Winter's Snowed-In BBQ Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
Fast burn, slow burn.... either way with a good base down a slow burn of top ups followed by sunny days with good freezes ie next weeks forecast, than both August and September will good (assuming -ve IOD does not turn late season into a rain fest - which could also mean a snow fest too).

If the dumps come again, it's a bonus and will probably put this season past 2017/2018/2019 for snow on the ground. I'm still tapping that toe for 3m at Spencers Ck but I've got to say I've worn a hole in my shoe and it's getting bigger. I've been tapping since about 1995.

Reactions: Goanna

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Fast burn, slow burn.... either way with a good base down a slow burn of top ups followed by sunny days with good freezes ie next weeks forecast, than both August and September will good (assuming -ve IOD does not turn late season into a rain fest - which could also mean a snow fest too).

If the dumps come again, it's a bonus and will probably put this season past 2017/2018/2019 for snow on the ground. I'm still tapping that toe for 3m at Spencers Ck but I've got to say I've worn a hole in my shoe and it's getting bigger. I've been tapping since about 1995.
Falls Creek may get up to 2 metres by early September. We shall wait and see. They got it in in 2017.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
WZ are seeing some decent snow falling on August 11/12th .
They predict 10-20 cms down to 1200 M.. That could be a good top up for Mt. Buffalo.

Of course we are seven days out but I will wait , watch and observe. I was planning be skiing at Falls Ck. early next week and fancy a XC ski at Mt. Buffalo on Thursday next week.
If it happens it could happen overnight so that the temperatures would be low enough coming into dawn on Thursday August 12th next week.
Alas lockdown No. 6 has come as predicted :-(.

Last edited:

Craig B

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 11, 2005
Manly, Sydney
www.instagram.com
MSLP anomaly chart for July, can see the mid-latitude frontal influence, with WA getting constantly smashed, as did South Australia, and then the mountains, which were luckily cold enough (re air mass) to bring a net positive result.

1628134746878.png

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
My 2c, have spent the week running the long-termers (for the first time in age's ;) ), a few centimetres on or about 12th-13th (there is a thread on this) and then a big fat blocking high all the way until the end of the model run 20-21/8. Some of the runs have a very minor front coming through on the 16th.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

David-eTO

Addicted
Jan 20, 2020
Canberra
Good day everyone,

While driving from Ngunnawal toward Belconnen early Saturday morning, I noted some snow on highest peaks. It's still a sight that amazes me but I hope it was the real thing and not a very cold early morning driven illusion.

Has anyone else noted the same white thing?

kja

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Sep 25, 2017
Good day everyone,

While driving from Ngunnawal toward Belconnen early Saturday morning, I noted some snow on highest peaks. It's still a sight that amazes me but I hope it was the real thing and not a very cold early morning driven illusion.

Has anyone else noted the same white thing?
Not an illusion, plenty of snow up on Gingera and Bimberi peaks currently!

Reactions: POW Hungry

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
The EC is picking up some 10-20 cms snow falling at Mt. Stirling on August 16th. We need a top up of snow to coincide with if and when we are released from Lockdown No. 6..
We are 8 days out from this date so this modelling will bounce around but it has my interest now. The four day rule would have better predictions being made on August 12th which is on Thursday.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I think that's it for this year
September can bring some big SW fronts in , Baw Baw specials that also make Lake Mountain look very tempting.
Ski Touring The Bogong High Plains will remain a possibility for another 4-5 weeks or so, CV19 restrictions permitting.
I have Nordic skied with fresh full snow cover at Mt. St . Gwinear and Mt. Buffalo in previous seasons in September.
Ski trips to Japan in early 2022 look iffy at present. The Kung Flu is very popular in Japan at present.

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
I think that's it for this year

Go early often?

Succession of freight trains in southern WA, slight reposition of the HP cell & south east would be coping them.

Next trip around the hemisphere, hunch is for south east to get it's turn with a weakening of the HP belt. What that make it? Early September?

Young Angus

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2018
The Bellarine
You'll all hate me for saying it, but for the majority of people unable to get to or fro the snow now, it would be easier for ones sanity if it just started raining now & went to poop!!
So because some people can’t get there it would be best if it got ruined for all the other people who have also been through hell trying to get up there and now might actually be able to? Just to make you feel better about things?

Pretty rubbish thing to say that is.

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
So because some people can’t get there it would be best if it got ruined for all the other people who have also been through hell trying to get up there and now might actually be able to? Just to make you feel better about things?

Pretty rubbish thing to say that is.

Tongue in check. My gut feeling is for an epic spring, snow wise.

More irony this morning, hail so thick on ground in SW WA, the changed light colour is reminding me of snow. However, am about to get up in the top of a huge marri, unbalanced, with snapped out crown, above house.

Might not be carving turns, but plenty of adrenalin.

Young Angus

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2018
The Bellarine
Tongue in check. My gut feeling is for an epic spring, snow wise.

More irony this morning, hail so thick on ground in SW WA, the changed light colour is reminding me of snow. However, am about to get up in the top of a huge marri, unbalanced, with snapped out crown, above house.

Might not be carving turns, but plenty of adrenalin.
Haha could be fun???

I'm usually up for a laugh, that just upset me, mostly because I'm scared my one ski trip this year after awesome conditions could either be cancelled because of more COVID or conditions might be average...and I want some of that sweet pow dammit POW POW! (know that I might have missed the boat on that one)

C'mon Hughey bring home the bacon for August baby!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass