Advice needed Women's ski goggles

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
i've decided it's time to move on from my el-cheapo goggles to something, well, better ... I'm after a pair that will ideally have interchangeable lenses, including one set for low or flat flight conditions, anti-fog, will fit over a helmet, and have the capacity to cope well in a cold climate (eg Canada, where I'm off to next). Ones that seem to crop up during on-line research include Smith IOS, Dragon NFX2, Anon Wm1, and Electric EG3. Any recommendations, anyone? Also, is this the type of item best tried on in-store rather than purchased on-line?

Karicta

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 9, 2011
Can’t help you with brands, but you must take your helmet into the store and try them on to ascertain the best fit - and that will probably be what determines your purchase.

Reactions: Lady Penelope

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
lenses should typically take less than a minute to change over, so you could take a spare set in your pocket (assuming you arent planning on crashin too much) and change them over as light levels vary

WaitAwhile

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 29, 2012
Perth/part time resident of Jindabyne
When your trying on the googles over your helmet , either get the assistant or look in the mirror and make sure their is no gap between the top of the googles and where it sits against helmet, as it should be a flush fit with a minimal gap
The wife had to replace some googles(OTG) last year that predated the helmet, as their was a 5mm gap above the googles,it only becomes obvious in really cold or windy weather.

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
You need to try for fit. I have a child sized face and smith have always fitted me well. Both myself and chicskikid have smith IOS with a nice variety of lens.

hipo

One off
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2011
Back to here and there
Suggest a few things to look at when purchasing goggles:
1) the natural shape of the goggles fits the shape of your face..too big and the goggles will have gaps around your cheek bones. too small and you generally get pressure on the nose bridge. Trying them on is the only way to be sure of fit.
2) Side visibility is important, you don't want tunnel vision. Skiing in crowds (FV) you want all the awareness you can get.
3) Helmet compatability. Some goggles just don't work with the shape of some helmets - the godggle straps are held away from the face and a close and secure fit just doesn't happen. Also as mentioned you want to avoid a gap between the top of the goggles and the "inside" of the helmet. Can get bloody cold with wind whipping around there. However, a minor gap can be easily fixed with a bit a draught sealing foam available from any hardware store.
4) Lenses must be easy to exchange on the mountain or you just will not do it. The new style attachment with magnets is the way to go
5) Choice of lenses. This is a whole topic people can discuss for ages. I go with a dark polariod, wide range VLT photocromatic lens which gives me good coverage for most Aussie conditions plus a blue mirror tint with high VLT for snow/ whiteout days.

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
don't want it to go over your helmet it will ruin your steez:cool:
Oh gawd, don't get me started. Kid adopted said "steez" last year. Lining of helmet removed, black (must be black) balaclava in all weather, goggles, helmet over top. At least she isn't pulling 2 long bits of hair out to hang down the front....yet. The thing that annoys me even more than wondering if the helmet will still be as effective, is the amount of time it now takes her to get the helmet on and "just right" :mad:

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Jan 17, 2014
Coastal suburban boonies.
Go to a shop with multiple brands. Place the goggles over your eyes. Do not push the frame. The goggles that best fit your face using this technique are the goggles for you.

W0nkey D0nkey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 5, 2017
Wollongong
Oh gawd, don't get me started. Kid adopted said "steez" last year. Lining of helmet removed, black (must be black) balaclava in all weather, goggles, helmet over top. At least she isn't pulling 2 long bits of hair out to hang down the front....yet. The thing that annoys me even more than wondering if the helmet will still be as effective, is the amount of time it now takes her to get the helmet on and "just right" :mad:
Is her jacket baggy and thug?LOL

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Yeah we have had a similar experience. At least the balaclava prevents the goggles tan.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
The thing that annoys me even more than wondering if the helmet will still be as effective, is the amount of time it now takes her to get the helmet on and "just right" :mad:

Go watch some park vids where you see the helmets go tumbling. IMO the tension of the goggle strap is integral to getting the helmet to sit right, more so than the chin strap. But the chin strap is what stops the helmet from flying off in a crash.

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
Go watch some park vids where you see the helmets go tumbling. IMO the tension of the goggle strap is integral to getting the helmet to sit right, more so than the chin strap. But the chin strap is what stops the helmet from flying off in a crash.
I can imagine. But unfortunately there’s a lot of times where my opinion no longer counts.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
We are seeing the helmets coming off in moguls events as well. It seems they don't understand why they are wearing helmet. Just wondering how long before an incident that should be a concussion becomes something worse.

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
CarveGirl has had a couple of pairs of WM1s and loves them. I'm a fan of the M2. NFX2 is good too but the cylindrical motorcross look isn't for everyone.
The WM1s are certainly on my shortlist...

lenses should typically take less than a minute to change over, so you could take a spare set in your pocket (assuming you arent planning on crashin too much) and change them over as light levels vary
Thanks, Gareth - I don’t see at all well in low
light so having a spare set of lenses with me is important (and I try to avoid the crashes!)

And @WaitAwhile, @hipo, @chicski, and @Legs Akimbo - thanks, some very useful tips. Looks like I’ll have to try the darn things on in person. May just wait until I get to Vancouver although I was hoping to avoid spending part of my holiday hunting down ski equipment.

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
But looks are sooo important ;)

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
The WM1s are certainly on my shortlist...

Thanks, Gareth - I don’t see at all well in low
light so having a spare set of lenses with me is important (and I try to avoid the crashes!)

And @WaitAwhile, @hipo, @chicski, and @Legs Akimbo - thanks, some very useful tips. Looks like I’ll have to try the darn things on in person. May just wait until I get to Vancouver although I was hoping to avoid spending part of my holiday hunting down ski equipment.

Do a search in here for a thread called Advice needed - Goggles for flat light.

This was discussed in great detail

robbo mcs

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
I have oakley prizm rose, and can't rave about them enough. I used to have flat light lenses, mid light, sunny day ones, and have to swap pairs all the time. Now I just wear the prizm rose in all light conditions both in Oz and OS, and it works for me really well. I know @Normo does the same (he put me onto them :)) and pretty sure @SMSkier has them as well. I was sceptical that they would work in all light conditions until I tried them, but I am completely sold. My wife has them as well and loves them

The other thing, as many people said, for cold climate like Canada you really need zero goggle gap, so very important to match the goggles to the helmet

Just for clarification, with regards to the title of the post, I am not a woman ;)

Astro66

Still looking for a park in Thredbo
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd
For the temperatures in Central Canada in Jan. It's best Goggle and Helmet are bought together, or take you're helmet with you to get an as perfect match as possible.

Match means, where the goggles and helmet meet. The Convex of the Goggles matches the Concave of the helmet as perfectly as possible.

Good Match
images.jpg

Bad Match
images (1).jpg

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
Do a search in here for a thread called Advice needed - Goggles for flat light.

This was discussed in great detail
Yep, read that one ;)
I have oakley prizm rose, and can't rave about them enough. I used to have flat light lenses, mid light, sunny day ones, and have to swap pairs all the time. Now I just wear the prizm rose in all light conditions both in Oz and OS, and it works for me really well. I know @Normo does the same (he put me onto them :)) and pretty sure @SMSkier has them as well. I was sceptical that they would work in all light conditions until I tried them, but I am completely sold. My wife has them as well and loves them

The other thing, as many people said, for cold climate like Canada you really need zero goggle gap, so very important to match the goggles to the helmet

Just for clarification, with regards to the title of the post, I am not a woman ;)
Thanks Robbo. Great advice re the Prizms ... and can confirm via eyewitness account the accuracy of your last sentence :D

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
For the temperatures in Central Canada in Jan. It's best Goggle and Helmet are bought together, or take you're helmet with you to get an as perfect match as possible.

Match means, where the goggles and helmet meet. The Convex of the Goggles matches the Concave of the helmet as perfectly as possible.

Good Match
images.jpg

Bad Match
images (1).jpg
Bad match isn’t too bad. I’ve seen much worse.

There’s the side gap issue with some helmet/goggle combos. I want my goggles extending as far to the edge of the helmet as possible. Buying the same helmet/goggle brand eliminates that issue, but there’s maybe a handful that do both.

I love the fit of Smith helmets but hate their goggles, even though the fit is perfect - fogging is a big problem. It’s a shame. I use Dragon goggles (NFXS) with the Smith helmet. The non s goggles are too big under a Smith helmet.

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
Bad match isn’t too bad. I’ve seen much worse.

There’s the side gap issue with some helmet/goggle combos. I want my goggles extending as far to the edge of the helmet as possible. Buying the same helmet/goggle brand eliminates that issue, but there’s maybe a handful that do both.

I love the fit of Smith helmets but hate their goggles, even though the fit is perfect - fogging is a big problem. It’s a shame. I use Dragon goggles (NFXS) with the Smith helmet. The non s goggles are too big under a Smith helmet.
I've never had a problem with fogging, had smith goggles for around 15 years now. I have a giro helmet, smith ones don't fit me well.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
I should just say I’m not dissing Smith goggles. They work for hundreds of thousands if not millions of skiers just fine. They just don’t work for me - I ski hot

Reactions: Skichic2

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010
If you have an “asian” nose consider buying in Japan. My wife for years got a cold face because air would shoot into the gap in the google nose bridge. But asian fit goggles have more nose padding and no gap

Reactions: skichanger

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
If you have an “asian” nose consider buying in Japan. My wife for years got a cold face because air would shoot into the gap in the google nose bridge. But asian fit goggles have more nose padding and no gap

how can Asian fit not be deemed a racist title, yet a company would be slaughtered if they described something as negro-nose LOL

Mr. Mook

One of Us
May 21, 2001
Macquarie Fields, NSW
how can Asian fit not be deemed a racist title, yet a company would be slaughtered if they described something as negro-nose LOL
probably because negro is the Spanish/Portugese word for black and refers to skin colour whereas as Asian refers to the region that has produced a variety of physical features, not just skin colour, that differ significantly from Caucasian...

probably....

still doesn't make it right

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
probably because negro is the Spanish/Portugese word for black and refers to skin colour whereas as Asian refers to the region that has produced a variety of physical features, not just skin colour, that differ significantly from Caucasian...

probably....

still doesn't make it right
I disagree, a word is simply a word - its the intent its delivered with that makes the difference

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010
I disagree, a word is simply a word - its the intent its delivered with that makes the difference

Dunno but there is a lot of asian fit sizing in Japan,

Probably because Asian’s don’t mind being labeled such, especially when it comes to clothing.
My son has the same problem with swim goggles

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
I don't know about Asian features but my nose certainly sticks out! I'll take that into consideration. So far I'm liking the fit of the Oakley's. I tried these on at my local ski store yesterday and have tentatively ordered in a pair with the rose coloured lenses recommended by @robbo mcs. The Smith IOS were too small while the more generous Smith IO just didn't feel right.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
I don't know about Asian features but my nose certainly sticks out! I'll take that into consideration. So far I'm liking the fit of the Oakley's. I tried these on at my local ski store yesterday and have tentatively ordered in a pair with the rose coloured lenses recommended by @robbo mcs. The Smith IOS were too small while the more generous Smith IO just didn't feel right.
Asian fit are good for people with a small nose or small bridge of the nose. I have a small nose and with the regular goggles have light come through around the bridge of my nose. If you have a larger nose asian fit is unlikely to be suitable.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Asian fit are good for people with a small nose or small bridge of the nose. I have a small nose and with the regular goggles have light come through around the bridge of my nose. If you have a larger nose asian fit is unlikely to be suitable.

I have a small nose, but it's definitely not Asian.

I'm quite sure both my parents are caucasian and I wasn't adopted.

Should I be offended?

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Surely if it is factual, used descriptively and provokes no discrimination why is it an issue? The intent seems to be to communicate that these will fit people with smaller noses and faces.
I have a small nose, but it's definitely not Asian.

I'm quite sure both my parents are caucasian and I wasn't adopted.

Should I be offended?
I am the same and happily wear the asian fit goggles. I don't understand why it is an issue when the term is used to communicate a particular characteristic of the goggles. There is nothing to indicate or imply that they are not as good as other goggles. In fact if they fit properly they are better.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass