1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Working at Mt Buller

Discussion in 'Mt Buller' started by Dylzy, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Dylzy

Dylzy First Runs

Hey guys

What's the minimum age to be working at Mt Buller?
    Sorry If this has been asked a thousand times but I've searched and struggled to find an answer.

I'm 17 but I'll turn 18 at the end of July so towards the start of the season, would this be too young to work there this season?

I'm from WA so I'm at uni at the moment not High school and thinking about taking the second semester off to work and ski.

Any help and input is heaps appreciated!

Thanks guys

2. Richard

Richard Maintenance Dept Administrator

You can work in hospitality at 17 but not do bar work. Kitchens, housekeeping, waiting etc. I would look for work at the larger lodges and hotels. I don't know categorically but my guess is that BSL has a 18+ policy for mountain work such as lift attendants etc.

3. Dos

Dos One of Us

4. Dylzy

Dylzy First Runs

Thanks for replying guys, do you happen to know what the demand is like for seasonal jobs?

5. Dave Clark

Dave Clark One of Us

Hi Dylzy,

We are very much in demand for enthusiastic new team members at Buller Ski Lifts. The age policy is that you need to be 18 to work in Mountain Operations (lifts, grooming, snowmaking) but can be under 18 to work in any other department (ski school, ski patrol, guest services, retail/rental, hospitality, sales)

Your best bet is to check out the new jobs website:
    http://bullerjobs.com.au/

6. Dylzy

Dylzy First Runs

Thanks for getting back to me, I also messaged via Facebook and you replied there as well so all good, look forward to hearing about my application.

Thanks again
    Dylzy

7. ADEL_GUY

ADEL_GUY Hard Yards

So I have applied for a few jobs at Mt Buller but just wondering what people think is a better job to do. Like Lifty vs Rental and etc. Either way i'm sure if I get a job I will hopefully have a awesome time and meet and make new friends

8. DbSki

DbSki Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Lift ops work outside in all weather, that doesn't suit everyone.

9. ADEL_GUY

ADEL_GUY Hard Yards

Yeah thats what im thinking Dbski. Might go for rental.

10. DbSki

DbSki Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

That and lift ops work all day not ski, only ski on days off.
    A season as a lift op doesnt get a lot of skiing in other than skiing home and back each day to the lift and lunch.

Rentals OTH you might get more chance to get on the snow during the day, depends on the place, they may want you for busy periods only but then you earn less.

Bar staff and dish pigs can ski during the day but not much time for night life, which at the prices they charge could save a lot.
    Every job has the good and bad you just need to decide which suits you for a season.

If you are the home body type you may end up saving a few dollars, if you like to party you'll finish the season with less than you started with. Always remember its a tourist resort and prices to go.

Not worked there since 81 as a lift op, many things have changed but some things are the same and for lifties it is being outdoors in all weather and using a shovel a lot and only skiing on days off.

11. ADEL_GUY

ADEL_GUY Hard Yards

Thanks for the info DbSki.

12. Rowdy

Rowdy Hard Yards

Curious question, does anyone know if it's possible to get a seasonnaires discount on the full Buller gym membership?