Question Working at perisher

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by Bob Brown, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Bob Brown

Bob Brown Just Registered

Hello,

I have just applied to work at perisher as an certified ski instructor part season (during NSW school holidays). Just a few questions, what sort of stages do i need to progrss through in this application?

Would I need to do an interview in perisher? Also if I get the job what sort of accommodation do you suggest, I cant use the staff accommodation as its only available for staff who are working the full season.

If I stay in Jindabyne how easy is it to get to the ski tube without a car?

Also what sort of pay would I be expecting and ~how many hours a week would I except to receive, noting this is the peak season that I would be working in.

Thanks if you answer any of these questions!

2. dawooduck

dawooduck Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Whatever they request
    Maybe
    Whatever you can find
    Not easy unless you have friends but not hard if you get up early
    whatever is left over after the full timers are assigned

Pray for snow and enjoy your season.

DidSurfNowSki and Ted Harper like this.
  3. Neason

Neason Active Member

Heyo, I'm doing my first season as an instructor this year so I haven't actually worked a season yet but I've done a heap of research so :
    After the initial application if they like your resume they will request additional information (can't remember exactly what), assuming that goes well they will request an online interview so no on-snow interview is required which I believe is different to previous years. If you are successful with the interview you're then required to do a reference check and then you will find out if you have the job.
    Not too sure about how you would go about finding accomodation. Same for lifts but my brother is taking his car for the season so if you can't find anyone you could just pm me.
    I'm currently on around $21 an hour and from what I've gathered hours can vary quite a lot but if you've got some experience and are arriving peak season you'd probably be fine.

Good luck :)

IAB likes this.
  4. the133448

the133448 Active Member

Ive applied for a ski Instructor job earlier this year
    So after my reference check I was told I received an email saying they wanted to hire me but they had no vacancies, and I was put on the waitlist.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of outcome and if you would be likely to get a later offer on the wait list?

5. ichigo

ichigo Just Registered

I'm just about to turn down my (ski instructor) job offer from Perisher in favour of a job offer from another resort, so hopefully this means you'll get the spot! :)

6. Neason

Neason Active Member

I've read on some other threads that this can happen with lifty positions too; just contact them every now and then and let them know you're still available for the position. On top of that there are still plenty of restaurants and such that you can apply at so not all hope is lost :) . Good luck

the133448 likes this.
  7. the133448

the133448 Active Member

Ahhh wish me luck! But I'd guess Id be in a different pool because I am only going for peak times so July-August.

8. ichigo

ichigo Just Registered

Good luck :):) ... and even though this may not mean much, my experience with other ski schools has shown that they almost always need extra hands on deck during the peak weeks at least!! Am sure you'll hear something good! Did you apply for Thredbo/other resorts too?

9. the133448

the133448 Active Member

I wasnt able to, as Perisher was the only resort to have a job posistion for unqualified peak time only instructor. At Thredbo you need to be qualified to do peak seaon and unquailfied to do the whole season.

10. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

When you say "unqualified" do you mean you have no instructor training? From my experience, Perisher do a hiring clinic at the beginning of the season and put all their selected unqualified instructors through APSI level 1. You obviously must pass to be considered for employment. Peak season, again from experience, means the 2 weeks of the July school holidays. Unless things have changed, if you don't get a call for the hiring clinic, you won't get a call. You need to be level 1 at least to teach in Australia.

11. the133448

the133448 Active Member

Perisher is like the only resort to do training end of june for just peak season instructors which is around 4 weeks, according to research/talks to HR.