Travel Life WTF is going on with flights?

Reetro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
I can see Brisbane - LAX - Vancouver for $205 (55900 pts)18/2 and return for the same cost? We have to be a little flexible with dates. Not too bad , a bit dearer than usual , but we all have heaps of points!! SO $800 for fares , then Mtn Collective in 23. Might have a Canadian tour in August yet.

Last edited:

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I've flown a fair bit in many different seats and tbh when with the fam economy is preferred as i can sit directly beside them and maybe even box them in LOL plenty of room when beside a kid.

Solo crammed in with strangers is a different experience.
Not so great when they get bigger than you and are misery guts the whole flight if they’re in the middle - you know Mama would prefer peace over comfort.

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010
I've flown a fair bit in many different seats and tbh when with the fam economy is preferred as i can sit directly beside them and maybe even box them in LOL plenty of room when beside a kid.

Solo crammed in with strangers is a different experience.

I once got long haul between two rugby players. Was not pleasant.

Reactions: piolet
Nov 14, 2000
Australia
Yeah there'll only be more capacity to come. Very restricted rn but as airlines gain certainty they'll wind up the jets.
Qf is trying to get an inside track on that and twisting in knots to deliver max 787 asap but sia is onto it too
Not sure what the desert slavers are doing
You mention SIA - who do appear to be gearing up their network (particularly as those 'travel lanes' are announced) But not yet to Australia ?? Aren't they waiting for Aust government to announce more of the 'devil in the detail' Really struggling to see much coming up for SIA at the moment

Reactions: piolet

piolet

Better make it three
Ski Pass
May 27, 2004
in the cupboard covered in dust
You mention SIA - who do appear to be gearing up their network (particularly as those 'travel lanes' are announced) But not yet to Australia ?? Aren't they waiting for Aust government to announce more of the 'devil in the detail' Really struggling to see much coming up for SIA at the moment
I dunno i just heard they're firing up the jets they had stored at Alice springs.

Reactions: skifree

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Sign up for a credit card with 100,000 sign on points. Do the minimum spend. Cancel card.
Book return flight to Japan.

you’re welcome.
I wouldn't sign up just for the expectation of FF seats or upgrades any time soon.

I've done 3 international flights in the last year, and will be doing another next week. Each time I've looked at FF, and to get a main cabin FF, you're looking at 500,000-650,000 points!!!!

Best bet: Since some of your FF points have probably expired on some Airline FF programs, it's a good time to shop around for OTHER FF programs to get the best deals.
e.g. Delta running +50%-75% bonus right now. A round trip to LAX from Sydney will net you almost enough status points for Silver, and unlimited free upgrades to Comfort+ in international, and some Comfort+ or 1st class on domestic. Any internal Delta flights from/to LAX will put over for silver. FF Miles never expire (unlike my p$ssweak Q FF.)
Delta also have carry over status points. I'll end up being about 8000 points short of diamond status (125,000). But since Platinum is 75,000 points, I'll carry over 42,000 points (117,000-75,000), and I'll only be 8000 points short of Gold (50,000), and 33,000 short of platinum for 2024.

If you have Virgin Australia FF, Swap to Delta as they are partner airlines.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010
I wouldn't sign up just for the expectation of FF seats or upgrades any time soon.

I've done 3 international flights in the last year, and will be doing another next week. Each time I've looked at FF, and to get a main cabin FF, you're looking at 500,000-650,000 points!!!!

Best bet: Since some of your FF points have probably expired on some Airline FF programs, it's a good time to shop around for OTHER FF programs to get the best deals.
e.g. Delta running +50%-75% bonus right now. A round trip to LAX from Sydney will net you almost enough status points for Silver, and unlimited free upgrades to Comfort+ in international, and some Comfort+ or 1st class on domestic. Any internal Delta flights from/to LAX will put over for silver. FF Miles never expire (unlike my p$ssweak Q FF.)
Delta also have carry over status points. I'll end up being about 8000 points short of diamond status (125,000). But since Platinum is 75,000 points, I'll carry over 42,000 points (117,000-75,000), and I'll only be 8000 points short of Gold (50,000), and 33,000 short of platinum for 2024.

If you have Virgin Australia FF, Swap to Delta as they are partner airlines.

I get cheap Qantas club membership through work, so I don’t worry about status. I also have access to a bunch of other lounges through diffeeent things.

But yeah, can’t see many flights on pointsz

Qantas just perm cancelled my Japan points
Flight for December

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass