Winter driving, tyres & snow chain thread for 2020

JindySuz

Hard Yards
Jun 27, 2019
Awesome generalisation there!
Ah, sorry @chicski, not painting all with the same brush. I am a Subi driver too but have never slid off, just stayed in control when it gets tricky. There does seem to be plenty on the side of the Kosci Rd when it gets snowy.

robbo mcs

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
So my gear stick at the bottom has D-M, for Drive or Manual. Interestingly the manual says if you press one of the gear shift paddles whilst in Drive (auto) mode it switches to Manual mode temporarily. I will have to try that.

It also says to fit snow chains on the front tires! So that’s answered that question.

And it calls the traction mode I referred to “X-mode”, which has hill ascent and descent assist functionality. Very cool.

This is a 2019 Subaru XV is anyone is interested.

Current model XV is actually CVT (continuous variable transmission), so it doesn’t really have “gears”. Technically only one gear, with a ratio that can vary smoothly up or down. It is a little unnerving at times, always feels like a slipping clutch when accelerating to me.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
So my gear stick at the bottom has D-M, for Drive or Manual. Interestingly the manual says if you press one of the gear shift paddles whilst in Drive (auto) mode it switches to Manual mode temporarily. I will have to try that.

It also says to fit snow chains on the front tires! So that’s answered that question.

And it calls the traction mode I referred to “X-mode”, which has hill ascent and descent assist functionality. Very cool.

This is a 2019 Subaru XV is anyone is interested.
I don't know how the Subi system works, but hill descent mode in offroad situation typically works by individual wheel application of brakes. You don't want that.

And at ultra low speed on warm wet snotty snow/slush, you can break out of a slide by shifting to neutral so you're not fighting the vehicle's transmission. In a manual you'd have the clutch engaged, do the same thing in an auto by shifting to neutral. This is at walking speed or less. Best if you can try it in a car park or other downhill with no vehicles around. Shiny warm snow that packs to ice is a horror show at low speed, this is the stuff that YouTube video are made of, urban scenes with busses running into parked cars at slow-mo speeds. You turn the wheel and nothing happens, instant and complete understeer. Hit the clutch or change to neutral and suddenly you'll get steering back.

skinavy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2001
Canberra, ACT
Snow/mud/grass mode in the Land Rover Terrain Response sets you to take off in second gear. Quite surprising how much it changes the feel of the Disco when using it. Changes the braking response and throttle mapping as well as the gear box .

One issue with Land Rovers in Victoria is the need for chains. Can only fit spider chains on the front, which are banned at Hotham (because it is the most extreme road in the world, obviously nothing like the drive into Tignes or anywhere else in Europe, sarcasm off) due to lack of clearance. So need to put diamond chains on the rears.

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
Hey @snow drive solutions....

Question if you don’t mind?

My daughter has a 2016 Toyota GX RAV4 AWD that needs new tyres. Any advice regarding a tyre that’s primarily suitable for day to day driving between Jindabyne and Cooma. With periodic driving up to Perisher and or Thredbo during Winter.

She is on pretty tight budget.

Cheers.

EDIT:..... could do with a set on my Toyota SR5 with similar circumstances.

The day to day Winter drive (old Jeep) has snow and ice tyres from Ian at Tyrepower....

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
Hey @snow drive solutions....

Question if you don’t mind?

My daughter has a 2016 Toyota GX RAV4 AWD that needs new tyres. Any advice regarding a tyre that’s primarily suitable for day to day driving between Jindabyne and Cooma. With periodic driving up to Perisher and or Thredbo during Winter.

She is on pretty tight budget.

Cheers.

EDIT:..... could do with a set on my Toyota SR5 with similar circumstances.

The day to day Winter drive (old Jeep) has snow and ice tyres from Ian at Tyrepower....

May not get a nice response from some, but M+S and pretty good value.

upload_2020-11-9_15-25-36.png

Reactions: SMSkier

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Can I piggyback onto this request? Subaru Impreza 205/55R16. Live in Canberra, regular trips to the ski fields in winter. Currently has snow tyres which will need replacing soon. A dealer around the ACT area?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
Out of interest have they been used on the snow and if so how did they perform?

Yes they have, they replaced a set of Pirelli ATRs, and the only reason I didn't go with the Pirellis again, is the car has done 400,000kms, not sure how long we will have it.

So I started looking for good second hand and found these for a similar price new.

They were surprisingly good on the snow, no perceptible difference to the ATRs. I can't make my mind up if they are noisier on the road, or if its just a different noise.

I fully don't expect to get the sort og amazing mileage out of them, that I get from the Pirellis, but thats a choice.

Can I piggyback onto this request? Subaru Impreza 205/55R16. Live in Canberra, regular trips to the ski fields in winter. Currently has snow tyres which will need replacing soon. A dealer around the ACT area?
Please call Paul @ Snowtyres 03 9822 9539 for confirmation of pricing, availability, and
Special summer season allowance
Fitting & balancing charges of Nokian winter tyres is included. If your vehicle requires a wheel alignment the additional charge for this service is payable by you directly to the tyre centre.
NO-T429788 205/55 R16 94V - Nokian WR A4 @ $325.00 each

Reactions: Jonathan_P
225 / 65R 17 ......
265 / 65 R 17...,,,

Cheers
Please call Paul @ Snowtyres 03 9822 9539 for confirmation of pricing, availability, and
Special summer season allowance
Fitting & balancing charges of Nokian winter tyres is included. If your vehicle requires a wheel alignment the additional charge for this service is payable by you directly to the tyre centre.
Toyota RAV4
NO-T430472 225/65 R17 106H - Nokian WR SUV 4 @ $345.00 each
Toyota Hilux
NO-T428603 265/65 R17 116H - Nokian WR SUV 3 @ $445.00 each

Reactions: Jonathan_P
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass