1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Work in exchange for accommodation...

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Squirrel, May 27, 2010.

1. Squirrel

Squirrel First Runs

I am looking for a nice young girl or guy who can lend me a hand at Falls Creek with my kids (there are four of them!) in exchange for accommodation (very nice lodge but would be in the same room as the kids.
    Dates: July 11th (check-in) - 18th (check-out)
    All I need is someone who can help me get the kids dressed in the morning and off to ski/board school. 2 nights of babysitting - so my partner and I can go out and if you can snow board - my son (9) is learning (at a daredevil level) and wants some one on one help. He's not bad on it but still needs some extra help (complained last year that the snow board school didnt teach him tricks).
    I'm overcoming a few medical issues so I am running not quite at full speed so an extra pair of hands to help would be fab!
    We are a fun and very laid back bunch and breakfast and dinner is included in the lodge if you want it.
    If you are interested send me a message and I will send you some more info.

2. Little Tiger

Little Tiger A Local

Sorry not a snowboarder

3. eastside

eastside Hard Yards

Sick. I might know someone.

4. HappyGirl

HappyGirl One of Us

[Deleted by Admin]

5. Chester

Chester One of Us

6. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

you having a bad day night HG?

i don't think the request is sick at all. it might not be your style, but it's hardly sick.

lots of people take a relative skiing to help look after the kids. they've never been called sick. why is it sick to make this offer instead of dragging granny along to twiddle her thumbs for a week in a cold place with sfa to do for non-skiers?

there is nothing to say squirrel is male or female. for all you know, squirrel could be getting over cancer treatment but still wants the family to have a nice holiday. not that his/her reasons for making the offer are any of our business

#6 currawong, May 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
  7. Squirrel

Squirrel First Runs

Currawong is right on the money. Look I have four kids (who can occasionally drive me up a wall on a good day). I'm a single mum (with a new partner - so not looking for any "toy-boys"). I have booked two very nice rooms at a beautiful lodge as a treat for us. In the kids room there are two spare bunks.
    My new partner is a very keen skier and likes to be at the lift as it opens. I am a little slower and the kids take a bit of time to get dressed etc. So my thought is if anyone would like some free accommodation/meals in exchange for helping me in the morning get the kids off and 2 nights of making sure they dont escape the lodge (so me and my guy can go see some live music) that would be ideal.
    As I said we are very laid back - the kids are pretty funny and we just want to have a nice holiday. For someone who likes to ski/board I think its not such a bad deal.
    We have been going to Falls for many years now and I just want to make sure everyone has a nice holiday. That's it - nothing weird or "sick".

8. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

hope you have a great time at falls, squirrel. also hope you find a suitable candidate to help with the kids.

9. main street

main street Sun Peaks Resident

Squirrel's subsequent reply makes HG's post look even more ludicrous than it first was.

Hope you find someone Squirrel & that the holiday goes well !

[​IMG]

#9 main street, May 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  10. main street

Oh,.... & welcome to the forums !!

11. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

After school hols but unis are still on holiday. If you don't get any responses it may be worth contacting Melbourne and Monash Uni ski clubs.

12. HappyGirl

HappyGirl One of Us

Regarding my previous reaction to your post, that has since been deleted, is that you carelessly advertise on a public ski forum, asking for any stranger to look after your children and also that they will sleep in their bedroom in your holiday accommodation rather than going through the proper channels for hiring a qualified and vetted au pair to care for your children.

Where is your head Squirrel?

#12 HappyGirl, May 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  13. snow king

snow king First Runs

I'm sure, like many internet adverts, Squirrel will do the appropriate screening of any candidates...and besides if you don't like the people on the forum why are you a part of it?

14. HappyGirl

HappyGirl One of Us

It's not the people on the forum snow king, it's the anybody out there question that concerns me. Why the need to advertise here, rather than go through the normal and appropriate channels for child care?

#14 HappyGirl, May 29, 2010
  15. snow king

snow king First Runs

Who knows her motivations, maybe she has had positive experiences from similar situations or had been following the forums a while and thought the majority of people seemed genuine. I know people that have advertised for child carers on websites and notice boards and have had great experiences. Or perhaps it could be she thought she would have a better chance asking about a snow trip on a snow forum.

Sure there are risks but you don't just say yes to the first person that responds, kind of like when you advertise a job and start receiving resumes, you screen them.

Maybe next time put a bit of thought into what you say before you say it rather than being abusive. [​IMG]

#15 snow king, May 29, 2010
  16. HappyGirl

HappyGirl One of Us

When it comes to the welfare of children snow king, I will always advocate the most appropriate advice!

#16 HappyGirl, May 29, 2010
  17. snow king

snow king First Runs

I'm sure Squirrel, as a mother, would never put her children in harms way.

Squirrel, I hope you find a suitable person to help you out and you have a great family holiday! [​IMG]

#17 snow king, May 29, 2010
  18. HappyGirl

HappyGirl One of Us

...and you surely know Squirrel pesonally from this forum, do you?...and you surely know that Squirrel personally is a good parent from this forum...do you?

I hope that Squirrel and her children have a great family holiday too. I also hope that Squirrel will do the right thing, by finding a qualified and vetted au pair also!

#18 HappyGirl, May 30, 2010
  19. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

HG. Get back in your box. You've been on this forum for a whole 5 mins and boy, have you caused controversy in that time. Squirrel, welocme to the forums, take no notice of her - she certainly isn't happy, Miserable Girl might be a more appropriate name.

