Winter Surf Thread 2016

Discussion in 'Surf & Marine' started by POW_hungry, Jun 9, 2016.

1. POW_hungry

POW_hungry Part of the Furniture Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I don't reckon I've seen so many whales in one migration than this year. Is it just me that thinks this?
    3-4 weeks ago I was at seal rocks and witnessed maybe no less than 35-40 whales passing northward throughout the day.

2. Ted Harper

Ted Harper One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Surfed North Palmy with the usual Saturday morning dawn patrol crew. Smaller than yesterday when we paddled out a bit after 6:30am and then proceeded to get smaller through the session too, so I am not optimistic that tomorrow's session will be any more than paddling practice and an excuse to hang out until 8am when the coffee shop opens. I'm still up for it though :)

parkmonkey likes this.
  3. parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Both kayak tour groups were huge and both hanging not far from whales, apparently there were a couple in the bay near the surf club putting on a show not far off the beach at sunset yesterday

POW_hungry likes this.
  4. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

Had a grovel mid arvo yesterday on the home stretch hoping that it would pulse a bit earlier than expected. there was the odd and I mean very odd waist high set wave every 20 minutes.

Ted Harper likes this.
  5. Ted Harper

I had an early yesterday at North Palm Beach with our usual paddle-out-no-matter-what group. Started out about the same as Saturday (i.e. not quite big enough, bit of backwash, lovely conditions though) but it managed to stay around the same size - waist-high-ish on the sets - through the session and still looked pretty good when we finished. Surprisingly even a bit of a wave down at the south end observed from the coffee shop afterwards - definitely not enough size for me on my shortboard but a good looking wave for a mal or a SUP.

One of my friends is keen for an early tomorrow; I'm not hugely optimistic of it being anything but tiny but negotiations are underway so I can nip out for a session anyway :)

6. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

7. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

Fake .

Ted Harper likes this.
  8. SAsurfa

SAsurfa One of Us

Yeah just tilted..

There's a great left bank close to home that I've been surfing since late last week. So so fun!!! Fun swell pulse today to 3ft on the sets.

9. gareth_oau

how tilted can it be? the water in front of the wave is level

10. POW_hungry

It was posted on world surfing lolz last week. #fisheyephotoshop look at the lens aberration... It's an embellishment rather than a fake.

11. SAsurfa

SAsurfa One of Us

Nah not totally level. This is better..

[​IMG]

12. Hemsley

Hemsley One of Us

defiantly not fake

[​IMG]

derwent likes this.
  13. parkmonkey

Water in front of the wave isn't supposed to be level, this wave drains the water below sea level

SAsurfa likes this.
  14. gareth_oau

see, I was there and can verify it

POW_hungry likes this.
  15. Peli89

Peli89 One of Us

I had an awesome surf on Sunday at Chiton. It was 3' up to 4' in the sets with light off shores all day. The break is quite a racey shore break / reef break on the sets and I got absolutely smashed on my first wave. Took off late. Pitched on the lip and rode it to the bottom of the ocean. Haha. I'm sporting some nice bruises this week.

parkmonkey, Ted Harper and SAsurfa like this.
  16. parkmonkey

First waves back today, paddled out at wategos on the longboard dry hair immediately swung around into a 2 footer, struggled to stand up but got up and rode it for 400m, pulled off and paddled back out still with dry hair :D got a handful or more of ok rides, hangin 5. 6 days sort of a full 7months since my back went

Fozzie Bear, Belly, Driftwood and 4 others like this.
  17. Hemsley

Hemsley One of Us

Good stuff. My brother is a mad surfer with back probs. it went on him again in Indo about a month ago and had to come home early. Just had his third op...and out of hospital last week. 7 months till he can ski or surf again

18. parkmonkey

I'm really hoping with work i can avoid any further major problems cos i hear lots of stories like your brothers and it sucks, the problem is no one seems to know exactly why they go in the first place

19. Driftwood

Driftwood Addicted

In my mid 20's, I slipped a disc in my lower back that gave me prob's for at least a year, back in the 90's. Tried a few physio recommendations that seemed to help a bit but it kept reoccurring. Tracks mag published an article on back care and it revolved around a martial artist who broke his back in a moto acco. Told he would never walk again, he went all Zen on it and came up with a method that had him not only walking again but competing as well. This was pre-internet and I haven't been able to find any links to it since but I still use it to this day and haven't had a problem for nearly 20 years. Happy to go into details or show you next time I'm down your way.

Ted Harper and parkmonkey like this.
  20. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Details..

21. Driftwood

Driftwood Addicted

Straight back on the floor, knees up, feet flat, elbows by your side.
    Keep an even rhythm, start with applying pressure to your feet just until your lower back leaves the floor. As you let go, start pressing on your elbows until it lifts the upper back. Reverse, repeat. Movement is a slow and controlled rocking motion with an emphasis on yoga style breathing. Sets of 10, inhaling one way, exhaling the other then swapping it over. 5/10 minutes.
    Not a great deal to it, however, felt the most effective with the injury. Still use it as a warm up before normal core exercises these days.

Ted Harper likes this.
  22. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Almost flat here in Sincity.

23. Ted Harper

Had a late morning session at North Palm Beach. Small but rather better than it looked from the carpark - if it was a foot or more bigger it would have been mega but even as it was it was better than ok. Got a couple of dozen waves in about an hour and a half. Water was nice and the air was very warm for mid-August

parkmonkey likes this.
  24. Drewboy

Drewboy One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Small from Sydney and all points south

parkmonkey likes this.
  25. POW_hungry

@SAsurfa

Still not confident on next Saturday for some short-moderate period swell for Sydney/Hunter coasts? WAMS looking ok for 4-5 foot south swell with moderate SW winds... Drought breaker, maybe?

#275 POW_hungry, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  26. Ted Harper

Surfed at Palm Beach with a friend before lunchtime on Friday a couple of hundred metres down from Barrenjoey - bit small but she and I had it to ourselves and we got heaps of waves.

Same bank on the early from about 6:45am yesterday - bit bigger but inconsistent and the second half of the session was spoilt a bit by a couple of guys on mals who paddled into everything way earlier than my friends and I on our short boards could, then pulled out or fell on takeoff - sigh).

Early again today from about 6:30am - a friend and I had a bank in front of North Palmy carpark to ourselves - only really our usual group in the water for the early, the other usual guys were on the next banks north or south of us (how nice to have banks up and down the beach!). Was small when we paddled out but the swell completely died about 8am - not just got full, the swell vanished - and we almost had to do the paddle-of-shame in to the beach but managed to both eventually get a dribbler then had very pleasant coffee and cake in the sun at the coffee shop.

So more swell would be good but spectacularly nice conditions every day at Palm Beach - enjoyed all of it.

FourSquare04 and parkmonkey like this.
  27. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

Today was dreadfully small @Ted Harper and a grovel at best. Went for a 'fitness paddle' at Mid Narrabeen on a couple of desperate banks swarmed by grommets.

I heard Saturday morning was a fun 2ft out of the NE but unfortunately did not have a window to get out there.

I do have a window Monday morning though, and forecast models are predicting a nice little E/NE pulse to start filtering through overnight so I have fingers and toes crossed that we'll see some fun little 2 foot peelers tomorrow morning and the banks look primed on the Narra stretch for some action out of this favourable direction :)

Ted Harper and POW_hungry like this.
  28. POW_hungry

Doing better than me. I haven't surfed for 2 weeks, I feel about 10-15 years older having been out the water for that long. It's been a pretty miserable winter for swell this season. Really has lacked the Southerly top-ups.

29. Ted Harper

Glad you got out there anyway! It was definitely tough going on the wimpy waves(with me being a 75kg guy on a 31 litre 5'11" board) but good practice and very much better than not getting wet - I needed to earn my coffee and cake anyway!

When we finished we had to run the gauntlet of people we know who had just turned up and couldn't believe (1) that we had paddled out or (2) when we said that in our defence it was a fair bit bigger and better when we paddled out and only died in the last 1/2 hour. Oh well, I don't really care - I had fun and I reckon the conditions were far nicer (aside from wave size) than the next few days look to be offering.

I am pretty lucky in that my wife has been putting up with my need for surfing (and skiing) for about 37 years and she likes the people I surf and ski with so permission is usually granted. I am also quite good at deferring things I should be doing in order to get a session in ;)

FourSquare04 likes this.
  30. dayzoff

dayzoff One of Us

Well Sunday was a small swell but managed to find this beach not far south of Ulladulla offering up a lot of fun in the late arvo. Banks are sculptured there at present. And yes there was only three out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

31. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

32. Ted Harper

So I _did_ end up going for a late-morning surf today after all... A friend messaged me they were home sick with a sore throat and thought a "salt water gargle" might help, so we went up to Barrenjoey for a 90 minute or so session as sore throat therapy ;) We had it to ourselves.

I took my son's CI Pod board (6', 35 litres or so, fair bit of volume up-front and thick rails) rather than my 5'11" 30l CI Fred Stubble because I thought it was going to be a bit of a grovel and I actually had a lot of fun and it was good riding a different board I have hardly ridden before. I don't like the Pod as much as my normal board (not loose enough for me and has to be surfed too much back-foot for me) but gee it is easy to catch waves and float through weak mushy sections. According to my GPS tracker I got 35 waves(!) in the session and my friend wouldn't have been far behind that tally, so we got a good haul of admittedly small, weak waves (with added cross-chop and pretty serious backwash).

FourSquare04 likes this.
  33. Ted Harper

Got a tip-off this morning from a friend waiting for the bus to the city that the surf was _on_ - negotiated myself a window for a one-hour session late morning and it was good.

Around 3-4', offshore (fairly strong at times) and breaking pretty solidly even around the high tide when I was in the water. Got 8 good ones in my hour (riding my normal CI Fred Stubble); would have been more but a couple of people sitting inside me or further out consistently called themselves waves, paddled in to them, then chickened-out of the (admittedly quite steep and sucky) takeoff, leaving almost zero time to spin around and go for the super-late takeoff - I have to learn to be less polite and channel my inner city-beach surfer... Not really a problem though; I was happy with all the waves I got and - thankfully, since my wife warned me not to come home damaged - I only got pounded a couple of times on the far-too-late takeoffs and also in the shorebreak.

I suspect if tomorrow is similar it could well be worth sneaking out...

FourSquare04 and POW_hungry like this.
  34. POW_hungry

Got my fill in Bondi this morning. ~3ft, with the odd bigger nug.
    Crowds were at a minimum (7-8am).
    Images Courtesy of Aquabumps.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

35. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 A Local

@Ted Harper looked fairly straight in your pic. How are the 'banks' holding up along the stretch?

A couple form this morning courtesy of Mike from SPOY:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

36. Ted Harper

That photo was from more-or-less right on high tide just as I was heading home; it was easier to make (but also a harder wipeout when you didn't) earlier with less water over the banks. Still the strong offshore held them up long enough you could play chicken with the close-outs - leading to a couple of the minor beatings I took :)

NOTE: it IS Palm Beach so straight-handers and backwash come with the territory...

Still a good array of banks and channels. I didn't check the north end of Palmy today but there were guys out from bend-in-the-road down to about in front of 2108 Espresso (plus some beginners right down in Kiddies' Corner) and the swell had enough peakiness in it that rideable stuff was popping up everywhere, so just sitting somewhere random would yield a rideable wave every few minutes. For reliably fast and mostly makeable walls the bank I was on and the next one north were pretty good and enough of a channel each side that the paddles back out were fairly straightforward.

You can see from my GPS trace that at least the rights I took followed more-or-less then same bank line : http://surf.traceup.com/stats/u?uId=557376&vId=35833

If I had been given permission for a longer session I would have happily stayed in the water another hour or so. Haven't opened negotiations for tomorrow yet ;)

#286 Ted Harper, Aug 25, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  37. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Have not surfed in 2 weeks down here. No swell for the protected winter reefs. Too busy at work.
    Hoping for a quickie after work if enough swell. Borderline...

38. POW_hungry

Got my fill over Friday/Saturday.
    Pulled into the carpark after several hours drive to the sounds of full grown men screaming 'get out'... Not the kind chat I wanna hear after a lengthy drive. Four dudes had vacated the pulsing 4-5 foot clean line-up due to a 3m ("maybe 4m"?) shark breaching within 40-50m of them. I never saw it but all 4 of them agreed that it managed to completely breach it's full length out of the water, it was moving that fast apparently. After some pretty hysterical chat a pod of dophins moved through the line-up so I figured that was my green light.
    Here's the four boys in the bottom left of this shot, somewhat shaken - they didn't return to the line-up that day.
    [​IMG]
    Suited up and got out there. Had it to myself for about 15-20mins before about another 5-6 fellas joined me. Lots of fun. Some bigger sets on dusk Friday night.
    Saturday, still fun but about half the size.
    [​IMG]

39. Drewboy

Drewboy One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

After a week down the snow have found the banks have deteriorated significantly

40. POW_hungry

FIFY

41. Peli89

Peli89 One of Us

Had another cranking surf last weekend of the south coast of SA. The surf has been cooking for the weekend warrior for the last few weekends now. The banks around here are certainly much more racey than what I’ve been finding in vicco, but I will take the warmer water. Am firmly in my 3/2 and no booties over here now.

This weekend is looking cross/onshore with not a lot of swell around so may be a good weekend to bank some points..

42. SAsurfa

SAsurfa One of Us

Small world, my English/Wales mates where up there for this session, paddled out with you it seems like, as was after the shark scare. Chat to any of them? One guy with beard kills it on his twinny if he was surfing it. Joey blonde hair guy frothing legend as well.

I surfed Middleton Bay yesterday, not as cold as I thought it would be, no icecream headache and OK. Lasted a coupe of hours with booties and hit it again for a short late arvo sesh.

POW_hungry likes this.
  43. POW_hungry

Yeah, I did. They didn't know there had been a shark that cleared the line-up. I almost didn't mention it to them, but they were the ones that joined me.
    The bearded mate of yours got the sickest double hands in the face, take off barrel. Good lads. They were pretty beat though, sounded like they'd been surfing all day.
    It's always comical hearing the UK accent then seeing boys like that rip. Good vibes.

Ted Harper likes this.
  44. SAsurfa

SAsurfa One of Us

Haha yep that's Tommy, absolutely rips, great guys!! And they had already surfed Sandbar and Blueys, haha.

POW_hungry and Ted Harper like this.
  45. POW_hungry

How long you back for? looks like a reasonable swell due there in the coming days.

46. SAsurfa

SAsurfa One of Us

Out Sunday, just here for a bucks tomorrow.

POW_hungry likes this.