1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW WEATHERZONE FOLK

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Winter 2015 Surf Thread

Discussion in 'Alpine & Southern' started by FourSquare04, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Zimboo

Zimboo A Local

Way way too frequent.
    Would be interesting to talk to commercial fishermen to see what's going on there Parkmonkey.
    Have catch quantities declined? Maybe less food around so the big preditors are looking closer to the coast for food?

Chowder11 likes this.
  2. Chowder11

Chowder11 Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Ill be down there all weekend so fingers crossed for maybe a small high tide wave tomorrow then a half decent one sunday also.
    Might have to take the old mans 9'6 out for a few peelers at Pines tomorrow.

Hope old mate is alright up at Even's. Saw on the news this morning, looked absolutely beautiful, such a stunning coastline.
    Wonder how many people need to get chomped before some proper action is taken? Its getting crazy.

3. Chowder11

Read somewhere that the whale population has really bounced back, as they migrate up the coast the big fish are probably in follow waiting for a big feed. Not 100% sure of whale migration paths but they tend to stick relatively close to the coast yeah?

4. parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

You see them off the beach no problems but generally closer on the trip back south with new borns.

5. Belly

Belly A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Off shark topic morning chart review ;)
    If WA, Indo had their moment a month or two back then Vic, Tas, east Aus and Fiji are about to have theirs.
    The models have been pretty locked in for big Monday in Vic for a while now but all 3 navy models are showing a reintisification of the fetch into the Tasman for next Thursday into Friday.
    I'm not sure how big it will be but I'm thinking it will be a significant swell event from Friday through to Sunday for the east coast at least.

PiniPowPow and Zimboo like this.
  6. Angus_McCrory

Angus_McCrory Old n' Crusty

I do wonder what this proper action is supposed to be? Surely not the WA appease a few bogans type of action o_O We play in the sharks' habitat, stands to reason that we might sometimes end up on the wrong end of an encounter.

The Plowking likes this.
  7. Zimboo

Zimboo A Local

Yep, opportunity for large preditors would be for them following the whales south as you say with new borns in tow in September/October.

8. Chowder11

Will it get to the point where we cant even get in the water? Yes that extreme, but I hate the bullshit "we enter their environment so bad luck" argument. We have ****ed the ecosystem in the ocean so badly already with the overfishing and such, do we then just leave it alone because a few greeny's don't like us killing sharks.

IMO, take them off the endangered list, recent sightings and attacks must prove they have been able to grow back in numbers, give licenses to people to catch them with a quota and specific geographical locations they can and cant catch them. Identify their breeding grounds and keep them off target.
    Im sure the local fish n chip shop will batter it a fry some GWS for the local yobbo's to get the 1 back and make them feel better than a full cull.

9. Angus_McCrory

Agree to disagree.......

10. parkmonkey

11. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

That's a BIG Noah

What's the vibe like around Byron at the moment PM?

Locals must be shit scared about going in the water now after yet another attack? Is there any established pattern or are they completely random?
    Seems like early morning has been the most risky...

12. Zimboo

Zimboo A Local

Yep, noth'n like a legachino in the morning.

13. parkmonkey

14. parkmonkey

So Fanning donated the $75,000 he got for the tv interview to the recovery of the bodyboarder attacked in Ballina, what an absolute legend.

Peli89, Belly, Ted Harper and 4 others like this.
  15. Chowder11

Absolute legend

Peli89, parkmonkey and Belly like this.
  16. Falls expat

Falls expat One of Us

17. Chowder11

Wonder if they can make the wave a bit bigger and get it to barrel?

18. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

Yeah should be interesting to see how they can 'make' the wave shape better.....but definitely the best looking man made wave to date IMO

The Plowking likes this.
  19. Chowder11

Same as normal ocean surf where the wind plays a major factor in wave shape. Do they put a few massive fans at one end to mimic an offshore breeze or is it just again up to the weather gods?

20. Belly

I wouldn't kick it out of bed - it would be excellent for skills development (what I need :) ) but would want to mix it up with a variety of real world conditions

The Plowking and Chowder11 like this.
  21. Chowder11

Yeh would be good if they built it out in the burbs for the blokes who have to travel 1-2 hrs round trip on the weekend, who is subject to crowds and conditions, dont have time to go search out a decent bank as they have life commitments.
    Rock up to this and is guaranteed say 10 decent long waves would be a blessing. If they light it up it could be awesome for an after work grovel in summer.
    And also as you said Belly, would be good to refine your skills. There is nothing worse than sitting on a crowded break then you finally get your wave only to kook it because of a shitty turn or a funky take off.
    If they could jack the size a bit, it would be great to be able to practice some late turn around take offs in a more controlled environment.

The Plowking likes this.
  22. Peli89

Peli89 One of Us

Chowder- you sounds a bit bitter about the crowds there? You were obviously one of the 500 people out at the pines on Sunday?? It was ridiculous. I sat behind the rock for a couple of hours and got some alright waves. Was good being out in the water.
    Would be interesting to see the wave pool that's for sure.

New wetsuit arrived in the mail today. 4/3 from need. I'm quite interested to see how it handles in the cold water and if I get many flushes.

Chowder11 likes this.
  23. Chowder11

Nah didnt end up surfing last weekend. Went home early and tide was way to low and nothing getting in when I looked at 7am. Been a bit lazy lately.
    Im not massively bitter usually about crowds as when there is swell I tend to head surf coast way and you can always find something.
    WP is terrible for crowds, especially with a forecast like Sundays, that was always going to happen.
    When it looks like a fair bit of swell getting in and its a weekend I tend to go for a walk towards Flinders from the Shoreham car park and find something further up with less people.
    Could you imagine what it would be like if we got a forecast like that on a Sunday in January???

24. Ted Harper

Ted Harper One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Wow, I would so be there (only proviso is that being in North Wales it is probably insanely cold by any "normal" measure for Australians). Quite a nice looking wave to have to yourself for GBP29/hour, especially as it is so consistent/mechanical just to try and practice stuff on. I don't know if it could get boring being so much the same every wave, but I reckon if something like that was nearby to me I could happily have an hour or two every week after work just to practice between "proper" sessions on the weekends.

I hadn't seen a wave pool wave before this that actually looks like it breaks and works like a real wave.

Final random thought: I wonder how much more volume you need in a board for it to feel the same as salt water.

25. Ted Harper

Anyone else going for a paddle tomorrow (Sydney)? I just checked the cams and there look to be waves of rideable size and a bit of punch, just rather straight onto the banks (at Palm Beach particularly unfortunately). I have a bit of a time-juggling act tomorrow between various kids' soccer games in far-flung parts of the city but I am hoping for a time window and a leave pass to get wet.

I bought a set of booties yesterday (http://www.ripcurl.com.au/shop/guys/wetsuits/bootsgloves/flash-bomb-3mm-boot---spl.html) and I want to have at least an experimental session with them. Call me soft, I've never liked booties, but I have had a steel pin in my ankle for the last 35 years and it makes my (back) leg ache and cramp up when the water is any colder than cool-ish, so I am finally giving booties another chance, because I don't like not enjoying surfing for these next couple of months every year.

Chowder11 likes this.
  26. Chowder11

I hate wearing booties also, but are unfortunate must down this way in winter.
    I have the exact same boots as those and they keep my feet super warm.
    Once your used to them they are not really that bad. And if you surf on reefs they are nice also as you can just plod along without having to worry about cutting your feet.

Ted Harper likes this.
  27. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

Had a nice surf at Saltwater today, not crowded with a good crew in the water .

[​IMG]

The Plowking, nfip and Ted Harper like this.
  28. Ted Harper

It is such a nice wave isn't it! I have always really enjoyed surfing there, not that I get to much any more :(

My session today at Palm Beach was pretty ordinary - an hour or so of 3'+ closeouts into waist-knee deep water - at least the paddle back out was short (sigh) and the water and sunshine were really nice - and I didn't even try my new booties. Maybe tomorrow...

29. parkmonkey

Surfed the beachies at home today but was surfing like shit after more than a month without a paddle, heard the beaches in town were closed with sharks again, didn't see anything to be worried about out our side.

Picked up a new stick this arvo, beautiful 2nd hand Takayama Mal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#379 parkmonkey, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  30. Peli89

Peli89 One of Us

Glad to hear you got out Parko. A good looking ride too.

I'm about to head down the peninsula and hopefully score. Should be able to find a decent bank on the incoming tide. I also found my scuba diving hood last night so I've chucked that in the car just in case. Haha

31. freddy

freddy One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Green Knob a few days ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i was there the same day as @Nozawaman !!!

Ted Harper, Chowder11 and parkmonkey like this.
  32. PiniPowPow

PiniPowPow One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

ohhh that uncle Donald looks nice. Great that it is signed by him too! Green Knob looks good too.

Some nice waves on the south coast at the weekend. Surfed three right points/reefs over the two days. Looks like a local population of SUPs has found my favourite secluded right hander. Shared the lineup with six of them on Saturday. They were ok though.

Got this right yesterday, some solid sets and nice present for my birthday! Bit out of focus but you get the picture.

[​IMG]

33. Ted Harper

(jealous sigh) You'all had better surfs than me it seems. Had another paddle yesterday, southern end of Palmy again - just no banks working anywhere on the beach, nice strong 3'+ swell smashing down straight on to shallow banks. For about 1/2 hour right around the low tide it was sort of ok though. A few grommets (who were frothing admirably over the average waves), rather a lot of mals, really only one bank working on the whole beach with not quite enough waves and far too much "sharing" on the waves that did come through. I got a few, enjoyed the sun and the nice water (failed to try the booties again though), had a very good coffee then packed it in and went home.

Newport Reef looked pretty good when I had a peek on the way home, I should probably have gone out there instead. Oh well, there will be other days, but well done to those of you who scored well, the photos are great!

34. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

not sure if posted before, but this drone footage is outstanding

William and Ted Harper like this.
  35. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

Had a laugh at the Swellnet WOTD yesterday - the caption was "south coast slab" when clearly you could see it was Solander with the big white ball in the background hahaha

36. Belly

Hey SasaN, I was at Saltwater on Saturday too, in the water from around 10-12, small world for a snow forum ;) . I reckon it would've been better on Sunday when the swell really filled in up that way but I had family commitments so I had to battle the zoo in the corner at One Mile. Still Saturday wasn't too shabby :)
    First real decent surf on my new DP 6'4" Sequel, perfect board for me and where I'm at with my surfing, loved it!!

Ted Harper likes this.
  37. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

We all must have been there ...... I got in the water around 12 .

The Plowking likes this.
  38. freddy

freddy One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

^ too funny..

I went for a surf at Bonny Hills this morning. small but fun. weather is like spring.
    I am getting around barefoot!

39. parkmonkey

Oh dear. I've heard stories about what a dick Mr Wright has been since moving his family to Lennox. Also Lennox and Ballina aren't Byron Bay, anything that happens up here with 100km seems to be linked to town.

Byron locals torn over sharks, fears surfing becoming a blood sport

Nothing kills a vibe like a surge in man-eating sharks.

Byron Bay, formerly a magnet for surfers seeking a peaceful, rural scene in which to drop out, has virtually overnight become a community of angry sea-dogs demanding shark blood be spilt.

“We’ve never seen anything like this,” said Rob Wright, father of pro surfers Owen and Tyler. “We’re all over it. We live up here and we surf up here, but this is all we’re thinking about.

“The married guys, they’re not allowed to go surfing. The young guys with kids, they’re thinking about it all the time. Everybody is.”

Wright has had two sharks swim beneath his board in recent weeks. One — “a fricken big thing” about 4m long with a pointy head and wide body — was chasing a fish at full speed. “It was flying, but it wasn’t after me, thankfully.”

At a packed meeting at Ballina, the northern NSW town 35km south of Byron Bay, on Monday all but three people had voted for a cull to begin, Mr Wright said.

Authorities committed to nothing, and scheduled another meeting for late next month.

In the meantime, talk was spreading of paying fishermen to do the job on the side. “It was one way of trying to solve the problem,” Wright said. “We just want some action, but nobody seems to step forward and lead the way. This is where you get locals thinking these animals have been protected, and people are losing friends.”

40. Angus_McCrory

Seems the dick who writes on surfing matters for Uncle Rupert is the only one banging the gong for a cull (can't read link as paywalled)........ saw a similar article in the Weekend Australian two weeks ago.... and rolled my eyes thinking what a friggin flogg.

Sure, one one likes the idea of becoming lunch for a shark, but FFS, we are playing in their environment.... and the likelihood of being killed driving to the beach, or being struck by lightning sitting on the beach is still much greater.

#390 Angus_McCrory, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    parkmonkey likes this.
  41. gettingtooold

gettingtooold One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Just like the ski lift tickets. The activity has an inherent risk of inury or death.

42. cruisin along

cruisin along A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I don't normally write anything in here , I visit for the pictures and the information however this time I thought a word from a non board rider who has lived in the water since birth may be ok.
    Sharks can become very frequent on the coastline and if you go back many years and look at the sightings and warnings given this is no different to past numbers HOWEVER there are quadruple the number of people in the water now so of course more are going to be nudged and bumped and bitten. We also have the factor of pollution coming from the rivers to the sea and the bait fish attracted to the newly released yum yums and of course the sharks are not silly they also shop there.
    The overload on Facebook regarding the culling of these fine specimens is in fact NOT supportive of the cull. The locals where I am are horrified that they would be culled and I am north of Byron ......as park monkey said anywhere within flying distance of Byron is referred to as that...BS we all live in vastly different surfing areas.....and surprisingly don't like being referred to as living in Byron.

All we need now is for some bogan to say the whales have brought the sharks so let's give the rights to kill them back to the Japanese and that will reduce the numbers of sharks ...BS
    Sharks are apex predators and will go anywhere to find food including your pristine surfable beaches .....time would be better spent finding ways to track the movements and give better warnings than to just cull them for if you get rid of a few then that leaves room for the others cruising by ......it is a massive ocean and we are just a small part in it.

So enjoy the surf and keep posting images and know that you enter the water that is filled with things that can eat you .......life is like that ...take the risk to enjoy the end result.
    And don't call for a culling on what are amazing creatures.

43. Chowder11

Agree we shouldn't cull.

I believe in a controlled fishing program to manage numbers and reduce the risk for ocean sport participants.

44. Ted Harper

Had not a bad surf this morning at Newport (after spending all day yest day driving kids to soccer games, apart from a quick surf-check without my board in the late afternoon). Almost didn't get wet: Palm was hopeless apart from all the way up at Barrenjoey, North Avalon was overcrowded. Had a great coffee from the shop near Beach Without Sand at North Av, but then while I was enjoying that I decided I shouldn't risk turning into that guy who doesn't paddle out, so I kept looking rather than just heading home to do all the jobs I avoided yesterday. Was 3'-ish and quite fun. Water was beautiful and I'd guess a degree or two warmer than last weekend, caught a few and went home happy. Still convinced my new steamer has alien technology in it because it is dry again already (and if I could motivate my teenagers to join me I would happily go back for another paddle now).

Hope everyone caught some!

Belly likes this.
  45. Belly

I scored a nice solo beachie session at Tathra on Friday at the peak of the swell, which wasn't much of a peak on the far south. It was my first surf there, fun set-up.

On the shark situation, I here you Angus_M, I've got pretty strong conservationist leanings myself but I'm starting to think it wouldn't be much fun walking a mile in their shoe's (a Ballina region surfer that is).

46. parkmonkey

Surfed knee high pass on the new takayama, felt good but really not enough wave to tell how the thing goes.

edit: note: surfed in boardies.

#396 parkmonkey, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    Belly and FourSquare04 like this.
  47. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

I went back to Saltwater yesterday ,4 guys in the water ,around 3' a little full , but fun .
    I hear you Ted the Flashbomb is the best $500 odd I have ever spent !
    Looking at a new board ATM leaning towards a 6'1" DHD Black Diamond / Chilli Rare Bird decisions, decisions .

Belly and Ted Harper like this.
  48. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

Surfed the home stretch yesterday morning. Nice conditions, just the banks aren't superb at the moment. Still got a couple of fun little 2 footers on the small wave board. There was one, rare 3 footer that came through and caught everyone off guard!

49. Ted Harper

Board question: Eldest son - 18yo, surfs ok on those surf school mini-mals, less well on my hand-me-down shortboards, has ridden bodyboards since forever, but just has always lacked "froth" for getting to be a decent surfer - has finally (after my urging for about the last 13 years) decided he wants to get serious about real surfing and not being a kook on shortboards any more.

He wants to buy a Channel Islands "Pod" board, which I'm not against - because if his interest does drop off again I reckon I'll use it and it looks like a bit of fun for small/sloppy/junky surf. My only stipulation is going to be if he gets the board it _has_ to have FCS2 fin boxes in it (to be compatible with my fins for my CI Fred Stubble which has become my all-conditions board since I bought it and I _love_ not having keys for fin boxes).

The guys at Onboard in Mona Vale reckon it's a good choice for him for his confidence, progression and enjoyment and I have found their advice to be good, but I'd be interested if any of you have ridden one and found it to be a fun ride. If you'all can convince me that I'd be wanting to grab it when he (inevitably) doesn't want to get up for summer-time super-earlies I might even pay for some of it for him - again with the stipulation it has to have FCS2 fin boxes and be maybe a couple of inches bigger than he might otherwise buy for just himself (we're about the same height and I am only 77kg so it's not like I would want him to ride a boat just so I could use it too).

50. parkmonkey

What length are you looking at?