1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Worst Meals

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Doogie, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Doogie

Doogie First Runs

Having just returned from a couple of days at Falls (mid week) I get the feeling that all the eateries have got together and decided that the best way to make up for the last couple of seasons is to rip everyone off. Cheap eats are gone and they seem to all be charging high twenties plus which is fine but the shite joints are charging it too.

Had a great meal at Mo's one night (great Mexican night on Wed) then the following night had the worst meal ever for $32 (on special, normally $38) at JB's at the Karelia Lodge. Do not eat there under any circumstances. The salad bar had about twenty people from the bar standing around it drinking and leaning on it so the hygeine would be a real concern and you wouldn't have paid ten bucks for the meal in the dingiest Public Bar in the country.

I don't mind paying extra at the snow but it still needs to be a good meal. Throw in the fact that, when paying for parking, two days plus two nights equals three days I feel like I have been well and truely reamed.

These places are short sighted and do themselves a diservice if they think they are making up for bad seasons. We are now more inclined to do a big trip to Japan or Canada every two years (went to Japan this year and it was great) rather than ski in Aus which saddens me. We went up four times last year specifically to support the local industry and we got stitched up then as well.

Local resorts will only get our custom now for day trips in exceptional seasons. Sorry.

2. NeoSamurai

NeoSamurai One of Us Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

If I retrace my steps I can probably find it.
    I'm with you Doogie.

One evening last year we bought some takeaway noodles for our 3yr old child at 'Rim Rock' asian restaurant. They charged ~$20 for a tiny little box (for a 3yr old) and she wouldn't touch them - we then sampled them and they were "EEEwwwww!" SO salty and disgusting we just had to throw them out. I must add that we/our kids are NOT at all fussy eaters, hate to throw food out, but these noodles were just foul!

3. NeoSamurai

NeoSamurai One of Us Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

If I retrace my steps I can probably find it.
    Also Pizzas (x6) delivered from the Frying Pan Inn were way overpriced (for what arrived!) small, tasteless, completely dried out and delivered stone cold. Less than 20% of the 6 pizzas were eaten (unpalitable) the rest chucked out. I hate throwing food out but it was inedible!

Pizzas from the 'The Man' however are quite nice and reasonably good value for what they are and where you are (ie. Ski resort$)

4. main street

main street Sun Peaks Resident

We ate there (JB's) last year..... Last time that mistake will ever be made.

#4 main street, Jul 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

Pay top $ and eat at Windows to the Alps - survive on cheap byo munchies during the day & have a great dinner. Meal prices are on par with decent restaurants in Syd/Melb. I amy not eat cheap but I eat well (ie not food for food's sake).

6. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Food at Falls Creek this year was overpriced and in a couple of cases absolutely appalling. $40 for a steak at the Cock and Bull, while on the surface in line with city prices,I would expect something far more "cuisined". Made the mistake of taking the kids to the Frying Pan, inedible pizzas and a very small deep fried schnitzel. Didn't get to Winterhaven which always used to be pretty good.

7. spargo

spargo First Runs

so where's the supermarket at Falls? we're staying at SnowSki Apartments in the bowl and the plan is to cook 3/4 nights out of 6 - we'll take most of it up with us, but we'll no doubt need to buy some stuff on mountain during the week?

is there just one shop/supermarket, and if not, which one's the best??

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

There used to be 2 - one is near Snowski (The Hub)- ski down the home trail then get the gully chair back to snowski. The other is in Snowlands (near the Halleys Comet/Bullet??). I am not sure which one has closed but which ever it is it will be inconvenient for half of the mountain.

Both sell all of your essentials (at mountain prices of course). Getting bread/milk/eggs/frozen stuff isn't a problem. More so a lack of fresh fruit/vege.

9. Ian D

Ian D Pool Room Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Just down the road, a few minutes walk. Corner of Falls Creek Road (the one you are on) and Slalom st. There is another down the bottom under Halley's chair - quite a hike from where you are.

10. spargo

spargo First Runs

Cheers guys (great name Scott!)..

I will post a "who's skiing Falls Ck the week of 12-18 August" soon, and see if I can't catch up with a few of you locals who have helped us out with tips over the last few weeks.

11. Doogie

Doogie First Runs

Thanks everyone. Thought I was just being fussy. Like I said, I don't mind paying a bit more but I don't expect to eat the scrappings off the kitchen floor.

Spargo, we used to be able to order our meat from the butcher at Mt Beauty and he would deliver (order the day before). The roasts were pretty good and saves having to lug too much food up the mountain. There is a delivery fee though.

PS. Never had a bad meal at Summit Ridge. Need to book early as it's popular. If you are going to pay top price for a meal it may as well be a top meal.

#11 Doogie, Jul 30, 2007
  12. doppelganger

doppelganger First Runs

Karelia is widely acclaimed for it's appalling food. Nearby restaurants do a roaring trade feeding people who have already paid for dinner as part of their accommodation there.

13. loc

loc Hard Yards

ok so we know whats bad - now any suggestions for a good feed?

14. Andrew N

Andrew N First Runs

The Vodka Bar - haven't been there for 3 years but was outstanding last time (not cheap, but you get what you pay for).

15. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I mainly do day trips to Falls so I don't eat out much there, but places with good reputations for dinner include:
    Feathertop (Mo's)
    Summit Ridge
    Astra
    Nelse
    Attunga
    Winterhaven

Milch and Huski can be good but I've heard mixed experiences.

For a cheapy, The Man is good pizza or other simple fare.
    The Cock & Bull is also popular, but can't really be considered a cheapy.

16. Doogie

Doogie First Runs

- Summit Ridge
    - Mo's have a Mexican night on Wednesdays now that was very good last week
    - Haven't done Milsch for dinner but is fantastic for lunch. We always go there for lunch.
    - The Mann is cheap and chearfull so long as you don't mind sticking to the carpet.
    - Ate somewhere last year that was awesome. I think it may have been Attunga.

#16 Doogie, Jul 31, 2007
  17. main street

main street Sun Peaks Resident

Summit Ridge & Attunga are both great places to eat.

Pizza from the Mann was reasonable too.

18. spargo

spargo First Runs

thanks Doogie - out of our group of 6, 3 are driving from Brisbane, and 3 (including us) are flying and coming from Melbourne on Pyles.. so the driving group are stopping off and picking up the fresh food in Albury/Mt Beauty on the way through - the rest we'll buy in Brisbane and they'll bring it with them. Nice chaps they are!

the 'good food' tips sound good. we're not planning on cooking every night so i'll jot them down..

I thought I heard elsewhere on here that Monday was the night to have pizza at the Man?

#18 spargo, Jul 31, 2007
  19. foxhound

foxhound First Runs

Falls Creek Food Survival Guide

Never eat Oversnow food.

Self-cater. Depending on your accommodation, either go back for lunch or self-cater on the mountain. Take a backpack and organise a 'snow-picnic' (very popular with children). Food also stays fresh and your drinks stay cold when concealed in the snow. Use a thermos if you want warm coffee or soup. If you need to get off the snow, don’t forget the Lorna Dunkley Hut and you can also use the Cloud 9 facilities.

Complain. Most of us are too polite and reticent to create a scene while trying to enjoy a night out and in any case the staff serving you probably have little control over the price and quality. If you are served garbage, complain to the ‘food’ provider, if necessary in writing and send a copy to the Falls Creek Resort Management. A follow-up e-mail (or even better a hardcopy letter) of complaint is your own dish best served cold (and I know people who have been refunded in full).

Warn others. If you are served over-priced garbage being marketed as 'food,' please warn others.

#19 foxhound, Jul 31, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
  20. Fangin'Wolvy

Fangin'Wolvy First Runs

Milch and Cedarwood, if still available, were the two places I ate at. Both nice, priced well but you ate well, service great and genuinely happy atmosphere.

I like places that make me feel like I'm at home.

21. emkae

emkae One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

we always stop at treats in mt beauty and load up with their prepared meals - soups, lasagne, stews whatever

they will also ship food up and have the oversnow deliver it to your door - they don't charge much - compared to buying an overpriced crap meal

22. Ian D

Ian D Pool Room Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Gateway cafe is also good - and does do dinner and takeaways as well.
    FC Hotel does a nice BBQ lunch
    Another BIG thumbs up for the Man pizza but then I love pizza [​IMG]

A range of other options were given here as well.

There is good food out there (and bad).

#22 Ian D, Jul 31, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  23. Apresski

The Gateway Cafe is good and quite reasonably priced for luch. On sunny days they often do a barbcue. Snowski sell basics including milk from their office. The Hub supermarket, although owned by the same man as Snowland has a better range, but dreadfully expensive. In fact the managers of Snowski charge less! We come from Melbourne by car and bring our food frozen in an Esky and it remains frozen. If you speak to Amy at Snowski she may be able to organise a delivery from the supermarket and butcher in Mt Beauty if necessary.

24. san pedro

san pedro Hard Yards

I don't eat out much at Falls, but have been to a few places:
    Gateway Cafe - good for lunch.
    The Man - good for Pizza and pub type fare.
    Cock n Bull - went there last week and we thought the standard had slipped a bit fromm previous years, but the happy hours is good with $5 pints of Guiness.
    Falls Creek Country Club - paid $20 a head for a Falls Creek Primary School function there, and got tastless spag bol and dried out pizza. Didn't expect much for $20 on mountain, but this was not good, we had to go back to the apartment and cook dinner after this.
    Julians Lodge - meals are under $20 and good value, stuff like fish and chips, spag bol and beef curry. I have heard the all you can eat breakfast are good here, but have yet to try them out.

25. ausi ski bum

ausi ski bum A Local

If your in an apartment you can order your food n advance from the IGA in Mt Beauty and they will deliver it to your room, you can top up through the week this way as well saving a fortune on the local shops.

I like the Cock and Bull but yes it is getting up there in price now, you do however always get a great feed

26. willscarlet

willscarlet First Runs

Random thoughts on food at FC:

Supermarkets: The Hub supermarket is bigger, cleaner and just all-round better than the one under Falls Express (formerly Bilia Bullet, formerly Halley's Comet) chairlift. This is important if you want to buy fresh fruit and vegetables. I certainly want the freshest meat I can get for a barbeque.

Cafes: Cafe Max is good for steak and chips and the like. Milch is very good for an evening meal, although they flirt with nouvelle-cuisine-size small servings. They do good breakfasts though. Rim Rock is just weird, I had chocolate drizzled over my main course once (chicken). The pizzas at the Man are nothing to write home about.

Restaurants: Julians is an excellent value-for-money restaurant with plenty of variety on the menu. Summit Ridge is superb, but very haute-cuisine (truffles, shiitake mushrooms and quail etc.). I think Mo's at Feathertop is supposed to be the best for a special dinner, but have never been.

27. K@os

K@os A Local

I have always self-catered and generally only go out for 1 or two meals only. When I do go out I expect to pay thorugh the nose for anything half decent.
    I do all my shopping in Bright before the drive up, the only problem being the Oversnow and having to pay extra for you're food (not a prob this year as I wont be using the stupid thing thank god)
    I agree with Milch and Cafe Max for being good lunch and brekky spots.
    I had a really good meal at Rim Rock last year - chocolate covered spring rolls were interesting. The service was good too and they put up with my mob of loud, unruly mates.
    The Man does do an ok pizza but they dont come close to The General at Hotham.

28. Andrew N

Andrew N First Runs

can someone do a village map jpg/pdf and highlight the good places to eat for various meals, for me to print off and take with me? [​IMG]

#28 Andrew N, Aug 2, 2007
  29. spargo

spargo First Runs

could you do it yourself?

30. louby_lou

louby_lou First Runs

Coming down for week 11/08 to 18/08 and staying at Ropers Apartments (15 of us, meals included in package at Happy Valley ???) anyone know if they serve good food ?? We usually self cater at private chalet but decided to ski like mad and not worry about catering.
    Have stayed at Julians - Food was fantasic. Great friendly service also.

31. Apresski

IO think you must mean Pretty Valley, I think the food is okay.
    The Cock and Bull is part of the same building.

32. fx 140 ski freek

fx 140 ski freek Hard Yards

lucky you lou
    no oversnow required for you!!
    from memory i think there is a connection with the 2 entities,
    didnt the pretty valley people develop the ropers appartments?
    this might be the reason for the meals provided at pretty valley, the managers are nice people

33. Apresski

That' correct. Good spot. No Oversnow, right near the Falls Creek express, Falls Creek Snowsports (if you need ski rental), the Supermarket and a short stagger home from The Man.

34. SNOW-STUFF

SNOW-STUFF Hard Yards

Rim Rock is no longer, it's staff accomodation now...

Cedarwood is also gone in relation to food and drink, all apartments now...

35. anniebans2

anniebans2 First Runs

Does anyone have any reports on meals at FC Hotel?

36. SNOW-STUFF

SNOW-STUFF Hard Yards

Food is good at the Hotel... They have a hell of as lot of repeat business and look after their customers well. Value is not bad either.

37. spargo

spargo First Runs

I stayed at the FC Hotel about 4 years ago, as part of an all-inclusive package. The food was definitely above average, and their wine list is damn good too. Of course food quality is dependent on the Chef and staff each season, but I'd say they have a reputation to uphold. The only downside we found is that we didn't really venture out elsewhere, because we'd eat and drink in there. This time we're self-catering, so we'll be taking this list and touring the village on a few nights.

The owners are nice people too (they're Spargo's!). I'll drop in and see them when we're back there this weekend..

38. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Gateway Cafe haven't been doing dinners this year, but will now be doing an asian steamboat buffet on Tue & Wed nights. I think it's $20 for all you can eat. At lunch time these guys usually do respectable but not fancy tucker at a reasonable price. So I'd expect the same for the dinners. I think it's just 6pm to 8pm so you can use the gully chair for transport.

39. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Had some really good lunches at Gateway last week.

40. Snowgun1

Snowgun1 First Runs

I am a Falls Creek skier for the past 15 years. This year I have been to Falls twice so far. Each time I stayed 4 nights. The last visit was two weeks ago. Unlike Doogie I don’t stay or eat cheap. Remember the old saying - pay peanuts get monkeys.
    From what I read, Doogie stayed most likely in a budget accommodation like Viking or Alfa and ate on cheap, because Mexican meals – mince and taco shell doesn’t turn anybody on when on holidays and especially when in the snow (except elcheapo’s)
    I have stayed in Karelia Alpine Lodge this year and the meals were absolutely fantastic. Their chef (Visachi apprentice) turned on something special to remember .
    J.B.’s Restaurant is a part of Karelia and the meals are also very good and damn good value as the price includes all side serve.
    Most of the restaurants in Falls Creek charge extra for side serves of salads, gravy etc.
    I don’t think that one would have to be concerned with the J.B.'s salad bar hygiene as it is all enclosed and protected by glass panels.
    I recommend J.B.’s Restaurant and especially the Czech style sirloin roast, Bohemian goulash or the Swiss fondues.
    I don’t find Falls Creek restaurant excessively expensive .
    Just remember the recent food increases in our supermarkets and then the transport cost to Fall Creek.
    I like to suggest that we all support our Local resorts and thus asure their survival in the future – we like to ski at home and not overseas !!!!
    A NOTE for the elcheaopo’s - if you can’t afford it stay at home and stop bitching.

41. Doonks

Doonks Let's cook! Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I presume that everyone in this thread who had bad experiences with food/quality and/or price approached management and politely but firmly expressed their dissatisfaction, and where appropriate, asked for the food to be replaced (the pizzas)???

If not, then expressing your dissatisfaction here will change nothing. It's good that you share with the skiing public of Australia, but in order to get things improved, you should be taking it up with the business owners.

42. Doonks

Doonks Let's cook! Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Have never had a bad meal at the FCH. Their lunches are particularly good and well priced.

#42 Doonks, Aug 16, 2007
  43. Doogie

Doogie First Runs

Snowgun1 certainly sounds like either Karelia staff or close friend there-of. A common topic through this thread is how bad the meals at JB's are.

No, we do not do things on the cheap like you suggest and we like to check out different restaraunts all the time. If you consider JB's to be fine dining then I would suggest that it is you that does things 'on the cheap'.

#43 Doogie, Aug 16, 2007
  44. Doogie

Doogie First Runs

Yes we did mention that we thought the meal was sub-standard and all they did was jump down our throats - hence this thread.

#44 Doogie, Aug 16, 2007
  45. Big Al

Big Al First Runs

Maybe we should call Snowgun1 - Jezza or Jezza's friend and a newbie, how strange?

I am sorry but $38 for a Chicken Parma is absolutely crazy in anyones book. Even up at the frikken snow!

I have eaten at just about every eatery in Falls Creek and more than once. Including some of noted ones above.

I am not an el-cheapo and dont mind paying good money for a good meal.

I have also paid good money for a poor meal. Don't need to mention the outlets as they have already been named!

I think most reasonable people expect to pay more at the snow ( I know I do) but when there is not value with that meal, ie, good quality FRESH food, not food that has been reheated or put back in the pot, meat that has been doused in vinegar to "make it last a bit longer", it's all a bit much!

and complain, gawd who are we to complain! We are only the "customers"

Ask a local about the good places to eat and you will get a fair dinkum great idea of what is going on.

46. Snowgun1

Snowgun1 First Runs

Well Doogie, just to put the record straight, I am only a Falls Creek skier (I don’t work in Falls Creek nor have any shares in ski clubs), I like to stay in different lodges every time I stay in Falls Creek, my experience in Karelia was very pleasant and the food was good so I don’t support your views and as it goes for
    Big Al - The Chicken Parma is $35 (not $ 38 as you claim – your story gets better each time you tell it) and as it happens I had it on my last night there and considered that I had two helpings of green salads and chips and all for $ 35 – damn good value.

I never claimed that J.B.s offers fine dinning (however Karelia does - the upstairs restaurant), but a good value meals for your money.

Guys, if you don’t support our local resorts, then don’t get surprise if the resorts cost soar next year.

47. Big Al

Big Al First Runs

Hi Snowgun1,
    I saw a menu (yesterday) which had $38.00 on it (ie their published menu that is plastered around various places) maybe they gave you a big discount of $3! [​IMG]
    I think I have only told one story, unless I am missing something?
    [​IMG]

Always happy to support the resorts, hell I even buy most of my groceries on the mountain!

#47 Big Al, Aug 17, 2007
  48. spargo

spargo First Runs

During our week at Falls last week, we ate at the Man a few times - everyone's pizzas and other meals were pretty good and certainly good value..

Had lunch at the Falls Ck Hotel one day, watching the Big Air out the window - thought it was excellent and good value (thumbs up to the Spargo's!)

We went to the Cock & Bull, but didn't eat there after reading the menu and nearly dying of fright at the prices!! It's a fake English Pub inside a hotel - are they kidding themselves?

We ended up bringing more food than we needed, so we ate in more often than planned - which was a shame because I was keen to try the Japanese place at SilverSki after hearing good reports. But you can't beat a BBQ'd Rib Fillet out on the balcony of your own apartment looking across the Bowl and up the Summit!!!!

49. loc

loc Hard Yards

had lunch at huskis - was awesome and fresh.

50. Doogie

Doogie First Runs

Was that at Milsch? They are int he same building aren't they?

#50 Doogie, Aug 22, 2007