1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Winter driving, tyres & snow chain thread for 2020

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by snow drive solutions, Jul 3, 2020.

1. JindySuz

JindySuz Hard Yards

Ah, sorry @chicski, not painting all with the same brush. I am a Subi driver too but have never slid off, just stayed in control when it gets tricky. There does seem to be plenty on the side of the Kosci Rd when it gets snowy.

2. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Current model XV is actually CVT (continuous variable transmission), so it doesn’t really have “gears”. Technically only one gear, with a ratio that can vary smoothly up or down. It is a little unnerving at times, always feels like a slipping clutch when accelerating to me.

3. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I don't know how the Subi system works, but hill descent mode in offroad situation typically works by individual wheel application of brakes. You don't want that.

And at ultra low speed on warm wet snotty snow/slush, you can break out of a slide by shifting to neutral so you're not fighting the vehicle's transmission. In a manual you'd have the clutch engaged, do the same thing in an auto by shifting to neutral. This is at walking speed or less. Best if you can try it in a car park or other downhill with no vehicles around. Shiny warm snow that packs to ice is a horror show at low speed, this is the stuff that YouTube video are made of, urban scenes with busses running into parked cars at slow-mo speeds. You turn the wheel and nothing happens, instant and complete understeer. Hit the clutch or change to neutral and suddenly you'll get steering back.

4. skinavy

skinavy One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Snow/mud/grass mode in the Land Rover Terrain Response sets you to take off in second gear. Quite surprising how much it changes the feel of the Disco when using it. Changes the braking response and throttle mapping as well as the gear box .

One issue with Land Rovers in Victoria is the need for chains. Can only fit spider chains on the front, which are banned at Hotham (because it is the most extreme road in the world, obviously nothing like the drive into Tignes or anywhere else in Europe, sarcasm off) due to lack of clearance. So need to put diamond chains on the rears.

5. SMSkier

SMSkier One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Hey @snow drive solutions....

Question if you don’t mind?

My daughter has a 2016 Toyota GX RAV4 AWD that needs new tyres. Any advice regarding a tyre that’s primarily suitable for day to day driving between Jindabyne and Cooma. With periodic driving up to Perisher and or Thredbo during Winter.

She is on pretty tight budget.

Cheers.

EDIT:..... could do with a set on my Toyota SR5 with similar circumstances.

The day to day Winter drive (old Jeep) has snow and ice tyres from Ian at Tyrepower....

6. snow drive solutions

snow drive solutions Hard Yards Ski Pass: Silver

Jonathan_P and SMSkier like this.
  7. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

May not get a nice response from some, but M+S and pretty good value.

SMSkier likes this.
  8. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Can I piggyback onto this request? Subaru Impreza 205/55R16. Live in Canberra, regular trips to the ski fields in winter. Currently has snow tyres which will need replacing soon. A dealer around the ACT area?

Jonathan_P and SMSkier like this.
  9. Nidecker

FWIW I put these on daughters Kluger, $480 fitted balanced and aligned x 4. They are wearing quite well....

SMSkier likes this.
  10. SMSkier

SMSkier One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

11. Jonathan_P

Jonathan_P One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Out of interest have they been used on the snow and if so how did they perform?

12. Nidecker

Yes they have, they replaced a set of Pirelli ATRs, and the only reason I didn't go with the Pirellis again, is the car has done 400,000kms, not sure how long we will have it.

So I started looking for good second hand and found these for a similar price new.

They were surprisingly good on the snow, no perceptible difference to the ATRs. I can't make my mind up if they are noisier on the road, or if its just a different noise.

I fully don't expect to get the sort og amazing mileage out of them, that I get from the Pirellis, but thats a choice.

SMSkier and Jonathan_P like this.
  13. snowtyres

snowtyres Addicted

Please call Paul @ Snowtyres 03 9822 9539 for confirmation of pricing, availability, and
    Special summer season allowance
    Fitting & balancing charges of Nokian winter tyres is included. If your vehicle requires a wheel alignment the additional charge for this service is payable by you directly to the tyre centre.
    NO-T429788 205/55 R16 94V - Nokian WR A4 @ $325.00 each

Jonathan_P likes this.
  14. snowtyres

snowtyres Addicted

Please call Paul @ Snowtyres 03 9822 9539 for confirmation of pricing, availability, and
    Special summer season allowance
    Fitting & balancing charges of Nokian winter tyres is included. If your vehicle requires a wheel alignment the additional charge for this service is payable by you directly to the tyre centre.
    Toyota RAV4
    NO-T430472 225/65 R17 106H - Nokian WR SUV 4 @ $345.00 each
    Toyota Hilux
    NO-T428603 265/65 R17 116H - Nokian WR SUV 3 @ $445.00 each

Jonathan_P likes this.