1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Winter calls for the right attitude and good tyres

Discussion in 'Noticeboard' started by snowtyres, Apr 4, 2011.

1. snowtyres

snowtyres Addicted

Check the tyre tread depth on your existing tyres as soon as you can as it is not long until the winter.
    If the tread depth is down below 4 mm. it is the time to replace them with new Nokian winter tyres.

Don’t miss out, order your new Nokian winter tyres now from http://www.snowtyres.com.au

Drivers tend to overestimate the condition of their winter tyres. To avoid the problem of inaccurate visual estimates,
    Nokian Tyres has developed the DSI (Driving Safety Indicator), which accurately displays the remaining tread depth. The DSI system displays the groove depth in millimeters. The numbers clearly show whether the tyres are safe to drive and how much tread is left on the tyres.
    The winter performance of all snow tyres deteriorates as they wear down. The DSI tread depth indicator shows 8:6:4 on the centre of the tread of your Nokian tyres. If it is down below 4 mm. it is the time to replace them with new Nokian winter tyres. The tyres are still legal to use but will give much reduced winter performance. The tyres can be “run out†over the summer months down to the legal minimum of 1.6mm. tyre tread depth.
    If you have a new vehicle check your tyre size as some vehicles with larger 18â€, 19â€, 20†and 21†tyres may have insufficient clearance to fit snow chains and you may have to change the wheel and tyre size.
    Also check if your existing wheels you have fitted with winter/snow tyres will fit your new vehicle. The brakes are larger on new vehicles and the hub size and wheel studs may also have changed. For example the early BMW X5 series (E53) wheels will not fit the new BMW X5 series (E70)

Winter calls for the right attitude and good tyres
    Edited info from Nokian USA http://www.nokiantires.com/faq

Winter weather calls for appropriate gear: warm clothing and footwear that doesn't slip. Driving in the winter, in turn, requires good tyres: high-quality products that improve safety and level out differences in weather conditions. Driving is enjoyable when the weather does not cause surprises. Nokian winter tyres have a low rolling resistance: they roll easily, save fuel and generate fewer harmful emissions than summer tyres.
    Climate change is making winters fickle and adding an element of surprise to them. Conditions change quickly, with temperatures zigzagging around freezing point. Precipitation increases and, depending on the temperature, either a cold drizzle or thick snow falls from the sky. Warm weather or road salt melts the snow, turning it into slush that can make driving quite scary. Sudden and unexpected changes in weather conditions increase the need for efficient winter tyres. Nokian winter tyres are designed for demanding conditions and reduce the risk of hazardous slush planing by removing wet snow from between the road and tyres.
    Nokian have the most depth of products in winter tyres. As the inventor of winter tyres back in 1934, no company has as many winter tyre specific patents and innovations as Nokian. The product line covers the most applications and different intended uses. If you want true winter performance but do not want to change your tyres in the summer, then the Nokian WRG2 SUV, is your option, at is a true winter tyre that can be used year-round and provides excellent performance in any weather. If you are in an alpine area for the winter the Hakkapeliitta R SUV, would be your best choice. This is a high performance "friction tyre" meaning the rubber compound and tread pattern are the primary tools used to provide grip.
    In the interest of fuel conservation, Nokian designed this as a low rolling resistance tyre, one of the few winter tyres with such a designation.

#1 snowtyres, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  2. Shrek

Shrek Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

winter calls for powersliding and lots of opposite lock.

3. Donza

Donza Pool Room

winter calls for more prices on website

4. snowtyres

snowtyres Addicted

Your right there is no pricing in the website but check the http://www.snowtyres.com.au for details of the new Nokian WRG2 SUV and Nokian Hakka R SUV winter tyre sizes that will be available for the 2011 winter snow season.

For pricing call the new easy to remember contact number, 1300-4-SNOWTYRES
    or call Richard on 0418 324 052 with your email address so we can send you new information updated by email
    email info@snowtyres.com.au

Nokian video links
    http://www.youtube.com/user/nokiantires - p/u

http://www.youtube.com/user/NokianTyresCom - g/u

#4 snowtyres, Apr 5, 2011
  5. stansi

stansi One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Gee, be careful Paul, Richards soon going to be saying we don't need skis to be going skiing!

6. sixty_eight

sixty_eight One of Us

Would you not be better off buying the normal tyres and spend the difference (I can't imagine the Nokians would be cheaper than your normal tyres) on a set of chains that you can carry for justin case?

7. Donza

Donza Pool Room

If i lived in JIndy and drove up the hill a fair bit i'd get snowtyres (after driving on them in japan)
    but again its cost

i know there was quite a significant 2nd hand tyre market in Australia a few years back (from Japan)
    were snow tyres included in this?

snowtyres have been blamed for crashes in NZ ( wrong fitted, etc) whats everyones thought on this
    BTW this is in noticeboard, so ...

8. donjezza

donjezza First Runs

I've got plenty of tread left on my chains [​IMG]

#8 donjezza, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  9. snowtyres

snowtyres Addicted

“ will changing to a Nokian void my insurance if they can't match the speed rating.â€
    Open for discussion.

There are no insurance issues when a vehicle is fitted with lower speed rated winter tyres if you follow the guidelines from RTA or VicRoads.

If you check on the tyre placard of most European vehicles they will show the speed and load rating for winter tyres as well as the higher speed rated summer tyres and the optional tyre sizes that can be supplied for that vehicle.
    It may not be shown on the Subaru but you will see it on a Benz or BMW etc..

Here is the info link from RTA that relates to tyre speed rating rating.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi09_rev4.pdf

VSI #9 Guidelines for alternative wheels and tyres

Tyre speed rating – from RTA
    If the speed rating of the tyres specified for your vehicle is less than 140km/h you must not fit tyres with a lower
    speed rating.
    It is strongly recommended that the speed rating of the tyres fitted should be equal to or better than the rating of
    the original tyres fitted by the vehicle manufacturer, however:
    • If the speed rating of the tyres specified for your vehicle is higher than 140km/h, you may fit tyres with a
    lower speed rating but not lower than 140km/h.
    • If the replacement tyres fitted, including winter tread tyres (commonly called “mud and snow†tyres) and
    retreaded tyres, have a speed rating less than that shown on the vehicle’s tyre placard, a warning label must
    be affixed to the vehicle (usually by the tyre dealer) which states:

We have this sticker available at RCS

A similar info sheet has been provided by VicRoads.

#9 snowtyres, Apr 6, 2011
  10. Hobber

Hobber A Local

I believe the issue was actually not fitting a set of tyres, but only fitting front or back.

#10 Hobber, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  11. snowtyres

snowtyres Addicted

“snowtyres have been blamed for crashes in NZ ( wrong fitted, etc) whats everyones thought on thisâ€

This issue in New Zealand came about because of mixing the use of “summer tyres†at one end of the vehicle and “winter tyres†on second hand cars imported from Japan. Cars were imported with winter tyres from Japan and when these wore out that were replaced with only a pair of summer tyres, not all four, with disastrous, and even fatal results.

Snow tyres were never the problem in NZ it was the mixing of summer and winter tyres.

Tyres, summer or winter, fitted to any car, AWD or 4WD should always be of the same make and model front and back.

Refer this info, and the links, from The NZ Transport Agency for their explanation

“In recent years, four fatal crashes have occurred in which the mixing of winter tyres (also known as 'snow tyres') with other tyre types (summer/all season tyres), was identified as a contributing factor.

Subsequent testing of winter tyres at an Australian testing facility showed that mixing snow tyres and conventional tyres can make a vehicle unpredictable and difficult to control in the wet and/or during hard or emergency braking. This has led to this Rule amendment, which prohibits the mixing of winter tyres with other tyre types on light passenger and goods vehicles.â€

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/rules/tyres-and-wheels-amendment-2009-2-qa.html

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/about/media/releases/602/news.html

Pamphlet

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/winter-tyres/docs/winter-tyres-pamphlet.pdf

#11 snowtyres, Apr 6, 2011
  12. Hobber

Hobber A Local

Depends. I have Nokian WRG2 tyres and fit them for winter only... I have an AWD in NSW, so I don't have to carry / fit chains (although I do have a set). My motivation is as follows:

From experience, driving down from Perisher on a snowy / slushy road is 'challenging' on performance summer tyres (OEM)
    I hate the ski tube
    I drive up to 3 others to the snow daily (that's a lot of ski tube money) - I want to be safe for them.
    My car has nice alloy wheels that chains will scratch (expensive to repair)
    I often ski Thredbo - and on the Alpine Way to Thredbo can be patchy - higher elevations have snow, lower don't - chains not required for long.
    I am always down there when the roads are sketchy... best time to go! [​IMG]
    It's often not the bits of road you know about that are the problem, it's the bits you don't.

The Winter tyres provide much better traction, especially noticeable when steering and stopping. It makes driving on snow and slush in my car more like driving on a wet road in a RWD or FWD. Because I still drive carefully, the margin of safety I end up with is huge.

From my experience the Nokians wear really well... because of the additional sipes the handling feels a little squirmier than the Summer tyres but that doesn't affect confidence in handling, just makes the car feel less sporty and more family [​IMG] I have the tyres mounted on a second hand set of rims I picked up cheap, and simply swap them over for the first trip down, and take them off at the end of the season.

And no, I am not affiliated with snowtyres, and (unfortunately) he has not paid me for this comment [​IMG]

#12 Hobber, Apr 6, 2011
  13. snowtyres

snowtyres Addicted

"I had a good friend look at Nokian tyres for his Outback as he is a ski fanatic like most on here, he usually skis Hotham for around 20-30 days a season, but he told me he couldn't justify the Nokians"

Paul, good tyres are like good skis, they always cost more than models that are not as good, I am sure your friend is happier skiing on good skis than average one. Same goes with tyres for his Outback, best if you get him to give me a call so we can work some thing out between us.

14. Donza

Donza Pool Room

so snowtyres, how much would a set of 4 for my subaru liberty (rolling on 15 inch wheels) be?

15. scottski

scottski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

For Snow tyres call Tempe Tyres in Sydney. He brings in two containers of tyres per week from the US. He will buy them wholesale and be here in a few weeks. He managed to provide original Bridgstones for our CX9 for around 1/3 the local price. Try it.

16. Donza

Donza Pool Room

cheers scottski, that business is huge
    I was wondering about that, cause surely the two biggest manufacturers of snowtyres would be bridgestone from japan and goodyear from the states?

17. snowtyres

snowtyres Addicted

#17 snowtyres, Apr 7, 2011
  18. trappers

trappers Safety not guaranteed Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Yes but Paul, this is a whole new set of tyres you dont actually need in effect you are paying ~$700 for a "nice to have", not to mention the bother of having to change your tyres twice a year and have somewhere to store them, and fit chains when directed anyway! For the average joe blow punter in Australia snow / winter tyres are a total waste of money.

I know what I would prefer to spend my $700 on ... it would go a long way towards a seasons pass! [​IMG]

#18 trappers, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  19. Hobber

Hobber A Local

Not with an AWD / 4WD in NSW... [​IMG] I would also suggest NSW might have more benefits from winter tyres given the incidence of snow and cold weather in sub alpine areas of the southern tablelands, potentially the whole area through to Cooma / Canberra and through the Snowy Mountains Highway to Tumut.

Also, while you are using winter tyres you are not using your summer tyres, extending their life... so in the long run it's not $700 extra... it's less than that. Total Cost of Ownership. In NSW a set of diamond pattern chains might be around $120 - $140. That is another cost offset if you decide to chains are an alternative...

Horses for courses. [​IMG]

#19 Hobber, Apr 7, 2011
  20. Hobber

Hobber A Local

Incidentally I think the RTA should change the regulations to require chains or winter tyres for 4WD / AWD... I have seen and done driving on snow / slush on Summer tyres and it can be very sketchy - especially for Shayne and Cheryl on their first trip up with the kids in their Territory. (Okay, not their names, but they were behind me, accelerated coming out of a climbling left hand turn and spun - 5 seconds later and they would have been t-boned by the car coming the other way, downhill that couldn't stop properly.)

21. snowtyres

snowtyres Addicted

T427948 Nokian Nordman 4 (without studs) in size 215/60R16XL 99T for Subaru Outback @ $225.00 each

Nokian Nordman 4 is not available in 17†& 18†sizes for Subaru Liberty GT, use Nokian WRG2 or Nokian Hakka R for these sizes.

Logistics is simple, we would ship direct from Laverton warehouse at end of May by your carrier to your store and you pay your tyre dealer to fit and balance, tyre fitting usually costs about $85.00 - $95.00 for this.

22. snowtyres

snowtyres Addicted

“I have a Subaru Liberty GT and will need tyres soon, should I get Nokians or just get the same tyres againâ€

Subaru Liberty GT is supplied with Bridgestone Tyres ( without checking is likely to be Potenza RE050A )
    (width, profile, size, load index and speed)
    225/45 R18 91W (W = 270 km/h speed rating 660 mm. diameter)
    and with spare wheel
    205/50 R17 89V (V = 240 km/h speed rating 637 mm. diameter)

“The Potenza RE050A is a Max Performance Summer tire designed to complement the performance of sports cars, sports coupes and sport sedans.
    The Potenza RE050A was developed to provide good traction along with responsive and predictable dry and wet road handling.
    It is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.†From http://www.tirerack.com/ website

Tyres marked with a V, ZR, W or Y speed rating are usually high performance “summer†road tyres and were never designed for driving on snow covered roads. High speed rated summer tyres, by definition are not winter/snow tyres. All high performance AWD summer tyres become like hard plastic when the temperature falls below 7° thereby losing the flexibility needed to build up sufficient grip for braking, for starting traction and for cornering.
    Today’s tyre tread designs and compounds maximize long, even wear… not winter traction.

