Winter's Snowed-In BBQ Forum

Marty McSly

Not a monster
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
At lot of us were very happy for a mo.. then @Kletterer took his toys away… I hope @Kletterer isnt a skydiving instructor.. “could be a great jump but the chute may not open”
Nah, he's a climber.

This aspect is a great challenging climb. As long as the pitons don't fall out.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Case in point, exhibit A... Latest GFS with NADA/ Sweet FA.
00z suggests Ridge out:
1657428270067.png

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
Everyone remember 2016??
Evil lol.

Rain snow rain snow RAIN RAIN SNOW SNOW SNOW rain RAIN snow SNOW.

I added up the snowfall totals once for 2016 from the NSW resorts and it came up just short of 2000. I was part of the old snow forecasting comps back around then so there was accessible snowfall data being kept by one or two in that group that allowed 2000 snowfalls to be tallied. Of course the base never got close to 2000 levels in 2016 for obvious evil reasons!

Reactions: cornice12

rocketboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 9, 2010
Gerroa
Rain snow rain snow RAIN RAIN SNOW SNOW SNOW rain RAIN snow SNOW.

I added up the snowfall totals once for 2016 from the NSW resorts and it came up just short of 2000. I was part of the old snow forecasting comps back around then so there was accessible snowfall data being kept by one or two in that group that allowed 2000 snowfalls to be tallied. Of course the base never got close to 2000 levels in 2016 for obvious evil reasons!

last day ended in fresh powder on front valley.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
A downgrade for all resorts for today's forecasting modelling regarding Sunday 17th of July.
BOM still likes this Sunday.
EC is picking up something at Lake Mtn. on Thursday week July 21st .. I will keep the four day rule in mind regarding all of these forecasts.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I thought of that( Sunday = Total windhold on lifts ) and bought a lift pass for Falls Creek for Tuesday July 19th which BOM says will not be super windy at all.
Very wise T.

I’m at Hotham.

Saturday will be breezy later (interesting).

Sunday could have a lot of lifts on hold. Might be a good day to go XC on the trails. Ie. The more bushy areas of Christmas/Telmark Hill. Freshies will be nice. The first since Hakuba - Feb 20’

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Very wise T.

I’m at Hotham.

Saturday will be breezy later (interesting).

Sunday could have a lot of lifts on hold. Might be a good day to go XC on the trails. Ie. The more bushy areas of Christmas/Telmark Hill. Freshies will be nice. The first since Hakuba - Feb 20’
I have wondered about Nordic skiing the Cobungra ditch track.You can access it from the XC ski trails on Xmas hill.I have walked the whole thing in green season.With a good dump of snow the old water race route from the gold rush would be fun to ski on .Fallen timber is an issue along there.I don’t think RM at Hotham do much to maintain the route.
It offers good views of The southern BHP and Young’s top.

Reactions: snowgum

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I have wondered about Nordic skiing the Cobungra ditch track.You can access it from the XC ski trails on Xmas hill.I have walked the whole thing in green season.With a good dump of snow the old water race route from the gold rush would be fun to ski on .Fallen timber is an issue along there.I don’t think RM at Hotham do much to maintain the route.
It offers good views of The southern BHP and Young’s top.

Sounds interesting, go early on a good day. Twisted timber ain’t much fun on skis - neither is frequent removal of skis? No RM would rarely if ever venture off the marked / groomed trails.

Something for when you’re bored of all the usual groomed fare?

Btw: You may get some pretty thin cover below 1600m on those north-facing aspects. Unless this is a big year.

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
Sunday's alternate plan is to drive down from Thredbo to Jindy.
Catch the bus up to Smiggs
Ski the trees and try not to fall over too many times

Let's hope the wind isn't that bad but it's almost like a bunch of Austrians determine whether the DaBo lifts runs or not. Slightest puff of wind and they're out. Would never get a job in NZ ;)

glengary

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2015
Im seeing a fairly good flow into lake Eildon Sunday through Monday
A tad warm and westerly winds for Buller until late Sunday

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Can the panel see any snow falling low at Mt. Stirling around July 28-29th ?
12 days away? Pretty low skill territory T. Some idea at 10. Firming by 7 and more at 4.

Up here at Hotham it’s snowy. You’d be taking less risk here or Falls. All ski forms.

This storm should fill the exposed areas on the lower & sunny aspects.

Will report in the morning - I think at 1720m we may have gained 5cm thus evening. V hard to tell with drifting. Should look good by morning.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
12 days away? Pretty low skill territory T. Some idea at 10. Firming by 7 and more at 4.

Up here at Hotham it’s snowy. You’d be taking less risk here or Falls. All ski forms.

This storm should fill the exposed areas on the lower & sunny aspects.

Will report in the morning - I think at 1720m we may have gained 5cm thus evening. V hard to tell with drifting. Should look good by morning.
I will be at Falls tomorrow and Tuesday . They have received 20 cms fresh. I like it !

Reactions: snowgum

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
I think it's been a bit wet today, hopefully the cold stuff tonight will make up for it tomorrow
Yeah, this system is checking in warmer than modelled though.
Freeze level on AWS of NE Vic suggest ~1650m which is a couple of hundred metres above the model guidance.
1658037743782.png

Here's the latest EC's 12z showing FL to 1400m over Vic NE. It's not just Buller - it's warmer than modeled:
1658037687758.png

Reactions: glengary
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using