1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Working at Thredbo

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by michelleeers, Feb 26, 2015.

1. michelleeers

michelleeers First Runs

I got accepted for a job at a restaurant on Thredbo mountain, but it does not include accommodation and I have to buy a discounted $750 season pass for the mountain on top of it. I was wondering if it may be better to work for the resort itself as it says that they provide accommodation and a free season pass.

Any thoughts for those of you who have worked the winter season before? Thanks.

2. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

Nothing is "free". Just choose what best suits your season plan.

3. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

A restaurant is likely to be offering evening shifts, meaning mornings (at least) available for sliding. Many resort jobs require work during sliding times. Depends on the restaurant, of course.

4. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

What sort of position is it,and how much experience do you have doing the particular job,kinda determines how fussy you can be .

5. thebutterman

thebutterman Hard Yards

If it's a job at one of the restaurants on the hill i.e. Eagles Nest, Black Sallies etc. then I would say getting a job with the resort would be better just because you will always have work. Weather can shut down the restaurants on the hill and not getting shifts can make life hard, especially if you are in private accommodation.

Staff accom isn't always great but you meet some awesome people and it is very convenient as set amount of rent is automatically deducted from your pay each week.

6. spaz

spaz Hard Yards

Eagles Nest/ Black Sallees provide accom for their staff.

Working for Thredbo does not ensure shifts or a full season of work because all returning and permanent staff get the best shifts. Only expect work from July to the first week of September.

On mountain accom is reserved for essential staff who work odd, long shifts.
    The resort accom is in Jindy, cost more, you share a room (usually a bunk bed, 2 bunks per room) and you don't choose who you live with. You have to find your own way 40km to work (and 40km home).
    There is plenty of people who rent rooms in Jindy.

7. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

I thought most, if not all, on mountain restaurants weren't owned by Kosciusko Thredbo hence the need for a season pass and lack of accommodation.

8. HappyGirl

HappyGirl One of Us

I heard that this year the company don't help out whatsoever anymore regarding accommodation. You are all on your own to find it.

9. gettingtooold

gettingtooold One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

If that's the case, it tells you something about the company's respect and consideration for potential employees. Forget it.

10. benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Isn't everyone going to perivail anyhow?

11. Normo

Normo Mostly Harmless Ski Pass: Gold

Summer: Berowra Waters. Winter: Jindabyne
    :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:
    That should go straight to the "new words" thread :D

Ozgirl likes this.
  12. thebutterman

thebutterman Hard Yards

There is definitely staff accom this year.

13. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

spaz likes this.
  14. HappyGirl

HappyGirl One of Us

"Jindabyne has a number of real estate agencies that are very familiar with renting properties to winter seasonal staff. We recommend you contact them to secure your accommodation if you wish to live with friends.

Alternatively for staff employed for the full season, our company can source housing in Jindabyne
    ."

spaz likes this.
  15. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

I suspect the original poster isn't being employed by KT. AFAIK none of the on mountain restaurants (Merrits, Black Sallees, Frost Bite, etc.) are KT businesses but just lease from KT and thus conditions of employment (accom, season pass) will be different.

16. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

In previous years both Perisher and Thredbo would take on a number of 14 week winter leases on properties in Jindabyne through various real estate agents for their winter staff.
    Looking at it from the other side of the fence, where groups of young kids want to rent their own place with friends, they need to come up with a fair amount of money plus referees, on a 16 week winter lease they are looking at 4 weeks bond plus 4 weeks rent in advance. A 3 bedroom apartment will cost them about $900 P/W and power is on top of that.

#16 WaitAwhile, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    spaz likes this.
  17. tbnext

tbnext One of Us

To late for your post but I suggest keep looking, drag out the acceptance to the last day. You will have no issue sharing accom but you will need a car or share car to work on the mountain if you live in Jindy. It's fun but, mad fun.

18. spaz

spaz Hard Yards

It's illegal to ask more than 2 weeks rent in advance; so a Jindy real estate told me last friday.