There are 3 winter tyre options for Subaru Liberty GT MY10.
    Pricing based on Rec. Retail Nokian WRG2 prices for 2011, including GST and fitting/balancing.
    17†wheel cost based on ebay listing http://shop.ebay.com.au/markz_1/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

1) Nokian WRG2 205/50R17XL 93V
    (same size as OE 17†spare tyre 637mm. diameter, 3.48% <OE 18†tyre) use winter/snow tyres for winter (4 months/year) fitted to 17†Subaru wheels and use the original wheels and tyres for summer (8 months/year).
    Set of 4 = $1580.00 plus say $500.00 for 4 used 17†Subaru wheel from e-bay or similar
    Total $2080.00

2) Nokian WRG2 215/55R17XL 98V
    (668 mm. diameter, 1.21% >OE 18†tyre) use winter/snow tyres for winter (4 months/year) fitted to 17†Subaru wheels and use the original wheels and tyres for summer (8 months/year).
    Set of 4 = $1460.00 plus say $500.00 for 4 used 17†Subaru wheel from ebay or similar
    Total $1960.00

3) Nokian WRG2 225/45R18XL 95V (same size as OE18†tyre, = 660 mm. diameter)
    Use winter/snow tyres for winter (4 months/year) and use the original wheels and tyres for summer (8 months/year) or use Nokian WRG2 year round.
    Set of 4 = $2180.00
    Total $2180.00

#22 snowtyres, Apr 7, 2011
  23. Donza

Donza Pool Room

cheers snowtyres, considering i pay 150 bucks a tyre at the moment (toyos) and yeah thats the right spec size..
    yeah I agree Hobber i've had my liberty for 8 years and i've driven on significant snow maybe 30-40 times.
    including the marathon 60 km in july 2005

24. sixty_eight

sixty_eight One of Us

Maybe in America that is the case. But is this the case in Australia - do we have these "summer tires" here? When I asked Mr Bridgestone last year, he said....

"Tyre manufacturing processes and compounds vary significantly between the northern hemisphere colder regions and Australia.
    The information you have received on that website is not relevant to Australian products or conditions at all.
    RE92, ER300 and RE050A offered for sale here are equally at home in cold and snow conditions within Australia."

#24 sixty_eight, Apr 8, 2011
  25. snowtyres

snowtyres Addicted

A "summer tyre" is a summer tyre in Australia or anywhere else in the world, including USA

This show how little this particular "Mr. Bridgestone " knows about his product range.
    There would be no difference in a Bridgstone RE050A summer tyre fitted by Subaru OE factory for vehicle for USA or Australia.

Do a search and you will find plenty of information on the performance of "summer tyres" used in winter snow and icy conditions

Bridgestone (correctly) does not even rate the RE050A for winter snow or ice performance.

refer

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/productdetails/QuickSearch/Potenza_RE050A_Pole_Position

#25 snowtyres, Apr 8, 2011
  26. sixty_eight

sixty_eight One of Us

We just have "tyres" in Australia.

27. PolePlant

PolePlant Guest

And handbrake turns.

#27 PolePlant, Apr 9, 2011
  28. captainQ

captainQ Hard Yards

And for easing up on quaffing, stirred martinis, before getting behind the wheel. [​IMG]

#28 captainQ, Apr 9, 2011
  29. Hobber

Hobber A Local

#29 Hobber, Apr 9, 2011
  30. snowtyres

snowtyres Addicted

#30 snowtyres, Apr 16, 2011
  31. shnilly

shnilly Hard Yards

I thoughtd I'd dredge up this old topic as its nearly ski season again (2 weeks to go!). I bought myself a new SV6 this year then kicked myself when reading that it isnt really "snow chain friendly". Anyone have any experience with this car? Im considering buying 17" winter tyres and just swapping them over for the season. I live in Sydney. I will still need snow chains but for the sake of not crashing a $40k car I think $700 would be justifiable. Any thoughts?

32. crackson

crackson A Local Ski Pass: Gold

#32 crackson, May 26, 2012