1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Working in Canada as 30+

Discussion in 'Canada' started by scottik187, Jul 7, 2014.

1. scottik187

scottik187 Hard Yards

Hi all,

My Canadian gf is heading home in a couple of months, I'm looking at heading over for the winter, working and snowboarding and all of that.

Now, as I'm 31 (old, right), what are my options? We won't qualify for de-facto (or equiv).

I have a degree and 10 years professional experience in my field. Do I need to get sponsored to work there?

Any help would be appreciated.

I also hold an Estonian passport, and they can do the working Visa until you're 35yrs old, perhaps I should look into that as well.

2. subikanga

subikanga Hard Yards

I'm also interested in +30 yo visa for Canada or USA for ski fields. How hard is it to get sponsored in coming seasons?

3. main street

main street Doing what I want. Ski Pass: Gold

Virtually impossible.

4. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Used to be that returning staff who had started out with a resort on working holiday visa could get entry under the temporary foreign worker program. The resort had to do some paperwork and show that they could not find suitably qualified and/or experienced staff in the Canadian labour pool at the wage they were offering. The visa was for specific employer and had specific dates. Worked well for instructors and patrollers and wasn't too onerous on employer. In the last year there has been a big blowup in the TFWP with media turning up numerous examples of abuse of the system, McDonalds and other fast food restos staffed entirely with Filipinos after laying off locals to save money, that sort of thing. The fed govt had to tighten up and did so with a fairly heavy hand. Paperwork and fees have now made it very tough for resorts to bring back favoured employees, will make it all but impossible for people unknown to them. Likely it will ease up in time but that's of little use to you right now.

JoeKing likes this.
  5. Alex.C

Alex.C One of Us

6. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Minimum wage in BC is $10.25/hr. Entry level jobs in resorts are usually a buck or two above that. There's no industry award system like in Australia. Less than half of the workforce is unionised in BC; snow industry is union-less.

7. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Why not eligible for defacto?
    Just have to prove the relationship.
    Look into the Estonian thing for sure