1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Winter has been world's warmest on record

Discussion in 'Alpine & Southern' started by SnowYeti, Mar 16, 2007.

1. SnowYeti

SnowYeti One of Us

#1 SnowYeti, Mar 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
  2. Fresh Tracks

Fresh Tracks First Runs

It's the cycle thing.

Everything runs its turn.

3. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

It's Nasi Goreng and all those rabbits.

4. Mr. Mook

Mr. Mook One of Us

Its because the sun is expanding and the earth is moving closer to it.

5. Perky

Perky First Runs

I blame "dem imigants" and lefties. Everything's their fault... :out:

Fresh Tracks, what makes you think its a cycle? Honest question.

6. Tropical

Tropical One of Us

I just spoke with my girlfriend in Park City and she said that its been up to 70 degrees in her lingo. I converted that and its over 20 degrees ....... [​IMG]

I looked at the Deer Valley website and it was close to that today and warmer tomorrow.

Carveman can you confirm? Thats dam hot. They should make some deer valley ski school boardies if thats the case :p I was instructing in a polo shirt for a week or so during my short season and I think it was just pushing 50F.

#6 Tropical, Mar 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  7. Recon

Recon First Runs

#7 Recon, Mar 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  8. Slushii

Slushii Mostly missing in action... Moderator

I wonder if rabbit makes good rendang to go with the nasi goreng...

I think this should be in Weather too.

#8 Slushii, Mar 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  9. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

We are constantly finding new data to add to the complexitites of weather and climate!!!

"DROUGHT-BREAKING rains across eastern Australia have been predicted in new modelling by a scientist who believes massive pulses in the sun's magnetic field are helping to drive the Earth's climate systems.

If proven, the research will make the prediction of floods and droughts in Australia far more reliable and influence models projecting future climate change.

Robert Baker, from the University of New England, claims to have found a strong relationship between the rhythmic pulsing of the sun's magnetic field and weather systems, particularly in the southern hemisphere. "

Very interesting, if correct!!!

#9 Sandy, Mar 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  10. Slushii

Slushii Mostly missing in action... Moderator

Hmm, i wonder exactly how the sun's magnetic field can influence the weather systems on Earth?

Something to do with the way the the fields affect how charged particles move? What about earth's own magnetic field?

11. filski

filski Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Sandy, given that water in all it's forms has no charge, I'd say this is evidence of a scientist including 'climate change' in the title to get funding. Nothing wrong with that but don't jump to the wrong conclusions. I'm happy to entertain new ideas but for heavens sake!

12. Recon

Recon First Runs

Don't be too quick to dismiss anything, is my general thinking.

We already know that the sun's magnetic field can have a significant impact on the earth (look up the current Dst Index or the ACE Real Time Solar Wind data for obvious examples; increased atmospheric drag, changes in the composition of the atmosphere due to H/N/O loss in magnetic storms, etc). The research isn't suggesting that it directly influences water in some way, it's simply saying that the magnetic fields can produce an effect on our weather systems.

Given that the sun is the major "energy input" for the earth and the weather systems, and given that the sun has cycles (such as the its 11 year solar cycle and the associated changes in energy output) and other processes that aren't well understood, it's entirely reasonable to suggest there's more work that needs to be done regarding what influence the sun's magnetic field has on the planet (which is exactly what the researcher says in the article). The research has a lot of existing foundations - it's not just an idea that has been plucked from nowhere without basis.

This publication discusses related effects if you have time to read it:
    http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2003iscs.symp..317D
    (click the GET button next to "Get low/high resolution PDF image" to view the entire article as a PDF)

It's fascinating stuff!

#12 Recon, Mar 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
  13. filski

filski Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I don't dismiss anything without more than a seconds thought. There are ways it could possibly affect weather but the conditions would have to be right - eg cloud condensing nucleii (CCN) could be affected by magnetism (I'm not sure). But that is an issue that affects the weather as an indirect effect of magnetism that requires other factors to be in place - ie magnetism is not the cause but it is the possible effect it has on other factors that might contribute.

1. What are the differences between the equator and the poles and the strength of the suns magnetic field. How does this affect rainfall closer to the equator?
    2. Is the magnetic effect of the sun limited to the solar wind and cosmic radiation - thus having no direct effect on our weather.
    3. What about the changes in levels of pollutants that were much higher before the 70's that acted as CCN.
    4. Is this theory just another variant of the one put forward by Svensmark, Singer and Avery - and many others?

The sun is by far the largest driver of our climate - I have no argument with that. Many of the theories by the authors above may be onto something but the important links still haven't been made IMHO that would change my view. The data just doesn't back it up yet.

This makes sense and goes a lot further to explaining it rationally.
    http://www.knmi.nl/kenniscentrum/zachte_winter_2007/index_en.html

#13 filski, Mar 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
  14. scottynz

scottynz First Runs

wow, im sitting at my place in whistler and still looking at some huge snowbanks out the window...