1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Winterhaus Lodge

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by Squidly, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Squidly

Squidly One of Us

Has anyone stayed here? and willing to pass judgement, never stayed o/n in Thredbo so any comments appreciated.

2. whatajoke

whatajoke Hard Yards

Cant help you, sorry. But im sure staying anywhere in Thredbo will be better than average.

3. AlSki

AlSki First Runs

Winterhaus is up toward the Alpine way so it's fair to say it's a bit of a walk to the village-all downhill that is....bit of a slug back up to the lodge however there is a shuttle bus that circulates around the village at regular intervals during the day...not sure about night-time. Sastrugi used to be Thredbo resident who would be better educated as to what the 'living conditions' of winterhaus are like-perhaps PM Sas..........anyway, unless you are afetr 4 or 5 star the majority of older lodge style accom will be the range of 3-3.5 star rating-very comfy & affable. hope this helps. you'll enjoy cause thats what you're there to do...BTW I used to work @ thredbo & the place has a really nice feel to it..more intimate thatn PB becuase of the village atmosphere..........hope this helps
    A

4. Squidly

Squidly One of Us

Thanks AlSki, hiking around doesn't bother me, I think its good to get some exercise before you put the skis on. I'm only after 3 star affordable accomodation, something warm and comfortable and somewhere to sleep, as we'll spend most of the day on the slopes, rain, hail or shine.

5. Kangaroo

Kangaroo One of Us

Beeper,

We stayed there last year for 7 nights in late August 2007 and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again if a good deal came up. The family room was ok, perhaps a little cramped. The host is a fine fella.

Given the steepish stairs to the carpark, having to lock and unlock the chain to the parking spot and the inconvenient location of the drying room, I figure that it is probably better value (money & time) to stay in Jindabyne and have a car space directly outside a room.

For years we have mostly stayed on-snow, mainly at the RiverInn, but have decided that it is better economics to stay in Jindabyne (especially since I have a company fuel card).

If you are flying solo, or perhaps with one other, Winterhaus is highly recommended by me. I think that having 3 kids and a wife who demands door to door service and limited walking, Winterhaus wasn't the better option. The drive from Jindy provides a chance to relax for me. Loading up the car, the short drive, then unloading the car and sorting out the kids was a bit stressful at times staying up the hill (whether it be the Lantern or other places we have stayed at).

The food is pretty good at Winterhaus, but the dinners don't cater for kids too well. Fancy stuff for kids doesn't work. This is where the RiverInn was superior (other than its great location).

Cheers

6. Squidly

Squidly One of Us

Thanks Kangaroo, its just me and my brother, and we're not too fussy, so I'll give them a call.

7. sastrugi

sastrugi At the centre of it all Ski Pass: Gold

Winterhaus has been covered pretty well here by those who have stayed. I haven't been in the rooms, but for Beeper it sounds exactly like what you want for the price you want. If you're buggered at the end of the day, you can always catch the shuttle to Bela's corner so you only have the last lot of stairs to negotiate.

I personally would always choose to stay on mountain than to drive, because it's winter and the weather and road conditions are not predictable. Ideally you would like to be snowed in the Village, not down the road fitting chains trying to get up the hill for a powder day. But each to his own, I don't have a tribe to lug around ski school so I can understand Kangaroo's view of finding it easier to stay down the hill if the accom is that much cheaper for a family of 5 [​IMG]

#7 sastrugi, Jun 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013