New Year and was thinking a road trip from Brissy to Jindy some time over the Xmas and New Year break could be considered however I didn't really want to lock in anything in terms of planning and accommodation etc. effectively just winging it and wondered what peoples thoughts were on this being a viable strategy?

Crazy to consider? Who reckons places likely to be super busy and booked out etc?

Would have preferred the flexibility but given Covid etc. not sure that's gonna be possible over the coming holiday period so thought I would ask the question :)

It will be very, very busy.....lots of accommodation already being booked out. Some of the mountain and alpine walks have been super busy already in what has historically been a quieter period between Mid October and early December.

Thredbo busy as well with loads of folks making the most of decent riding conditions. Will only get busier into the period your looking at.

Camp sites have been hectic as anything. You’d need to book now IF there’s anything still available - I don’t have insights there other than current observations.

One of the Perisher lodges (Valhalla) has been open since the ski season concluded. Others may be doing the same. Could be an option? Albeit possibly pricey.

Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck sorting something out:thumbs:. It’s a great place out of ski season with lots to do.....

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Diggings and Ngarigo booked until end of Jan. Maybe Island Bend might have something. It will be hard to find any formal accommodation, even booking now will be tight.

Reactions: skull

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Last time I winged it at Bright over the xmas/NY, I ended up at Camp Crusty, literally the only place in town with anything at all (place to park the van). That was a normal year.

In Jindy I would expect that all the caravan parks are likely booked already, other than Sawpit (off the main drag so to speak, but a good option). There is always something, depending on budget/requirements though. All it takes is one cancellation also!

Reactions: Chaeron

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
Back in Xmas/January 85/86 we were doing the NSW/Qld coast. Pulled into Noosa at 4pm...Nope, Zip, Nutthin! Kept driving and Rainbow Beach it was! Stayed for a week and did Fraser Island, back then it was an isolated stunning backwater. Would hate to think what it all looks like today.

Reactions: Chaeron
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
IMHO this Christmas period is going to be the busiest Christmas period ever. The area is looking amazing and most every citizen of paradise Australia is gagging for a holiday.
And this area is cool. What was the overnight minimum last night? Was 7degrees C when I went to bed after a roasting 33C max over the last 2 days.

Reactions: dawooduck

Scooter

One of Us
Mar 1, 2001
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Thanks for the replies folks.

So general consensus is it gonna be busy - real busy :D

By winging it I meant happy to stay wherever so could be Beridale, Cooma or even as far away as Canberra etc. (who reckons you could wing accommodation in Canberra over Xmas and New Year?).

Was just sitting looking at flights v the ferry for Tassie as well and both options are looking bloody expensive and I would be hoping to wing it down there as well so this could be the holiday to stay closer to home LOL

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003

By winging it I meant happy to stay wherever so could be Beridale, Cooma or even as far away as Canberra etc. (who reckons you could wing accommodation in Canberra over Xmas and New Year?).

Was just sitting looking at flights v the ferry for Tassie as well and both options are looking bloody expensive and I would be hoping to wing it down there as well so this could be the holiday to stay closer to home LOL
Canberra is dead during any holidays. You’ll easily get accomodation, weekends also easy unless there’s some event on. Hotels get busy mid week.

We are off to Tassie for the Xmas week via ferry. Generally easy enough to get accomodation outside of Hobart. The yacht race impacts Hobart

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Diggings and Ngarigo booked until end of Jan. Maybe Island Bend might have something. It will be hard to find any formal accommodation, even booking now will be tight.
Wow. Thinking I might avoid Thredbo over the Christmas break then.

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Everywhere is going to be busy and booked. Everybody is busting after covid lockdowns and home suffocation.
We’re heading to Dubbo for a few days over New Years. I’m going out isn’t crowded. The rest of Xmas period I’ll be cutting laps at stromlo, majura, and kowen.

I love how quiet Canberra gets during holiday periods

Reactions: Billy_Buttons

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona

Stay in Dalgety.

Christmas forgets Dalgety

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
Went to Jindy 2 weeks ago, first time since skiing in August. We have never seen so many caravans in our entire lives. The nomads are multiplying. Literally every 4th vehicle from Syd to Jindy was a nomad. :eek:

Reactions: LMB and dawooduck

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Went to Jindy 2 weeks ago, first time since skiing in August. We have never seen so many caravans in our entire lives. The nomads are multiplying. Literally every 4th vehicle from Syd to Jindy was a nomad. :eek:
To be expected when vans were sold out everywhere months ago!

Reactions: Billy_Buttons
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass