Winter sports world Penrith

skinavy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2001
Canberra, ACT
Whatever happened to the big spinny disc proposal where if you got the speed right could ski forever. Wasn't that meant for Penriff as well?

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Does anyone believe it will actually get off the ground?

"international tourists" bahaha.

Do athletes actually use any of the 'top 10' facilities to train at?

Reactions: Chaeron

skinavy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2001
Canberra, ACT

The big one in Netherlands, Landgraaf, gets used for SL training and has some high level (poss FIS) races held there

Reactions: Telemark Phat

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014

They're serious and they're working on it being a adventure precinct. I don't know about the international tourist value but it'd certainly draw some local custom.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
They're serious and they're working on it being a adventure precinct. I don't know about the international tourist value but it'd certainly draw some local custom.
Last IG post was a year ago!

I don’t think it will get built in a post Covid world.

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
Last IG post was a year ago!

I don’t think it will get built in a post Covid world.
You may be right. I wouldn't worry about social media posts, they're not an indicator prior to construction.

I'm just relaying what I know. FYI DPS skis isn't my full time gig. I have a job that actually feeds the family.;)

Majikthise

Sage
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Blue Mts
Interesting location, not sure how the neighbours in "Nepean Shores" will take to it. Surprised it isn't proposed for somewhere on the Panfers block.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Is Stephen Edwards " who will act as the centre’s Performance Director" still around? He was at Perisher but not sure if he is still there.

Don't hold your breathe for this or any of the similar develpments. There have been lots over the years and none of been built.

They have finally finished the water ramp at Chandler in Bris. How many other options were proposed before that got built?

And I think the DA for the bag jump at Jindy sport and rec is currently being considered.

People do train at dry slope and indoor facilities O/S.

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
Is Stephen Edwards " who will act as the centre’s Performance Director" still around? He was at Perisher but not sure if he is still there.

Don't hold your breathe for this or any of the similar develpments. There have been lots over the years and none of been built.

They have finally finished the water ramp at Chandler in Bris. How many other options were proposed before that got built?

And I think the DA for the bag jump at Jindy sport and rec is currently being considered.

People do train at dry slope and indoor facilities O/S.
Yes, you'd be crazy to hold your breath on this one or any such development at this stage. But by the same token, if council sees merit in it and the developer is dogged enough. Who knows.

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
Interesting location, not sure how the neighbours in "Nepean Shores" will take to it. Surprised it isn't proposed for somewhere on the Panthers block.

Its kinda right next door to the cable ski park, hotel accom etc, there is a serious developer behind it, don't forget that out at penrith there are lots of theme park things cable ski / indoor ski dive etc. I think that it would not live or die based on Mr Edwards engagement.

Apparently they have already had overtures from several private schools about blocking regular training if it gets off the ground.

I had a child train with Mr Edwards in Dubai, whist we arranged it as a bit of a lark, it was surprisingly constructive / effective, I think the plans for this one are bigger than the Dubai one.

Last point, year round instructor work :)

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
I think that it would not live or die based on Mr Edwards engagement.
Oh I was not meaning to imply anything like that. Just that he was mentioned in the article and I wondered if he was still around. Not our area in the ski world so we have no idea. If they didn't go to school with my kids, work at Harro's or ski moguls then I am unlikely to know much about them.

Normo

Mostly Harmless
Ski Pass
Sep 21, 2011
Summer: Berowra Waters. Winter: Jindabyne
Imagine how fit and strong you would get skiing every day for the year.
Imagine the VM you could do!!! @Normo......
50vm and half the length of the V8?? That will not get me very fit (unless I walk up it!) :)
If I’m going to do magic carpets, I wanna do REAL magic carpets! :D

Jasper Schwarz

Young but not afraid
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2017
Northern Beaches, Sydney,
50vm and half the length of the V8?? That will not get me very fit (unless I walk up it!) :)
If I’m going to do magic carpets, I wanna do REAL magic carpets! :D
Just depends on how fast you go.
My dad had me doing the old one ski down the hill with tight turns.
That got the Quads burning.

You could always practise your backwards sking.. :whistle:

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
I can’t imagine ever wanting to ski inside on non-snow. In penriff!

