1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Working in Perisher 2016: pay, hours & living

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by fimp, Feb 13, 2016.

1. fimp

fimp First Runs

I know there's a few threads with this title already but even older threads from previous seasons haven't really addressed the questions I've got.

So I just did my online interview for a non-certified ski instructor position, in which it looks like you get APSI accredited before starting the role. I've also got one of the April interviews for a lifty role. First I'm wondering which is likely to pay more p/h (I thought beginner instructor would likely be less due to lack of experience, otherwise why would they offer the role) and which has more hours? I'm more after a good all-round season experience rather than simply making a buck so not really fussed which one does get paid more, but still good to know for everyone else that's interested. all I need to do is pay for rent, food and maybe some new planks.

I'm asking about hours because I've read that some liftys work 6 long days a week, 2 days off rostered. whereas others work 4 days a week and its a lot more flexible. Maybe there's new policy after the Vail buyout? again I don't have a preference either way. lots of work is good but skiing is good too. Being a lifty sounds like a fun/rewarding enough job as it is.

My last question is about accomodation. After what I've researched and learned from mates and people, sounds like living in jindy is gonna be a bit more fun. How do you guys usually live out your seasons? share houses? share rooms? what is the rent like compared to chippendale? and how easy is it to car pool, or is it better to bring a car?

Hoping this thread will cover questions for more people than just me haha

cheers

2. crackson

crackson A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Dunno. I'm a ski bum. #winning

telecrag likes this.
  3. Bato

Bato One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

As a first year instructor at perisher you wont get much work outside of busy periods and you are expected to turn up 6 days a week and wait around whether you have work or not.
    As a lifty, once it snows you will have work, but if its a bad start to the season you could be waiting around, once the season is up and running the shifts used to be 6 days on 2 off, and 3 days off when your 6 days doesnt roll through 2 pay weeks.
    Both jobs are a pretty good way to meet people but lifty sucks if you want to ride, and being and instructor sucks if you want to eat.
    Living in Jindy is fun but driving up and catching the depression express each morning can get a little old. As a lifty you will leave your house at around 6.45am each morning and get home around 6 in the evening, and get paid for 7.5h work :p

4. Seth

Seth Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Both have pros and cons as already mentioned.

If you want to ski a lot don't go for the lifts job.

5. Leichhardt

Leichhardt Hard Yards

I don't work at Perisher (I'm a Tbo gal) but I can answer a couple of questions.
    The way the instructor pay works goes by your qualification, and occasionally your experience. The higher your level, the more you get paid. Also the higher your level and the longer you've been there, the higher priority it is for you to get work. Eg, I may as well be part of the furniture at Thredbo, so get offered bulk work.

With regards to pay p/hr, instructors get more, with more ride time. But lifty work is more stable.

Living in Jindy is the way to go. If you're hired you'll be given the option of staff share housing (from memory last season it was around $200 a week, but I can check with my Peri mates). Alternatively you can do shared private accommodation. It works out cheaper, usually. I've done private accommodation the past 5 years, but cannot be bothered finding a place with people I like this year.

It's not hard to find a lift up or back in the morning. People usually have spaces in their cars, and if not head out to the hitching point just after SMGS and stick your thumb out. If you want to bring a car though, people are always willing to give you fuel money :)

6. crackson

crackson A Local Ski Pass: Gold

But can you ski?

7. blutek

blutek One of Us

100 days in Perisher (well I guess Normo doing that).

8. Donza

Donza Pool Room

I always wonder why people that want to do ski seasons are poor?

9. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons Que Sera, Sera Ski Pass: Gold

Every skiier in the world is poor at the end of hemi seasons.