1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Winter Olympic new events

Discussion in 'Events & FIS' started by zac150, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah same.
    Tbh

2. Red_switch

Red_switch Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: 30 Day

Those rails are ****ing gross. Where's the box section at?

Course also seems slow, thought that for the boarders, now double think it after seeing the skiers.

3. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

As someone who isn’t into either slope style events boarder or skier can someone explain to me the concept of flow.

Was it the course? Or the competitors but they all seemed to go from one side of the course to the other through the rails and it just did to seem to flow at times or am I wrong?

4. Red_switch

flow is one of those terms that gets abused. This course didn't lend itself to flow, but too much flow makes slopestyle a bit boring imho. For the best flow, look at the guys snaking the fastest lines through the skier/boarder-cross, that is flow.

5. W0nkey D0nkey

W0nkey D0nkey One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Aye.
    The rails were used slightly better in the skiing though. But not what I was hoping for.
    Tbh the judges sort of killed the whole vibe in the final by dropping a 95 in the first run.. Then everyone else just bombed out in the first couple of features.
    X Games is by far the better competition.

6. zac150

I guess that was what I wanted to see guys snaking fast lines, not braking hard to switch lines. I wondered if they were avoiding harder features?

7. Donzah

No..
    They were trying to maximize the line.
    You hit it too hard and you're gaping most of the rails.

Red_switch likes this.
  8. Red_switch

A good number of the skiers barely bothered. That's actually fairly BS at the olympics imo. But I suspect it has a little bit to do with the difficulty in holding speed through the course. In the best built parks, the landing of each feature should set you up for the following feature, if that's the case, then missing one feature doesn't mean you've just gotta ride out the rest of the run (it's actually the way to build parks that encourage decent progression for people focussing on individual features at a time).

Those rails are shit, way too much room to be sloppy. Overall the range of features was way underutilised, a longer course with fewer features in each section would have been better. Should be a decent air up high too.

I haven't properly watched the x games in probably 15 years, do people over 18 still watch it?

9. Red_switch

That's why "flow" shouldn't be just thrown around in slope style commentary. The layout of the course didn't really encourage flow if one wanted to really use the full range of features and not just hit the central line. But it is possible to build parks that do flow more than that one and still provide a good range of features.

10. Donzah

If you haven't watched the X games.....

It's kinda the biggest most current deal....

Chaeron likes this.
  11. Donzah

Big Air jump looks quite. .
    Um
    Little.
    Practice today

12. W0nkey D0nkey

Agree..
    Yes. The level of skiing (and snowboarding) in the X Games was mind blowing.

Chaeron likes this.
  13. Red_switch

I "watch" them. But when I was at high school we used to take the week off school and park up in front of ESPN for the duration, didn't miss anything. I don't think ESPN even show it on telly in NZ anymore.

14. W0nkey D0nkey

Medium air.

15. Red_switch

Also, call me old school, but skiers gapping the **** out of rails and only sliding maybe 10% of their length is lame. The point of rails is to stay the **** on them. Make them narrow like real handrails, and at least try and hit their full length, or **** off.

16. Donzah

Sure.
    On the way to the vans warped tour.
    Who watches Telly in NZ?

Red_switch likes this.
  17. Donzah

You're old school

18. W0nkey D0nkey

I think it's cos the rails were ferkin big. Same thing happened in the snowboarding.. I said that in here and was told it's not a rail jam so why does it matter.

19. Red_switch

People are still hitting freaking huge rails in the street on the East Coast of the US. Spinning onto rails like that is just an art-wank risk mitigation strategy. Clearing sections of rail used to get you scored down in rail jams (no idea if it still does), should be the same in slope style.

20. zac150

I guess the aerials support @sly_karma views on judged events.

CarveMan likes this.
  21. sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Aerials is great to watch live. The height they get is fuggin ridiculous, you can't fully appreciate how far up they go from the TV coverage. Apex had a couple of freestyle world cups back in 2005 and 2006 so we saw plenty of it then, plus the jump site is always busy early season with several national teams training there before the first world cup round of the year. They had superpipe in those events too and it was just as lame then. Pipe is almost never used now. But the moguls course and aerials site make some good viewing and we are lucky to have great athletes based here and see them training.

Still, should aerials be in the olympics? No. Not enough competitors, almost zero grass roots base. It's a sport that only really exists at world cup/olympic level and then at just a handful of locations on the globe. The judging is archaic, they see only the side view of the jump and in real time. No video replay, no multiple camera angles. This simply can't stand when the TV audience has access to all of the video in hi def slo mo. If you're going to have a judged event, your judging better keep up with the times and be the best it can be. Even frickin figure skating has upped its game, now the technical elements are scored on the fly and updating through the skater's performance, and judges can flag certain portions of a routine for video review to clarify a score.

I'm still a big believer in citius, altius, fortius and solely judged events don't have a place within that context. The olympics does itself a disservice by trying to emulate X Games. There's a place for both, why try to be everything to everyone?

cqen2l, Heinz, Telemark Phat and 3 others like this.
  22. luvthabumps

luvthabumps A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Back in MEL ( with annual trips to the 604 )
    Yeah, I don't get why they don't use replay for judging in these subjective events. They use it in surfing ( and I get that clearly two surfers could be surfing at the same time so that makes it difficult to judge) and with the speed at which people are spinning tricks etc it must be very hard to see everything in real time. Even things like the grabs that are popular again in moguls - you wonder if the judges can see all of that at real speed if someone doesn't quite get the grab.

sly_karma likes this.
  23. sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

You can't put the genie back in the bottle - the public see the TV replay and often from several angles. Undermines the officials and eventually the integrity of the sport itself when incorrect decisions become official results despite available technology that can prevent this. Most sports have come to grips with technology over time, there is a different solution for each sport and administrators have to be careful not to let the tech rule the game. And FFS keep control of the lunatics and don't allow those ridiculous coaches' challenges they have in the NFL.

24. Ramshead

Ramshead One of Us

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Chaeron likes this.