I used to do that sort of thing when I was young - I was responsible and loved kids. And poor. And a very keen skier. It worked out perfectly for everyone. However, these days, I'd be more in the hire-a-granny stakes. [​IMG]

Best of luck finding someone and have a great holiday [​IMG]

#19 teckel, May 30, 2010
  20. main street

& you somehow "know" that she isn't ?? [​IMG]

That "sword of judgement" you're madly swinging about has TWO sharp edges you know !

If I knew of someone that might fit the bill for Squirrel, I'd recommend them to her.... In doing so, I would divulge details of myself & my personal life in order to allow Squirrel to make a judgement call of her own as to whether or not to pursue it.

FFS,..... it would be NO DIFFERENT to Squirrel going through an interview process with an au pair.

#20 main street, May 30, 2010
  21. benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

if i werent blind, deaf and irresponsible I would defo put my hand up.

22. main street

No,..... Just the most expensive it seems.

#22 main street, May 30, 2010
  23. main street

Hell,..... I've got 3 older kids, that if not for school comittments, would jump at the chance..... All of them responsible young adults that are well experienced with how a large family works..... & given that they are part of a "brady bunch" themselves, they are well aware of the difficulties blended families have to go skiing.

& they know Falls Creek like the back of their hand.

They all ski though...... no knuckle draggers in our house.... [​IMG] [​IMG]

#23 main street, May 30, 2010
  24. Little Tiger

Little Tiger A Local

I'd do it but I'm not a snowboarder - neither are you are you piggy?

#24 Little Tiger, May 30, 2010
  25. snow king

snow king First Runs

[​IMG]

#25 snow king, May 30, 2010
  26. main street

Piggy is a skier.

27. main street

Yep,.... I'll second that.

[​IMG]

#27 main street, May 30, 2010
  28. Apresski

Happy Girl, I think it's fairly obvious from Squirrel's post that the payment will be in the form of a bed and food. I know of no agency who would accept those terms, hence her request on here, perfectly logical in my book.

29. Lettsy

Lettsy First Runs

You gotta wonder about some people dont you. Seriously, im no expert on being a parent seeing as im barely 18, but i know heaps of people out there, mates and such, who would be more than happy with those terms and none of them are "sick". Where else are you going to find people, especially in australia, who are willing to do this kind of thing if not on a Ski forum? Good Work "Happy Girl".

Bed and food, what more do you need apart from good snow? [​IMG]

#29 Lettsy, May 30, 2010
  30. Little Tiger

Little Tiger A Local

I know that but that does not prevent him being a snowboarder

#30 Little Tiger, May 30, 2010
  31. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

LT, perhaps you should take the job, and secretly try convince the young guy to ski instead - stop yet another snowrider falling through the cracks into the oblivion of boarding!!

32. Slushii

Slushii Mostly missing in action... Ski Pass: Gold

* Mod's Note *

Hi Everyone,

You've all made your points clearly, so there is no need to carry on with arguing about it. Move on.

Squirrel, hope you some leads out of this thread, and welcome to th Falls Creek sub-forum. Despite some "robust" discussion, I hope this doesn't put you off coming back here and posting about your experiences. Hope it all works out for you.

33. Squirrel

Squirrel First Runs

I can't believe the series of comments... I did not mean to stir that up!

And for HG's benefit, I actually used to work for an "agency" sourcing nannies/au pairs (have had three over the last 10 years).
    Have you any idea how they find these applicants? The "screening" process is very slight and we always encouraged parents not to take our word for it but to check up the references as well.

My very innocent post, really, has gotten a bit out of hand I think. I can quite easily take a friend or two along for a free holiday - but I just wanted to get away with my partner and kids and not have to "entertain" anyone else.

The amount of help I am after would be hardly worth it for an au pair to come along or be "hired".

So to put HG out of her misery I will just go it alone and send my unfortunate snowboarding son to Snowboard School. Getting 4 kids in and out of snow gear a few times a day is no small feat. They were hoping there might be another "blizzard" this year at Falls like last year so they can get a free snowmobile ride down the mountain.

So thanks anyway for some of your comments. It will be a great holiday at Falls regardless - how could it not.

PS: I think Happy Girl may want to consider a screen name change

34. Apresski

Hope you have a great trip regardless of having no help.

35. Little Tiger

Little Tiger A Local

I'm up for that! A few traverses should sort him out quick smart ... or maybe a climb to some nice turns [​IMG]

#35 Little Tiger, Jun 1, 2010
  36. Slushii

Slushii Mostly missing in action... Ski Pass: Gold

Hi Squirrel,

I wouldn't worry about "pleasing" anyone on this forum - you should do exactly what you want to do. People here are free to comment and express their opinions, but they are just that - opinions. You shouldn't feel the need to defend yourself against any of these opinions, nor explain your actions to these people who are essential strangers as far as you are concerned.

Regardless of the outcome, hope you'll have a pleasant holiday.

** Mod's note to everyone **
    Please keep posts on topic - if you wish to have a conversation unrelated to the topic of this thread, the conversation forum is the place to post, or use private messaging (PMs) Thanks. [​IMG]

#36 Slushii, Jun 1, 2010
  37. Squirrel

Squirrel First Runs

MOD: Can you please remove this thread. I have sorted my "help" out and would like to have it removed now. I don't know how to do it?

Thanks [​IMG]

#37 Squirrel, Jun 2, 2010
  38. Little Tiger

Little Tiger A Local

[​IMG]

well done

#38 Little Tiger, Jun 2, 2010