Advice needed Working Holiday Banff 2021/22

rorygeo

Hard Yards
Jun 14, 2017
Hi all,
I think this is the right page of the forum to post this in but if not, let me know. I am currently 17 turning 18 in September and finishing the HSC in October. I am looking at doing a gap year at one of the resorts around Banff, hopefully teaching skiing/SB (and/or working in a bar) and would thoroughly appreciate some advice (assuming I receive the COVID vaccine prior to leaving Australia). I have looked through similar threads on this page but can't find any that really answer my questions. Any tips or info would be much appreciated.
1. Are ski or snowboard instructors more in demand? I am a high intermediate in both disciplines, but would you recommend one or the other or should I do both?
2. How much would ($) I be looking at for dorm style staff accomodation in Banff and/or on mountain?
3. How long does the IEC working holiday visa take to process, and how many spots are on offer for Australians each year?
4. When should I book my flights for? I read that (I think) Sunshine and Lake Louise opened on the 29th of October this season but it was the 'earliest ever'. What dates does the season usually kick off?
5. How much is the cheapest anyone on here has paid for a one way flight to Calgary, I am planning on working the summer in Ireland, so will only be going there and not back to Australia straight away. Westjet is offering $687AUD fares to Vancouver and Calgary, (from what I've looked at) codesharing with Qantas to LAX, does a one way flight to Canada get any cheaper than that?
Also, if anyone has done something similar, please let me know what your experience was, what you did for work etc., though any help is very much appreciated.
Rory

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Hats off to you for your ambitious plan!

I was about the same age when I started planning my gap year.

You will likely need to find another job before instructing - im not sure how the canadian process works. However do the discipline you are most competent in first. Dual cert (so both ski and board) is highly desirable.

I also dont know how much you will love it for a gap year - if you are only going to do it once. First year instructors get the great work and you will be likely picking up 3yo all day every day on the bunny hill.

This is where I lived when I first moved to Banff.
https://www.hihostels.com/hostels/hi-banff-alpine-centre

However if you get a job offer with one of the resort, they must offer you staff accom.

Gumbie

Hard Yards
Jun 18, 2019
Illawarra
Skiing Lake Louise last week I was talking to an Aussie liftie. He was able to leave Australia and they had quarantine all set up for many Aussies coming over, all support available, and then into normal staff accommodation.
I can imagine you'll still need to quarantine next season.
Enjoy your studies.

Reactions: Ozgirl

AWJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 1999
Canberra
Hi all,
I think this is the right page of the forum to post this in but if not, let me know. I am currently 17 turning 18 in September and finishing the HSC in October. I am looking at doing a gap year at one of the resorts around Banff, hopefully teaching skiing/SB (and/or working in a bar) and would thoroughly appreciate some advice (assuming I receive the COVID vaccine prior to leaving Australia). I have looked through similar threads on this page but can't find any that really answer my questions. Any tips or info would be much appreciated.
1. Are ski or snowboard instructors more in demand? I am a high intermediate in both disciplines, but would you recommend one or the other or should I do both?
2. How much would ($) I be looking at for dorm style staff accomodation in Banff and/or on mountain?
3. How long does the IEC working holiday visa take to process, and how many spots are on offer for Australians each year?
4. When should I book my flights for? I read that (I think) Sunshine and Lake Louise opened on the 29th of October this season but it was the 'earliest ever'. What dates does the season usually kick off?
5. How much is the cheapest anyone on here has paid for a one way flight to Calgary, I am planning on working the summer in Ireland, so will only be going there and not back to Australia straight away. Westjet is offering $687AUD fares to Vancouver and Calgary, (from what I've looked at) codesharing with Qantas to LAX, does a one way flight to Canada get any cheaper than that?
Also, if anyone has done something similar, please let me know what your experience was, what you did for work etc., though any help is very much appreciated.
Rory
1 - I would have thought ski instructors were more in demand - didn't see many snowboard instructors when i was there last February
2 - not sure - There's no accom on mountain for Norquay or Lake Louise. Sunshine has a bit of accommodation, but stacks still live in Banff. Lake Louise village is the other side of the highway from the ski resort, from a friend who lived there, its pretty quiet. IMHO - stay in banff, shitloads more to do, way more jobs, and you don't have to worry about transport to do anything.
3 - Not sure if Canada is even processing them atm given the pandemic? When i did it in 2012, getting the work visa took no time at all. The police check required for the visa on the other hand took a few months, even though i have a clean record
4 - This season was an early start for sure, but it's usually going by Mid to late November anyway. When ever you find flights in your price range, get'em
5 - Not normally much change for one way flights compared to return trips. Consider getting either a round the world fare, or get return Oz to Canada, then book separate fare Canada to Ireland return

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Good point about a round the world fare.

Student flights usually have good RTW fares that typically have a longer use by date than regular fares. (Ie typically you have to have used all segments of a RTW fare by 12mths of first departure date, student fares are sometimes 18mths or longer)

Worth looking at.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass