1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Winter Tires Lauded For Ice, Snow Safety CBS NEWS

Discussion in 'Noticeboard' started by snowtyres, Aug 7, 2008.

1. snowtyres

snowtyres Addicted

CBS NEWS Report - Winter Tires Lauded For Ice, Snow Safety
    (Link to article and video below)

(CBS) Many motorists think SUVs or other vehicles with four-wheel drive are the ticket to driving safely on snow, ice or both.

But it turns out, they can slip and slide about as much as other vehicles.

On The Early Show (Wednesday 07/02/07), CBS News correspondent Susan McGinnis got behind the wheel of an SUV and got what she called "alarming" results.

But she learned from an expert that winter tires could provide plenty of extra winter driving safety.

Informative video here, after you get through the Colgate commercial...............

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/02/1...S&attr=_2464029

#1 snowtyres, Aug 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  2. Hobber

Hobber A Local

Hey there...

I have seen the postings for years, but for your average punter who spends a few weekends and a week down the snow each year, having snowflakes must result in increased tyre wear and noise for the 95% of the rest of the driving for the year...

I can understand it for resort vehicles, or people in the US, but is it REALLY practical in Australia?

note I live in Sydney so am not a potential customer [​IMG]

edit: and am not having a go as your information is always spot on, just wondering about the practicality for the average punter

#2 Hobber, Aug 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  3. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

That was my thought Hobber - my Forester does 99% of its k's on bitumen, so I ditched the pseudo-4WD tyres it came with & put on some nice road tyres, with the plan to fit chains when required. I almost had to last weekend, was slipping around a bit, but it's worth it to have a vastly superior tyre for the majority of my driving.

If I was driving up to Hotham on a regular basis i'd consider it though.

4. Hobber

Hobber A Local

Yeah the OEMs for the Liberty are RE050A's which are performance summer tyres - very slippery... I have chains in the boot and almost put them on last weekend as well... if traffic was heavier I would have (I had almost infinite brakeing distance and could drive as slow as I liked).

#4 Hobber, Aug 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  5. CarveMan

I bought the Bridgestone Adrenalin which is apparently the update to the RE050 - standard WRX tyre as well.

Looks like I might have to fit them to get down on Sunday night. Hope so!

6. snowtyres

snowtyres Addicted

Because of the range of tyres supplied with new AWD vehicles the problem compounds.
    The Forester tyres are all-season, a bit of this and a bit of that, certainly not a winter/snow tyre.
    “By design, All-Season tires are a compromise intended to provide acceptable traits under a wide variety of conditions. However, that compromised goal prevents them from being a master of any one of them. The All-Season tire tread designs and compounds that are engineered to provide extended mileages and durability under the summer's sun are less effective in winter's freezing temperatures, and through snow and on ice. Specific winter tires deliver much better snow and ice performance than All-Season tires because their tread designs and tread compounds are engineered to master those conditions, while summer tires are engineered to deliver better handling in the rain and on dry roads. “
    from http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=120#wont_as

The high specification Bridgestone Potenza RE050A on the Liberty and WRX " was developed to provide good traction along with responsive and predictable dry and wet road handling. It is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice. "
    from http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE050A

If you drive regularly from Sydney you would be best with a higher, V speed rated “all-weather tyre with the snow flake symbol†which is not the same as OE all-season, there may be a little more noise but will not be not intrusive ( There are EC and Australian ARD tyre noise regulations) , tyre wear will not be an issue either. These tyres on our family Audi Allroad were replaced only after 3 years and 76,263 kilometers. Some of the Perisher Blue Subarus are now set up this way.

Snow chains are designed to provide the vehicle with even more traction with winter/snow tyres fitted, they are technically not designed to change a vehicle with high speed performance summer tyres into a safe and balanced winter performer. Most vehicle owners hand books will highlight this.

#6 snowtyres, Aug 10, 2008
  7. kiwiski

kiwiski Hard Yards

I bought a set of Yokohama Ice Guard winter tyres last week and tried them out over the weekend. Heading up the ski field road at Rainbow yesterday I was following a Nissan Pathfinder which was doing a crabwalk becaue they had chains on the front and the back end of the vehicle was drifting wherever the camber of the road took it. With the snow tyres all around plus chains on the front wheels I felt 100% steady the whole way up the road as other 4wds were sliding everywhere. And at Hanmer Springs ski field today there was a Toyota Landcruiser blocking the road which had lost back end traction and slid into the bank. All the SUVs were skidding out and spraying snow everywhere, but my little Subie never so much as slipped an inch. I am really stoked with how well the tyres handled the conditions

But for the vast majority of weekend warrior skiers and boarders they are better to just leave the cars at home and take a bus up (especially on the NZ access roads). On dry roads the snow tyres feel mushy

I will only be running the winter tyres 3-4 months a year, I will get a set of summer tyres and wheels and swap them around as conditions require.

8. Bal

Bal One of Us

If you are really keen on having performance during the week, you can run two sets of rims. With something like a Subaru, you could run 17's with road rubber and then put some stud-less winter tires (I used to use Bridgestone Blizzaks before switching to studs in Alaska) on some cheap steel 15" rims and keep your winter rubber costs down. You just keep a floor jack in the garage and switch out your rims on a Friday afternoon. I would find it far less hassle to change 4 tires in my dry garage than put a set of chains on while lying on the side of the road. If you knew things were going to be dry that w/e you could just drive the road rubber and carry chains just in case. I love good winter tires - studded or not. I plan to buy some Nokian studs for the truck this winter - the ultimate in winter driving performance.

9. CarveMan

Obviously you'd be stupid to have anything but studs in Alaska, but don't overestimate the little time it takes to fit a pair of modern chains. I chose performance tyres for my car & will spend the 5 mins if necessary to fit chains. Plus it's only Buller we're talking about - the NZ roads are a different story.

10. snowtyres

snowtyres Addicted

Having appropriate tyres is just as important at Buller as it any where else, even more so for vehicles with parking permits within the village.

refer http://www.mtbuller.com.au/winter/Village_Passes.aspx

guidelines # 3. Vehicle Safety
    “ When applying for a Village Parking or Access Permit the applicant warrants that the vehicle will be fitted with appropriate tyres for snow season driving, carry chains that are capable of being fitted to the vehicle.......â€

#10 snowtyres, Aug 27, 2008
  11. Bal

Bal One of Us

Some people actually seem to prefer some of the studless tires because they are quite often better siped and have a better rubber compound. I'd rather have a top notch studless than a carp studded tire.

I guess it's been almost 10 years since I fitted chains and was always somewhat challenged in this area. And I hate driving on chains too, but I guess it's not than many miles that you have to drive with them on.

#11 Bal, Aug 28, 2008
  12. CarveMan

Exactly. My car has done 50,000 km, & would be lucky to have driven 100km on snow. Chains work fine for me, but if I lived at Hotham or NZ i'd have 2 sets of rims for sure.

13. trappers

trappers Safety not guaranteed Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Yep precisely ...

#13 trappers, Aug 28, 2008
  14. Rush

Rush Pool Room

I'm not quite sure where the idea that modern snow tyres are noisy and give rubbish handling on tarmac comes from.

Modern snow tyres (that are designed for passenger cars) give fantastic wet weather performance, aren't any noisier than normal tyres and work fine on tarmac.

I spoke to my mate who drove on winter tyres for 18 months in England. He loved them, in all weathers and all conditions. The only problem was during the 'peak' of summer in England...the rubber would become too soft and you'd start sliding around in the dry....

..which he reckoned was loads of fun anyway [​IMG]

#14 Rush, Aug 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013