Skiing isn’t just a physical action, it’s the environment, it’s the vibe. I’m the same with cycling. A trainer would be a last resort, I enjoy outside too much.

Jonathan_P

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 22, 2018
Adelaide will always lay claim to what they said was the worlds first indoor ski slope on artificial snow Mt Thebarton it went back to an ice rink many years ago due to running cost.

Remember as a kid going tobogganing here.

Reactions: Hanz Onyawaif

Jasper Schwarz

Young but not afraid
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2017
I can’t imagine ever wanting to ski inside on non-snow. In penriff!

Skiing isn’t just a physical action, it’s the environment, it’s the vibe. I’m the same with cycling. A trainer would be a last resort, I enjoy outside too much.
No but I can't think of anything I would rather do more on a 40 degree day than go and shred some turns

Reactions: Jonathan_P

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
you read my mind.

love my skiing.
but love a bit of a balance.
I gotta get in the water.
(is worst thing about summering down south - and the spa is ... well it's a spa ... so just NO. :eek:)
Yep. There’s something wonderful to be found in every season. And skiing in a shed on carpet isn’t one of them!

Jasper Schwarz

Young but not afraid
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2017
I actually find it way to hot to go the beach on a 40 degree day. Just get burnt and dehydrated way to easily.

driving in a car, in air con then into a snow field, kind’ve seems like a good deal to me

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
I would probably go there when I couldn’t be doing anything else (like a wave pool for surfing - think of it being “in addition” rather than “instead of”...).

But then again I used to ski a couple of times a week - when it wasn’t winter - on the Dendix dry slope at Narrabeen Sport and Rec camp in the 80’s, and it was pretty awful (slightly less so on nights it was drizzling or a decent dew).

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
I would probably go there when I couldn’t be doing anything else (like a wave pool for surfing - think of it being “in addition” rather than “instead of”...).

But then again I used to ski a couple of times a week - when it wasn’t winter - on the Dendix dry slope at Narrabeen Sport and Rec camp in the 80’s, and it was pretty awful (slightly less so on nights it was drizzling or a decent dew).
Pretty sure a wave pool is still being built at Sydney Olympic Park. It shouldn’t be too far off opening now

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Not summer, it should be banned. Then we could go straight from spring to autumn.
I don't mind a few warm days and nights.
Good for xmas day and barbies by the pool etc.
as long as I'm not working out in the real hot ones.
10 years of trade work in Qld humidity near killed me....... I still wonder how I really did it. :(

back to OP.
Can see how it works for some, especially the Sydney private schools who must have such a resource for the essential interschools death or glory. ;)

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
I'd ski it, no problems.

It'll be on man-made snow; hell we do that already. My kids would love it, they're not snow snobs yet. As long as I've got my skis strapped on and I'm sliding downhill, I'm happy. What a great workout.
Would be perfect for getting the legs back before heading away on a ski holiday.

Val Desire

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2018
Lindfield NSW
I have fond memories of Tamworth Snowdome in Midlands in England. 4 hour round trip from London, when we lived there when my kids were very little. Great to experience even limited sliding on snow whenever you wanted to, rather than just the annual ski holiday. My kids had their first ski lessons there, and they used to do great Christmas-themed snow play too. I'd certainly check out a Penrith equivalent. It would also attract new people to snowsports - young people whose families wouldn't otherwise be able to afford a snow holiday.

Reactions: Jonathan_P

Kash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2007
Sydney
Would be perfect for getting the legs back before heading away on a ski holiday.

This - if my little ones can get the hang of skiing for a few lessons here vs spending hundreds of dollars on just teaching the very basics while in the mountains this is a great option.

Reactions: Val Desire

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Have you ever driven to Penriff on a 40 degree day?

Cable Ski carpark 1st Feb 2020

IMG_20200201_122349.jpg

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
It's interesting that they did get the go ahead. There was an article written on a day before the vote and it pretty much stated it wouldn't get across the line and even explained why. Ooops.

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
It's interesting that they did get the go ahead. There was an article written on a day before the vote and it pretty much stated it wouldn't get across the line and even explained why. Ooops.

Probs before the money had changed hands, or more to the point, PROBABLY why the money changed hands.

Allegedly

Actually I'm just joking, that would never happen in a first world country like AUS with all of our governance

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass