1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Working part time in NZ resorts

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by melin, May 8, 2017.

1. melin

melin First Runs

Hello!

I'm considering going to NZ (South Island) in August for about five or six weeks, and was wondering if it's possible to pick up part time work instructing? It would need to be in the Cardrona/Coronet Peak/Treble Cone area. I looked at the resort websites and NZ Ski but from what I can see the resorts hire their staff in February and are staffed up for the season. I couldn't find anything about part time work during busy periods or school holidays. Just thought I'd try here in case someone knew, before I email each of them.

Also, where is the best place to start looking for accommodation? Sorry, I'm from Europe and completely lost at sea here!

Thanks!

2. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

For 6 weeks they probably wont look at you unless they have lots of people breaking themselves.
    August is mid school term and as such not as many people around. best chance for part time work is in july during school holidays. If you are after accomodation in queenstown or wanaka the best option is to look when you get here. competition is fierce and no one is going to hold a room for you.

3. melin

melin First Runs

Thanks Draizuh! Can look at July too, could possibly go at the start of the month and stay eight weeks. I'd have a lot more flexibility in July too

Will start looking at Queenstown & Wanaka

4. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

My advice would be try and sort work first, dont get your heart set on a town or a resort and just let whatever happens happen!