Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
Another cheeky shot of boges, cause why not

20210902_151721.jpg

Winterwolf

One of Us
Jun 2, 2019
Hopefully Gladys lets some of us NSW regions out of lockdown to enjoy it. I'm not liking my chances though.

Adaminaby Angler

One of Us
Ski Pass
As usual, the BoM makes the critical error of merging the tropics with the more poleward regions. There is no "winter" up north—but a dry season; and it was chiefly there wherein much of this winter's "warmth anomaly" occurred, and thus skewed upwards for AU as a whole. The climate up north has absolutely nothing to do with us southerners, being affected by different climate drivers.

Down south, especially in and around the alpine zones, it was a bang-on average winter by pretty much all metrics (Jun–Jul being of average temperature and rather wet; Aug rather warm and dry).

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
As usual, the BoM makes the critical error of merging the tropics with the more poleward regions. There is no "winter" up north—but a dry season; and it was chiefly there wherein much of this winter's "warmth anomaly" occurred, and thus skewed upwards for AU as a whole. The climate up north has absolutely nothing to do with us southerners, being affected by different climate drivers.

Down south, especially in and around the alpine zones, it was a bang-on average winter by pretty much all metrics (Jun–Jul being of average temperature and rather wet; Aug rather warm and dry).
The tropics still has seasonal anomalies for 'sub-tropical winter' - in a sense of the JJA season. I am a bit confused why you suggest the topics should be omitted from a JJA seasonal report?

The greater region (by area & populous) of the continent is sub-tropics so it's simply referred to as 'Winter'.

I am eyeballing a ~80% 'above average temps' or more for sub-tropical regions of the continent. Look at poor old Tasmania sweltering... per capita, Tassie takes the cake for temp anomalies.

Winterwolf

One of Us
Jun 2, 2019
After early next week's top up it looks like the hair dryer is out again later in the week, with a wet rather than snowy change to follow. Hopefully there is better news the week after next.

Reactions: Jacko4650

Adaminaby Angler

One of Us
Ski Pass
The tropics still has seasonal anomalies for 'sub-tropical winter' - in a sense of the JJA season. I am a bit confused why you suggest the topics should be omitted from a JJA seasonal report?

The greater region (by area & populous) of the continent is sub-tropics so it's simply referred to as 'Winter'.

I am eyeballing a ~80% 'above average temps' or more for sub-tropical regions of the continent. Look at poor old Tasmania sweltering... per capita, Tassie takes the cake for temp anomalies.
Oh nah I shoulda specified that because it's posted in an alpine/snow-related thread (mostly for the mainland resorts it seems), a national anomaly which includes the Torrid Zone doesn't really mean much.

Anomalies tend to differ greatly in short distances, for even within a region like, say, Southern NSW, there can be a striking divide in anomalies by merely crossing the ranges—which is how Jul 2020 was among the warmest recorded on the western side, but on the eastern side it was right on average (the opposite for e.g., Jul 1995). I find that mapped anomalies tend to hide these localised differences owing to their smoothed nature, not to mention the issue of station coverage and siting changes over time (the SW Slopes in particular have seen a severe reduction in stations since the 1960s).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass