Winter's Snowed-In BBQ Forum

filski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Mar 14, 2011
For the cost of the cabin, I'll go the cabin. Only $215 for the 2 nights. Lifts made up half the cost.

I suppose I could buy a 4 season tent, my own gear and learn to free the heel... and grow a beard, stop washing and go hang out in the backcountry forum too ;)

Nah, just surprised at the increase in costs, haven't been down in 3yrs but this week is looking good. I'm just being a tightarse.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
oh I don't know... maybe it's the 2-3ft of snow that's gonna fall from this storm, or the 5ft wind loading that's gonna occur as a result of those 70km/h winds.

If you want snow in Aus, you get wind. If you don't like wind, you don't like skiing in Aus.
The best skiing is in the worst weather.

MarkV

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 4, 2016
So assuming wind hold on Sunday, which lifts would be best for the prevailing winds at Perisher? I promise I won't tell anyone else. ;)

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
I predict (and hope) that I'll finally get to try out the chains on my Subaru Sunday morninggetting out of Ngarigo. I better buy a shovel on my way haha.
Yer good luck with that. Nearly every times a big pukage happens the happy campers at both Ngairigo and the diggings get stuck (last few meters before the main road) and clearing isn't a high priority

filski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Mar 14, 2011
Just been offered a bit of floor in Perisher on Sat night, potentially into Monday.

How tough would driving to bullocks flat be in a 4wd for a newbie?

At night. For last tube

Call_me_Ishmael

One of Us
Nov 19, 2011
Just been offered a bit of floor in Perisher on Sat night, potentially into Monday.

How tough would driving to bullocks flat be in a 4wd for a newbie?

At night. For last tube
They won't let you past Cooma without chains I reckon?

Am so sad
Just got back from scratching around the Southern Lakes marginal okay snow
But
Would kill to ski my beautiful little Buller in a full coat this weekend
For those of us that grew up on her I reckon most of us doubted this sort of forecast would EVER eventuate again
It's madness
But God what amazing madness

Reactions: MickM

Karicta

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 9, 2011
Can't help myself - we usually get one system like this each year, sometimes two. It's not THAT extreme, but it will be awesome.

That depends on what actually falls. Once it tops about 80cm, and heaven forbid the magical metre, it becomes really quite rare. If it gets to 120cm, isn't it the first in over a decade?

Blitzen

Hard Yards
Jul 26, 2013
Holy cow...60-70cm on Sunday alone? Right? make a note of the date 6th August 2017 maybe remembered for all of time...

I for one will be taking lots of pics and vids and uploading them for those not lucky enough to
Ride the beast...hold on tight
6th August - Hiroshima, 9th August Nagasaki (off topic)

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Didn't get above 9c in Melbourne today. I can't recall the last time we had a single digit day all day.... it sure was nice.
If it is going to be cold in Melb. then let it be colder than a cross between swimming naked in Lake Wendoree in Ballarat in August and Tony Abbott's conscience. Don't go for winter in half measures. Give us SNOW MA GEDDON !! .

rocketboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 9, 2010
Gerroa
Now 1 - 1.2 M of snow forecast over the next four days. Unheard of in Australia. Looking at some sort of divine intervention as the only explanation....
Is Al Gore back in the country?

No he's not - bull Allan Stern from Pluto's New Horizons is. Maybe he brought some of that Boulder/Colorado goodwill with him ...

Reactions: POW Hungry

Swiss

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2015
Canberra
Snowtomic?

Hope not... :D

skysports-bernard-tomic-wimbledon-exit_3992944.jpg

Reactions: MickM

winter

One of Us
May 6, 2010
southern highlands, nsw
We are in the mountains each weekend, yes tough life. This weekend was always planned to be a camping one at the diggings and there is no room at our club lodge.
Looking at the weather threads it may be one to sit out, do not have a Monday option.
Thoughts please? Snow down to the park gate?
I am mid packing and unsure....
Thanks

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums