Winter Olympics 2022?

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
"Global push to strip Beijing of Olympics" reads front page headline in 'The Age' September 22.
I've been wondering when this might arise as an issue and have raised it briefly in other threads. Of course, there's the virus, which has led to the postponement of the Tokyo games. Will elite athletes want to take the risk of travelling by plane in 18 months? My friend the pilot tells me he won't be travelling by air any time soon. A vaccine could change this.
But there's also Hong Kong and the CCP's stance on human rights more generally, including the treatment of the Uighurs in Xinjiang and now revelations of "hundreds of thousands of Tibetans in ... forced labour camps".
Interested in people's views. I gather the Chinese government has been promoting snow sports and views the Games as a PR opportunity. But that might not go so well.

Reactions: cold wombat

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
here, now
"Global push to strip Beijing of Olympics" reads front page headline in 'The Age' September 22.
I've been wondering when this might arise as an issue and have raised it briefly in other threads. Of course, there's the virus, which has led to the postponement of the Tokyo games. Will elite athletes want to take the risk of travelling by plane in 18 months? My friend the pilot tells me he won't be travelling by air any time soon. A vaccine could change this.
But there's also Hong Kong and the CCP's stance on human rights more generally, including the treatment of the Uighurs in Xinjiang and now revelations of "hundreds of thousands of Tibetans in ... forced labour camps".
Interested in people's views. I gather the Chinese government has been promoting snow sports and views the Games as a PR opportunity. But that might not go so well.
the campaign originates in the right wing of the UK conservative party
everyone’s signing up to be Donald’s friend in case he wins the election

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
here, now
If Olympics can only be hosted by the pure then they’d never get run. All nations are some variation on morally compromised.
That’s not any defence of China’s human rights abuses.
Having said that, I’d not travel there as a spectator. Would I get back out?
I have my name on a list somewhere to be a volunteer at the alpine events
anyone else interested click here

skinavy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2001
Canberra, ACT
From a few days ago

Oxford university report on cost of holding Olympics

Key points:
  • According to Oxford University researchers, the 2000 Olympics in Sydney cost $6.91 billion, a cost overrun of 90 per cent
  • But the paper found the average Olympic Games budget is exceeded by 172 per cent
  • The researchers are calling on the International Olympic Committee to change the bidding system and manage the Games better

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09...-examined-in-oxford-research-for-ioc/12663464

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
From a few days ago

Oxford university report on cost of holding Olympics

Key points:
  • According to Oxford University researchers, the 2000 Olympics in Sydney cost $6.91 billion, a cost overrun of 90 per cent
  • But the paper found the average Olympic Games budget is exceeded by 172 per cent
  • The researchers are calling on the International Olympic Committee to change the bidding system and manage the Games better

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09...-examined-in-oxford-research-for-ioc/12663464

They'll have to bribe the IOC if they want a meaningful response.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
The hard questions.

So, if not for coronavirus and Trumps stance on “Chyna” would the above mentioned hard questions be being asked? I doubt it.

There were some serious questions over the safety of gay participants headed to Sochi, and concerns over rainbows worn on uniforms. The venues were supposed to be unfinished and useless, but it all seemed to come together in the end.

What MIGHT actually make a difference for China is Covid, whether they have much of it or not. Whether or not Tokyo goes ahead, what happens with virus spread and financial fallout will be telling. When and if we get a vaccine will also play a part.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
If Olympics can only be hosted by the pure then they’d never get run. All nations are some variation on morally compromised.

That’s not any defence of China’s human rights abuses.

Having said that, I’d not travel there as a spectator. Would I get back out?
If you are Tibetan or an ethnic Uighur I don't think the Chinese Govt. will sell you a spectator 's ticket. The Chinese Winter Olympic team would be devoid of non Haan Chinese.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Most Tibetans and Ethnic Uighurs are being herded into re education camps. That is a cold hard fact.There are no Chinese Nationals who are Kazakh, Tajik, Uighur, Mongolian , Hmong or Tibetan who are in the winter Olympics team for China.China treats its ethnic minorities very poorly indeed. Fooey on The Chinese Govt.!!!

Dui

Hard Yards
Jan 8, 2020
Most Tibetans and Ethnic Uighurs are being herded into re education camps. That is a cold hard fact.There are no Chinese Nationals who are Kazakh, Tajik, Uighur, Mongolian , Hmong or Tibetan who are in the winter Olympics team for China.China treats its ethnic minorities very poorly indeed. Fooey on The Chinese Govt.!!!
Well, I have not opinion on most of what you just said. As I have not eye-witnessed it myself and don't know if the media (either Western or Chinese) can bet trusted... The only exception is, from my personal experience, my minority family members and friends would not say that have been treated by Chinese government poorly. But who knows, it's a huge country....

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Well, I have not opinion on most of what you just said. As I have not eye-witnessed it myself and don't know if the media (either Western or Chinese) can bet trusted... The only exception is, from my personal experience, my minority family members and friends would not say that have been treated by Chinese government poorly. But who knows, it's a huge country....
Fair comment but as an Amnesty International member for decades, from what I have learnt from their reports on Human Rights atrocities in China , it would seem you have been lucky whereas many have not been treated so well at all.
Not just that since you may be Chinese by birth or have relatives living there, so you are being rather diplomatic. The Chinese Govt. has tentacles that reach out and punish even those who no longer reside inside China if they dare rock the boat or ask critical questions.

Dui

Hard Yards
Jan 8, 2020
Yes, Comrade, a past habitual tense there.
The Chinese Govt. is Haan- izing the whole country. It is not a supporter of diversity at all. It is bulldozing the old Turkistani Silk Road city of Kashgar and has turned Lhasa into Lhasa Vegas :-0 .
I used it just in case there's no non-haan Chinese in the 2022 team. Well, I am not a comrade as I am going to retreat. :)

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
here, now
ok, you want to make a political point, but most Tibetans and Uighurs?
whatever is happening in either Xinjiang or Tibet, it's unlikely that the majority of either population is in detention
as for the winter games, they wouldn't have selected their team for 2022 yet

Reactions: Snowwww and Dui

Dui

Hard Yards
Jan 8, 2020
Out of curiosity, I have a question why you don't think China is a good choice for hosting Winter Olympics putting politics aside?
* I was in Hakuba earlier this year and my instructor told me her brother was training in downhill racing in China. I was surprised that a Hakuba local would go all the way to China to do that but she told me the icy conditions there was more suitable. I just started skiing but it sounds to me that China does have the facility to host the Olympics. Besides, there are other winter sports that natural snow is not a must.
* A successful Winter Olympics will see millions more Chinese encouraged to participate in winter sports. I see it as a mostly positive thing for the community. Except that the Ski resorts will be filled with even more Chinese....

Reactions: crackson

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
why you don't think China is a good choice for hosting Winter Olympics
Because it doesn’t actually snow where the skiing is going to be.

The Downhill is the biggest event of the Winter Olympics, just as the 100m is for the Summer Olympics, and it’s a travesty that it’s going to be so manufactured when there are so many wonderful DH tracks around the world.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Out of curiosity, I have a question why you don't think China is a good choice for hosting Winter Olympics putting politics aside?
* I was in Hakuba earlier this year and my instructor told me her brother was training in downhill racing in China. I was surprised that a Hakuba local would go all the way to China to do that but she told me the icy conditions there was more suitable. I just started skiing but it sounds to me that China does have the facility to host the Olympics. Besides, there are other winter sports that natural snow is not a must.
* A successful Winter Olympics will see millions more Chinese encouraged to participate in winter sports. I see it as a mostly positive thing for the community. Except that the Ski resorts will be filled with even more Chinese....
Re the downhill skiing they like hard packed snow which is not common in Japanese resorts. We went to Hakuba for a moguls event in the middle of February. It was very difficult for them to maintain the course because there was to much fresh snow.

Reactions: currawong and Dui

Zeroz

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 8, 2002
Bouvet Island
www.banipal.co.uk
2015 thread. https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/2022-winter-olympics.71877/

Beijing is on the edge of the Gobi Desert, hence the regular sandstorms that blanket Beijing.
Winter is cold, windy and very dry. Dec-March rainfall is about 2cm. That's total rainfall.

There are no mountains near Beijing and no natural snow. I've skied most of them and they're shit.
The skating, luge, curling, etc can be anywhere and will be.

Ski and board events will be on flat hills, all artificial snow, in a dry brown landscape devoid of alpine anything.
2022 is a propaganda event in the wrong place.

Zeroz

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 8, 2002
Bouvet Island
www.banipal.co.uk
2026 could be a good time to (re)visit northern Italy. If not before.
In 2019 in between skiing around Northern Italy we rested in Turin for a few days. Cool city.
We went to the old Fiat Lingotto factory area which is now a great wine, food and retro zone.

We were walking around and got lost nearby in a series of large pedestrian overpasses and huge empty buildings.
They were newish, but weeds were growing through the concrete, windows smashed, windswept, desolate.

As we walked past one of the buildings I saw the huge faded letters from an ancient civilization.

Torino 2006 Winter Olympics Media Centre.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
In 2019 in between skiing around Northern Italy we rested in Turin for a few days. Cool city.
We went to the old Fiat Lingotto factory which is now a great food and retro area.

We were walking around and got lost nearby in a series of large pedestrian overpasses and huge empty buildings.
They were newish, but weeds were growing through the concrete, windows smashed, windswept, desolate, etc

As we walked past one of the buildings I saw the huge faded letters from an ancient civilization.

Torino 2006 Winter Olympics Media Centre.
We were meant to spend a few days in Turin. After landing in Milan. In late Feb 2020.

Didn’t happen........

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I have to say we accidentally stumbled across a World Cup Downhill event in Wengen, we walked down the majority of the course (spectator side of course), and MAN, the atmosphere all the way down was something else! Snowbound mountain ski villages with a rich cultural history of skiing just do this stuff so much better.

I was so excited at finally having the opportunity to go to a Winter Olympics when it was held in Korea, it was a disappointment. Traipsing over paths that looked like building sites to get to the events, pretty much no snow anywhere except where the events were held. It just didn’t have the same atmosphere as that World Cup event.

Politics aside holding a Winter Olympics in locations that don’t hold regular International ski events is a nice idea but falls short of the atmosphere and pageantry that should be present for a Winter Olympics. IMHO of course.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
I have to say we accidentally stumbled across a World Cup Downhill event in Wengen, we walked down the majority of the course (spectator side of course), and MAN, the atmosphere all the way down was something else!
Second biggest / most famous ski race of the year.

Politics aside holding a Winter Olympics in locations that don’t hold regular International ski events is a nice idea but falls short of the atmosphere and pageantry that should be present for a Winter Olympics. IMHO of course.
Yep I’m stoked to have gone to the 2002 Olympics in SLC. That was my first season in Utah, went back for 5 more winters and have done 3 holidays since.

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
Too hard a challenge for my English.
A chance to kill two birds with one stone? Improve your English while giving us insights into China. Only no politics sorry, that is banned except in the "bear pit" which is only available to paid subscribers. But you're not missing much, it's like WW1 trench warfare. Nobody changes position and nobody ever wins.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
2015 thread. https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/2022-winter-olympics.71877/

Beijing is on the edge of the Gobi Desert, hence the regular sandstorms that blanket Beijing.
Winter is cold, windy and very dry. Dec-March rainfall is about 2cm. That's total rainfall.

There are no mountains near Beijing and no natural snow. I've skied most of them and they're shit.
The skating, luge, curling, etc can be anywhere and will be.

Ski and board events will be on flat hills, all artificial snow, in a dry brown landscape devoid of alpine anything.
2022 is a propaganda event in the wrong place.
Yep well said.

Dui

Hard Yards
Jan 8, 2020
Going through the information provided above (thanks everyone) and with a bit of further research, I can see where the frustration is coming from. The alpine skiing could have been held in a better place but I guess at the end the Chinese government wanted it to be as close to Beijing as possible.
I know this probably won't be a popular opinion - China could and should have done a better job in picking the venue, but it was a big issue as well having only two bidders to pick from? IOC to blame as well?

Reactions: crackson

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
* A successful Winter Olympics will see millions more Chinese encouraged to participate in winter sports" and " that the Ski resorts will be filled with even more Chinese....
That will be a reason for some why a successful winter Olympics isn't the best thing that could happen. A few less bogan Aussies who get boorish when drunk would be nice too when we eventually get to go back to visit China's near neighbour, Japan.
Plus, for me, winter Olympics should be where there is expectation of decent natural snowfall for the atmosphere and ambience. Otherwise if the trend is set after Korea and China, Dubai might be next in line for hosting a winter Olympics. They could build more indoor slopes.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Some comments in the 'Japan Snow country Real Estate' thread suggest that Japanese resorts might be hoping for more business from their Chinese neighbours if the Winter Olympics stimulate interest. They do have real snow, after all.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass