Winter's Snowed-In BBQ Forum

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
It's dry! Skied this morning, gardens getting attention in the afternoon and can still see snow on the range. We need a bit of rain away from the hill.

IMG_2707.JPG

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
IMG_2237.jpg

The PWAT figures look impressive for NSW around that period. The farmers deserve a nice soak.
Have driven from between Melb as far North as Mudgee last couple of weks and it's only few pockets of colour.
Despite a great snowpack , defying the pre-season outlooks , the rest of the Country has pretty much experienced what was expected.
WA had a couple of big ( extreme ? ) events also.

More here sums it up.
http://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/...rain-increases-pressure-on-landholders/526957

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
It's been bone dry in Canberra since April. Any idea when this current mini-drought will break?
We're not going to see it from frontal activity, it will take an ECL or inland trough to deliver sustained falls IMO.
Models are pointing to quite a bit of inland moisture but ridging is limiting this for SE Aus. I think we'll see something in the next few weeks.

That said BoM suggests things getting negligibly drier for November.
Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 8.13.48 am.png

DiscoStuAU

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 30, 2015
Melbourne City, VIC
Certainly feels a bit winter like in Melbourne today, not raining but cool wind blowing and a few layers required.
Looking at the forecast for Perth it's quite amazing to see them in the high teens and low 20s all next week....

Reactions: POW Hungry

Seafm

Too far from the snow
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2014
Cairns, Queensland
I'm currently at Chittaway Bay, NSW Central Coast and helped my son polish his car in lovely 18 degree conditions this morning. Didn't even work up a sweat, I'd be drenched doing the same job at home. Off to Hobart tomorrow night.

DiscoStuAU

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 30, 2015
Melbourne City, VIC
It's a balmy weird day in Melbourne town today. Feels warm and quite the contrast to Friday.

I am heading up to Hot Ham on Saturday coming for some sightseeing and photos... any views as to the weather then? Long range forecasts look perfectly acceptable. Not going up for any other reason than to take snaps

Claude Cat

On my bike
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
It's a balmy weird day in Melbourne town today. Feels warm and quite the contrast to Friday.

I am heading up to Hot Ham on Saturday coming for some sightseeing and photos... any views as to the weather then? Long range forecasts look perfectly acceptable. Not going up for any other reason than to take snaps
Looks mostly clear, even warming up to double digits.

Reactions: DiscoStuAU

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Canberra
Okay, just wanted to thank everybody here as well. I want to thank the 'winter only' posters and all the occasional posters who chucked in very helpful observations. Same for everybody who posted in the observations threads, who gave us all a view into what was happening on the snowfields.

Thanks to @POW_hungry, lots of people have been thanking you and you certainly deserve it with your amazing post quality this year. Thanks to @Claude Cat for your input and moderating these forums (now you can stop saying 'stay on topic';)). Thanks to @j_w_x_ for your amazing knowledge. Thanks to @Kletterer, @nfip, @Donzah, @FourSquare04, @The Plowking, @mick chopps, @Majikthise, @DiscoStuAU, @Ted Harper, @Hermon, @Karicta, @Vermillion, @The Fallen, @IAB etc for all of your quality contributions to the various weather threads. I will have definitely forgotten so many people, so I just want to thank everybody who dropped a prediction, had a conversation with me here, posted a picture of the snow and overall made my forum life just a little better. Thank you and I will look forward to when we do it again next year.

I know there are various lurkers who are reading these forums. Come and join and get involved :thumbs:.
Also thanks to Mother Nature for putting on a good show this year and the resorts (particularly Buller) for getting me up the mountain and allowing me to ski on some brilliant rarely opened terrain.

And my final observation for the official season is that I am going for a ride in this increasingly cloudy Melbourne day. Bye season 2017..... it was fun while it lasted :D

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
Its an excellent comment.
There are some obvious go to but interestingly we all have our own fave go-to's , consistent with our own read & understanding.....
Yes. Not easy to explain all the little nuances that form the way we analyse/ interperet things. Wish i could be as eloquent as you guys are.

Reactions: nfip and Jellybeans

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Canberra
Its an excellent comment.
There are some obvious go to but interestingly we all have our own fave go-to's , consistent with our own read & understanding.....
Yep, I keep finding lots of very good modelling sites.
Like I found the new Maue site, and heaps of met students sites. Twitter has been keeping me busy too.

Reactions: nfip

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Before this thread is closed for the summer I'd like to thank all those who've contributed, with a special shout out to @POW_hungry who started the thread and, imo, has been pretty much spot on with all predictions :cheers:
Thank you kind sir (& @Jellybeans1000 ). Without a meteorological degree, one is only a good as the models at hand.
It's the golden era for public access WX models and it's pretty bloody exciting, I reckon. All you need is a networked computer and a concerning amount of passionate hours to trawl, understand and commentate @nfip @SAsurfa @Claude Cat @Kletterer @The Plowking @The Fallen @Trail Blazer @DiscoStuAU @Jellybeans1000 @Snow Blowey @DidSurfNowSki all know the drill.
@mick chopps labelled it #yearoftheupgrade and it's a good call, such a rare year to have the weather bigger than the models for a change - we rarely get seasons like it anymore.

There's a big fat ole brains trust in this forum (some tend to sideline themselves a little too much for my liking) but these guys know their shit. :crap::thumbs: Here's to more posting from the WX brains trust of ski.com.au: @Claude Cat @Sandy @Vermillion @Rush @J_-W_-X @Donzah @Hermon @trappers @Falls expat @Telestrom @filski @Gerg

J_-W_-X

Hard Yards
Sep 28, 2017
Sharp trough with a strong cold-front to move over vic,should bring some weather.
Tie's in with the cfsv2 forecast on this thread if you scroll back.

Depicts winter weather and this should be last of it:)

Attachments

• ecmwf_z500a_v2_ausnz_14.png
    ecmwf_z500a_v2_ausnz_14.png
    87.6 KB · Views: 3
  • ecmwf_z500_norm_globe_14.png
    ecmwf_z500_norm_globe_14.png
    260.2 KB · Views: 4
  • ecmwf_th_500_globe_14.png
    ecmwf_th_500_globe_14.png
    252.6 KB · Views: 2
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass