1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Would love some suggestions for Dec/Jan trip

Discussion in 'Japan' started by ixlix, Jul 15, 2019.

1. ixlix

ixlix First Runs

Hi everyone, I would love some suggestions for a two week trip starting on 26th dec this year.

A bit of background info, my gf and i are lower intermediate boarders who have been to Madarao (over NYE period) and Colorado (Steamboat, Snowmass & Copper). We can confidently do all of the blue runs at those destinations, however id really like to try some tree/powder boarding, so nothing too steep, or where you can end up in a river if you take the wrong turn!

Due to the time of year we are going i would like to head somewhere a little quieter than the usual Hakuba or Niseko. I have no issues with travelling a little further to find a place which is quiet, and being in a place where no English is spoken etc doesn't matter either. I haven't decided on North or South island yet, and would happily stay in a base town and visit several resorts around us. Saying that my gf loves ski in/out so she can go and rest whenever she wants. She would prefer western style accom with a private bathroom too.

Ive been doing a lot of reading, and am thinking maybe Shiga, Appi, Zao, Geto on Honshu or Furano, Tomamu, Rusutsu, Kiroro on Hokkaido.

Any suggestions would be great, as the more i read the more confused i get!!

Alex

2. Rick Ross Da Boss

Rick Ross Da Boss One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Hokkaido everyday of the week for mine

3. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

Iiyama City. You can get to a dozen resorts (Nozawa, Madarao/Tangram, Togari, Shiga Kogen, Kurohime, Togakushi, Ryuoo, X-Jam, etc.) anywhere between 15-60 minutes. Lots of nice restaurants and supermarkets. Easy access via shink from Tokyo.

Lucky Pete likes this.
  4. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

There's a reason MG posting above has a base in Akakura Onsen (Myoko Kogen area). Fits a number of your criteria, maybe check it out.

M_G likes this.
  5. crackson

crackson A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Sheet of purple om's or 100 microdots should do it.

Lucky Pete likes this.
  6. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

If you stay in a town and travel to resorts rent a little 4WD car. Make sure you arrive with your International Drivers Permits from RAC etc. Both of you get them so you can do the carts in Tokyo.

If you go to Shiga there is excellent intermediate tree riding at Ichinose Family lift. Each time we have been through there we have been the only ones hitting it. Get off the lift, go lookers right and you'll easily see it and no chance of going anywhere but back to piste. And that is just the start...

7. ixlix

ixlix First Runs

Thanks for the suggestions. I think a split between Shiga and Myoko sounds good to me. Would love to go to Yamaboku too.

MG, what are the accom options like in Akakura around last week of Dec, 1dt week of Jan?

8. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Tree/powder skiing means that there needs to have been enough snow over at least a few weeks to cover up obstacles.
    For near 100% possibility of reasonable snow down to the base, go to Hokkaido (the "North island") in the period you're planning.
    This is less certain in central Japan (Honshu, the "Middle island") at that time. There's not much snow in Kyushu (the "South" island ;) )

See this thread:
    https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/japan-general-tips-for-when-and-where-to-go-for-snow.69888/

9. M_G

Completely full early Jan at Red Warehouse. Could do you a room last week of Dec though (still have two rooms left). Otherwise can find you something else in the village depending on your needs and budget. Local hotels get tough to book from about 28 Dec till 3 Jan due to NY holidays. PM me and I'll try and help you sort something.

10. ixlix

ixlix First Runs

M_G, how do you find the snow around the last week of Dec usually? When we went to Madarao there was plenty by that time, is that the norm? Hokkaido is about the same price to get to once you factor in the Shink cost+flight for Niigata.

11. M_G

Usually it's good by that time (top to bottom) but usually not enough for decent back and side country. But every year is different.

It's about 9,000 yen to get here on the train. Doubt you'll get that price to Hokkaido unless you're very savvy with flight bookings.

12. ixlix

ixlix First Runs

I've found flights direct to Tokyo for $1070 or with 1 stop to Sapporo for $1270. Is that 9000yen one way?

Iwate area is intriguing me due to some good reviews and likelihood it won't be crowded. But then I like the idea of being able to have bases at Shiga and Myoko and easy access to so many areas. Decisions decisions.

13. travelislife

travelislife One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

The tourist airfares are fixed price 10,000 yen or there about's I think if can jump on those.

14. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Remember........that $1270 price just gets you to Sapporo, then you also need to add overland transport costs to where?
    Eg: If your doing Sapporo Airport to Furano on resort liner bus......thats 4000Yen pp one way.
    And yes, the 9000Yen pp ball park price from Tokyo to Myoko on the train is one way.
    If your in and out of Japan in 14 days you can buy the JREast Nagano/Niigata pass online for 17,000Yen.
    https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/eastpass_n/index.html?src=gnavi
    If your going to Shiga as well you would need to factor in and include 2000Y pp one way from Nagano St to Shiga on the Nagaden bus.

15. ixlix

ixlix First Runs

Thanks guys, all the info is much appreciated.

Lucky Pete likes this.