1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Work a season: Mt Hutt vs Queenstown

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Tessa2105, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Tessa2105

Tessa2105 First Runs

Heading to NZ for the season this year for Ski instructing. I have not spent a season in NZ, but have two international seasons (US and Canada). I have job offers at both locations but housing in Queenstown looks to be a nightmare. Currently I see rooms going for on average $250 a week + utilities for a single. Methven looks much more reasonable but doesn't appear to have the social atmosphere of Queenstown.

As someone who has not worked in New Zealand before, is Queenstown affordable with the NZ wage? Especially given an instructor hourly rate and quantity of work, this is a concern. I would really love a social experience but at what cost? I am still in Canada and will not be arriving until May.

Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Zimboo

Zimboo A Local

I have not worked there but I would think you would get more work on the hills of Queentown due to the numbers visiting.
    Methven is very very small in comparison and Hutt also has a reputation for closing due to winds when the storms roll in.
    Reavers Lodge in Queenstown advertises that it does long term lodging starting at $175NZ. (I imagine that's a week per person in shared room??)
    Email: info@ozsnowadventures.com.au

#2 Zimboo, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  3. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I've stayed at Reavers and they do have a fair few full season employees that stay there. Good set up with communal kitchen, lounge etc. But its a good 10-15mins from the center of town, and up a god awful steep hill

4. Zimboo

Zimboo A Local

5. oreo

oreo One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

You're probably not going to be getting a lot of paid instructor work at Hutt outside of the school holidays and weekends. This might make it hard to afford anything.*

*This is what I've been told of ski instructing at Hutt, I am not a ski instructor and have never worked at Hutt.

6. col

col One of Us

Mt Hutt is busy most days and usually packed on weekends. I reckon it would average 1 closed day every 10 days.

f.y.i they just had 50cm so nice start.....not sure if it will last.

7. pedub

pedub One of Us

Holy crap. That's more expensive than Auckland by far.
    Sorry, can't offer any advice on this.
    I live in the above-mentioned city so i'm practically a foreigner down there :p just a casual visitor...

Would have thought you could get <$200/week rental for your own room in Wanaka or Hawea though. This would be my choice of location...

8. craighelo

craighelo One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Think you are going to be lucky to get a room in either Wanaka or Queenstown at any price from the posts on Facebook, the few that come up are usually $350+ for a single if you want close to town

9. pedub

pedub One of Us

I was having a quick look on trademe.. Some 2bdrm apartments for 400/week in Wanaka over winter season. Of course, you would need to team up with another person to make it work.

10. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

Methven would certainly be different. its not completely anti social however. There is atleast a few bars and i imagine those that ski bum and those that work for the hill are in a nice tight knit community.

RE: Queenstown. Yes its expensive. Yes its very difficult to get a house. Instructor wages are huge compared to lifties and they seem to make a go of it.. End of the day if you really want to be here you will find a way as thousands of others do. My advice would be to see if NZski are going to be running staff accom this year.