Worth buying bc gear just for use in Aus

wombatskis

First Runs
Jul 16, 2021
Hey everyone,

Just wanted an opinion on if it is worth it to buy bc gear if I will mainly be using it in Australia, NSW in particular, and will travel overseas (once we can) at least once a year.

I would be using the gear at least 30 days a season.

Cheers.

telenomore

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2010
Yes and no. Option 1. Thirty days in OZ I would buy as renting is not cost effective. I'm guessing overseas might be, for example, Japan BC?. in which case, if you buy for OZ as that is where you use the kit most, you could then use the same boots of course and rent some powder boards in Japan or elsewhere.

Option 2 might look like this if you are looking to get a kit for both OZ and OS. Look at something around 100mm underfoot with good sidecut and most importantly, a rockered tip. This can give a good turn radius for OZ conditions and good floaty rocker for OS. Not perfect though so IMO, option 1 would be best.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Hey everyone,

Just wanted an opinion on if it is worth it to buy bc gear if I will mainly be using it in Australia, NSW in particular, and will travel overseas (once we can) at least once a year.

I would be using the gear at least 30 days a season.

Cheers.
So are you skiing 30 days a season OR skiing 30 days BC in Oz in a season?

Reactions: cornice11

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
30 days BC I reckon, I ski in bounds most weekends in season.

30 days BC, buy a completely dedicated BC kit, ski boots and poles.

1st rule of BC kit is light is right.

2nd rule of BC, see rule 1.

My comment on bacon, probe and shovel is I have the kit, I rarely carry it. If I really rooly feel the need to carry it's a sign to ski somewhere else or some other time.

Japan BC, beacon, probe & shovel every time.

Last edited:

Laska Goralska

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2018
Here, or skiing
I spend about five weekends a year out of the resort, which is a lot less than 30 days. I can't imagine being able to do that if I didn't have my own touring gear. Not sure I get your question, 30 days per year of backcountry skiing is a fair bit and would def justify own gear.

Hell, when I got my own gear the first year I only managed a couple of BC trips for a total of about four days skiing out of bounds. Still felt like money well spent.

Scrap

One of Us
Apr 10, 2002
south east australia
Definitely not worth it:
DSCN0557.JPG

Newsteve

Hard Yards
Apr 11, 2020
Sydney
I ski a week each year at perisher with my downhill mates and they still go on about my funny bindings (Dynafit) but my boots are comfy, my skis are light and I can ski anything they can. Plus I don't have to worry about hire stuff not fitting.
Unfortunately I often still have to wait while they hire gear :-(
OS I think having suitable gear of your own is good, the down side is you have to fly with it.
Probe and beacon is easy to take along.
Years ago, NZ guides would not allow telli gear, it had to be AT. I think it went back to guide prejudice, and strangely, Antarctica training???

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
I ski a week each year at perisher with my downhill mates and they still go on about my funny bindings (Dynafit) but my boots are comfy, my skis are light and I can ski anything they can. Plus I don't have to worry about hire stuff not fitting.
Unfortunately I often still have to wait while they hire gear :-(
OS I think having suitable gear of your own is good, the down side is you have to fly with it.
Probe and beacon is easy to take along.
Years ago, NZ guides would not allow telli gear, it had to be AT. I think it went back to guide prejudice, and strangely, Antarctica training???
I worked with a Swiss guide in the US, this is what he says on his website:

I strongly recommend Alpine randonne equipment for a trip in Europe. My past experience tells me that even an expert telemark skier will struggle and have a hard time skiing with a backpack due to the always-changing snow conditions. The telemark skier is usually slower in downhill skiing, takes more falls and gets tired more quickly.

Reactions: crackson

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org

I strongly recommend Alpine randonne equipment for a trip in Europe. My past experience tells me that even an expert telemark skier will struggle and have a hard time skiing with a backpack due to the always-changing snow conditions. The telemark skier is usually slower in downhill skiing, takes more falls and gets tired more quickly.
That's because telemarking makes the mountain bigger. Any skier who doesn't Telemark on our puny mountains is a sook.

telenomore

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2010
That's because telemarking makes the mountain bigger. Any skier who doesn't Telemark on our puny mountains is a sook.

A not surprising comment from a Swiss guide. I did experience some very anti tele attitudes from guides we met on the Haute Route. I did the Haute Route on tele skis with a group of bum tele skiers and we were far from being gun skiers but had absolutely no problem keeping up with the "Randonees" whatsoever. As a guide in Hokkaido I have had some extraordinary tele customers join me, one group in particular from Norway could out ski pretty much any Alpine Tourer, but they were young and fit. Im guessing the client demographic may play a part in the comments. They are not always young and fit!.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass