Travel Life WTF is going on with flights?

Hermannator

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2010
The 'Gul
Scomo has said int'l flights next month, in my case, office shutting down over xmas (even WFH), my window is boxing day to Jan 9 (like many, I'm sure) and I'm looking to ski... Cattle Ex-MEL for me.

Looking at EU/US/CAN/JP - JP seems reasonable at around $2k. US also around that mark. But EU/CAN - if there's anything under $3k the return leg ends up being horrendous scheduling at over 25h ex YVR and 45h back from Europe!

So, focussing on EU with major hubs like ZRH, FRA, GVA etc and applying the filters (google flights, under 30h duration) and the price goes up $500-1000. Whilst searching the parameters MEL- Europe (dep 26/12, ret 8/1), found this doozy:

MEL-VCE $2,900: CX104, LX139, LX1660; LH329, LH112, LH790, QF36
(via HKG, ZRH there and FRA, MUC, SIN back)

But as soon as I try to recreate the above as a multi-city (but lop off the legs to Venice) it ends up $9k,
If I try MEL-ZRH return, it's $3.6k, same for MEL-MUC, MEL-FRA etc.

WTF? Extra legs = cheaper... Maybe I'll get a travel agent to sort out (if they even exist anymore)...

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Extra, less convenient routes are commonly cheaper
Also networks are in disarray

Yes..... By the end of the month, I will have flown to the US 4 times from Japan in the last year. There are flight schedule changes every couple of weeks......
I've even had one flight changed to a day earlier, as flights to and in the US are changed. I've sometimes had changes to internal flights that screw up connecting flights.
It pays to check your flights every week or two.

Reactions: Chalkie

Hermannator

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2010
The 'Gul
Extra, less convenient routes are commonly cheaper
Thing is, those routes are added on after the "hubs" (as opposed to stops on the way to the hubs) I actually want to go to - e.g. want Zurich, but there's an extra leg to Venice. But stopping the sequence of flights at Zurich costs more...

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Thing is, those routes are added on after the "hubs" (as opposed to stops on the way to the hubs) I actually want to go to - e.g. want Zurich, but there's an extra leg to Venice. But stopping the sequence of flights at Zurich costs more...
Ah!!!!!!

I've noticed that with the US...... If you want a direct flight, it's almost impossible.
For example, I was looking at flights from Haneda (Tokyo) to Dallas, but you had to go via LAX or Seattle. But if you chose Haneda (Tokyo) to Austin via Dallas, it was ok. But you can't get off at Dallas because your bags are checked all the way through.

And I've seen this on many combinations. My guess is that they want you to have a seat on a domestic flight, or a transit hub. This may be the case so they can more easily change the route if an international or domestic flight is cancelled/consolidated.

Hermannator

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2010
The 'Gul
Ah!!!!!!

I've noticed that with the US...... If you want a direct flight, it's almost impossible.
For example, I was looking at flights from Haneda (Tokyo) to Dallas, but you had to go via LAX or Seattle. But if you chose Haneda (Tokyo) to Austin via Dallas, it was ok. But you can't get off at Dallas because your bags are checked all the way through.
The only thing stopping me from getting off at stop 2 (and ditching stop 3) - the all important bags containing skis.

Maybe time to go cabin-only...

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Ah!!!!!!

And I've seen this on many combinations. My guess is that they want you to have a seat on a domestic flight, or a transit hub. This may be the case so they can more easily change the route if an international or domestic flight is cancelled/consolidated.
Just more about this..... My next trip is Haneda - Seattle - SLC - Austin. It was a "cheap" sale flight (~$650 round trip).
I booked a flight July - December (Japan - US - Japan), and a cheap flight August - October (US - Japan - US). I'll be using the 2nd leg of each trip this time: October Japan-US, December US - Japan.

I think that the cheap flight connections (Haneda - Seattle - SLC - Austin) help to prop up quieter routes in the off season so they can retain the route. This may be another reason. e.g. your flight to Zurich via Venice.

piolet

Better make it three
Ski Pass
May 27, 2004
in the cupboard covered in dust
Do we still need to ask the govt nicely if we can leave Australia?

From mid november, no. There was a pretty big announcement about it.

Unsure what mechanism will prevent it at a state level.

Reactions: emkae

emkae

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
From mid november, no. There was a pretty big announcement about it.

Unsure what mechanism will prevent it at a state level.

“From next month”….a specific date would help

But at least we will be able to get out

piolet

Better make it three
Ski Pass
May 27, 2004
in the cupboard covered in dust
I'm not going to book until January I don't think

Yeah there'll only be more capacity to come. Very restricted rn but as airlines gain certainty they'll wind up the jets.
Qf is trying to get an inside track on that and twisting in knots to deliver max 787 asap but sia is onto it too
Not sure what the desert slavers are doing

Reactions: CarveMan

Hermannator

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2010
The 'Gul
Could be acute loadings or different levels of servicing etc. Ie. Dubrovnik is an incredibly popular tourist destination with lots of flights meanwhile zagreb....different animal

Networks and yield is a dark art
A dark art indeed, considering you're going via Zagreb in both cases...

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yeah thats what i referenced in my post above... not sure what the mechanism is, being federal. The announcement was that states > 80%DD can open up.

My assumption is that you MAY be able to fly from WA or QLD to Sydney, to then take an international flight.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Yeah there'll only be more capacity to come. Very restricted rn but as airlines gain certainty they'll wind up the jets.
Qf is trying to get an inside track on that and twisting in knots to deliver max 787 asap but sia is onto it too
Not sure what the desert slavers are doing
No international tourism till well into 2022 but...

Can't imagine many airlines keen on just carrying Aussies.

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010
I have Syd - Haneda booked for about 9 months on points. Return flight cancelled about a fortnight ago and not yet rebooked by Qantas.

Reactions: piolet

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaltown
I have Syd - Haneda booked for about 9 months on points. Return flight cancelled about a fortnight ago and not yet rebooked by Qantas.
one of my fellow geriatrics has had Sydney-Narita booked since early last year, had to change from 2021 to 2022
he's still keen - our crew gets emails semi-regularly reminding us
I'd like to do it, but was holding off waiting for the news re volunteering for Beijing 2022

Reactions: Budgiesmuggler

Hermannator

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2010
The 'Gul
Really? I thought at 80dd that would change
Doesn't look like it.. from here and other articles I've seen:

"only fully vaccinated Australian citizens and permanent residents will be able to participate in the home quarantine scheme."

which is 7 days of big brother...

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan
You still planning the big milestone birthday trip?
Not next year. Figure its too risky to be planning on bashing through Europe and crossing borders.
Might just aim for some time in Canada.....February sounds good.

Hopefully world more normal and BIG trip in '23

Reactions: CarveMan
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass