1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

www.hakubaconnect.com

Discussion in 'Noticeboard' started by Stemik, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Stemik

Stemik Hard Yards

Hello, Because of the lack of information in recent years, poor official tourist website and most websites pushing their own agenda.
    I have created a new independent website for all the Hakuba Valley.
    Please feel free to look over, and let me know if you thing anything should included or anything is outdated or if anything is just plain wrong.
    I hope you can contribute over the coming years.

http://www.hakubaconnect.com

#1 Stemik, Oct 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  2. zhenjie

zhenjie Hard Yards

Really really nice website! Lots of information, good luck with it.

3. Stemik

Stemik Hard Yards

Thanks Zhenjie. I appreciate your kind comments

4. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Yeah really good info....prob needs a bit of jazzing up lookwise IMO , but solid info.

5. rangerider

rangerider A Local

Looks great, good luck with it.

6. Steeze_McQueen

Steeze_McQueen Hard Yards

Great job Stemik! Very informative and easy to navigate. It's really good to have so much info in one place. [​IMG]

#6 Steeze_McQueen, Oct 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  7. Donza

Donza Pool Room

I think you'll need a bex and a good lie down after navigating this.

#7 Donza, Oct 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  8. BoardLady

BoardLady Hard Yards

Great job Stemik!
    A breath of fresh air!

Every question I had in my head, I could find the answer to reasonably quickly. So easy to navigate and visually un-cluttered!

Obviously it's still a work-in-progress and some details are yet to come (eg lift data). And the accommodation/restaurant sections could certainly expand. But no doubt these will in time,as more people become aware of the website and put in their 2-bobs worth.

The forum is also good as it allows objectivity of opinion/recommendations.

Well done. I'll be bookmarking it!

9. timmyhugecans

timmyhugecans One of Us

Well done, good stuff. lots of info.

10. damian

damian A Local

Much needed in this town! snowjapan did a very poor job of serving the major resorts - two pages in total for Hakuba and a crumby tourist site (made by the same people as sj). It will also be nice to see a local alternative to pure commercial vested interests parading as informational as a guide to sell product.

11. smitty484

smitty484 Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I notice that you say Goryu has 762cm of snow a year, where is Cortina has 1200cm. Is there really that much difference?

12. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Yep...I reckon that would be right...well to some degree
    Its amazing how much diffirence 20mins in a car makes.
    You wait till you goto Nozawa..it goes from Nothing to Niseko like snowbanks in the matter of 10mins as you go upto the village

#12 Donza, Oct 1, 2009
  13. damian

damian A Local

Of course those numbers are for the base stations.

Cortina is closer to the ocean and has relatively few bigger mountains between it and the coast. Where as Goryu, further south is further from the coast but much more importantly there is a huge 3000m high wall for the clouds dump all over before snowing on Goryu. And that strip of mountains is 18km wide. Where as if you go up behind Cortina to 2100m, you can see the coast due to the lack of any higher mountains in between.

14. Stemik

Stemik Hard Yards

I guess that is a mistake. Goryu would probably be in the region of 1100cm (of course it depends on where you calculate).
    Cortina is the jewel at the end of the valley and does get the first of the snow that rolls in from the Sea of Japan, even at 1200cm i might be under predicting.
    As Donza says those Nigata areas close to the sea can get even more!
    There is a ski resort called Charmon near the coast. (i think it has 2 or 3 lifts) This beauty gets some of the most powder anywhere in Japan.

#14 Stemik, Oct 1, 2009
  15. damian

damian A Local

I'm all for getting off topic.

Goryu 07/08 season: 920cm

Goryu 08/09 season: 616cm

Both measured by me at 860m (a little way up hill of the gondola) every single morning using a 'proper' new snowfall measurement board.

16. Stemik

Stemik Hard Yards

how much extra snow would you think the top of the mountain receives?

17. smitty484

I wasn't having a dig, always just wondering. Site looks good but. I am thinking Hakuba area with car might be the go for the following year. Soo much choice.

18. smitty484

Yeh I actually noticed similar sort of thing going to Furano this year. A lot of the bus trip there was hardly any snow, especially on aspects that were hit by the sun all day. Then all of a sudden...Bam lots of snow everwhere. I think the bus trip must go further east and then come back west into the township.

#18 smitty484, Oct 1, 2009
  19. damian

damian A Local

coor, dunno. My uneducated guess is the extra 800m would give about 30% more in a normal season, but last season what should have fallen as snow often (15 times) fell as rain - and a lot of that valley rain would have been snow up top. I estimated last season at my station we had at least 200cm of snow that came as rain. But then you have more wind up there.

Too many variables to extrapolate the top station snowfall from the base station for seasons cumulative. It is best done on a storm-by-storm basis.

#19 damian, Oct 1, 2009
  20. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Charmant doesn't get much more snow than other places in Niigata Prefecture. Myoko gets more, as does Kagura.

Places VERY near the coast don't get as much snow as resorts more than 20km in. Charmant is only around 12km from the coast, with no high ground to the north or northwest. This means that the orographic lift is too sudden, so the moisture doesn't have as much time to cool and condense. Mind you Charmant does well for that close to the coast.

On the other hand, Cortina has high ground to the north and northwest, so the lift provides good cooling and condensation. The reason Cortina generally gets MORE snow than the rest of Hakuba, is that the mountains rise to a much greater height to the northwest of the other resorts, so more snow falls on the northwest side of the heights. Iwatake, Happo, 47/Goryu down to Sun Alpina tend to get "spillover" from these falls.

In central Japan, a couple of places in Gunma Prefecture generally get more snow than anywhere in Nagano or Niigata Prefectures.

#20 Sandy, Oct 1, 2009
  21. AndyP

AndyP Hard Yards

Agree - Cortina is the 1st real steep area that get the snow clouds off the Sea of Japan, so when it comes in they get it 1st. Just doen't always stay.

22. AndyP

AndyP Hard Yards

Not had a chance to look at your site in detail, but picking up on the comments above on mountain info, you can have a look at our website and rip as much as you like out from it. http://www.doubleblackhotel.com/the-mountains/
    I went through loads of local sites and cross referenced them. Very boring. This one was the one I used most, as it gave a consistent representation across the different areas, plus its 'official'. http://www.vill.hakuba.nagano.jp/english/top/ski/index.html Hope that helps. Nice to see a site so dedicated to Hakuba.

Not sure of your policies, but give me a shout, andrew@doubleblackhote.com always interested in opportunities to promo the hotel.

A

#22 AndyP, Oct 1, 2009
  23. Stemik

Stemik Hard Yards

Thanks AndyP - actually came across doubleblack website a few times in my research. Good hotel website.
    I will send you an email.

24. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

can I suggest a scaled map showing all of the ski areas. you list 13 different ski areas, but its not clear where they are relative to each other or hakuba.

25. Stemik

Stemik Hard Yards

Thanks Gareth...Good idea, I have one map with all the ski areas on it, but its not great quality....Let me think on how to implement that into the site.

#25 Stemik, Oct 2, 2009
  26. damian

damian A Local

Stemik - perhaps also make clear that of the 13 ski areas, only a few are proper ski resorts (4: Cortina, Tsugaike, Happo, 47/Goryu), some a small but nice (2: Iwatake, Sun Alpina Kashimarayi), and others shouldn’t rate a mention (the rest). Although factually true, 13 resorts is misleading to internationally savvy ski holiday makers who then arrive to a bit of a let down.

27. HakubaBCbum

HakubaBCbum First Runs

Although it must be said that if you buy the three mountain pass for Sanosaka, Aokiko and Kashimayari, its actually a very worthwile place to hit. We send our guests there by free shuttle bus at least once a week (usually on weekends when other places are busy) and they come back stoked.

Norikura taken together with Cortina with the two mountain pass is also great.

Other areas like highland and minekata I concur are a waste of time for anyone who can ski half decently.

#27 HakubaBCbum, Oct 2, 2009
  28. damian

damian A Local

Yeah, I lumped Sanosaka, Aokiko and Kashimayari together as one ski area. It is a nice setup. Also lumped Cortina and Norikura together as one pretty much by default. I also lump 47/G together.

Wasn't there once a time when Happo, Kokusai and Sakka would have been counted as three separate resorts?

Of the smaller names in the valley, I like Kashimayari and Iwatake. Both deserve more love on a good day.

29. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

That's true..... Sun Alpina (Sanosaka, Aokiko and Kashimayari) is not challenging, but there's something very nice about it!!! And of course the Men's day (Wed) and Ladies Day (Fri) are cheap, cheap, cheap (2100yen)

#29 Sandy, Oct 2, 2009
  30. Stemik

Stemik Hard Yards

It is a fair comment Damian. But as you say it is factually true, and if you do search the site you can find the lift data for all the ski resorts.
    I guess if you look at the 3 valleys in France, they market as over 600km and180lifts, but an international savvy person knows that a lot of them will be beginner slopes with slow lifts.
    At the moment a lot of visitor numbers to the site are coming from the Singapore and Hong Kong. These may find a day at Minegata, with the gentle slopes, relaxed atmosphere, a bit of snow walking a great day......
    Maybe an article inside like "where should i go while in Hakuba?" might work.

#30 Stemik, Oct 3, 2009
  31. damian

damian A Local

That’s a good idea. An article grouping the 13 resorts into more meaningful chunks and then discussing the style of each one - aimed at different styles of visitors.

I still think it a stretch to call Sanosaka Aokiko a stand alone resort though. When grouped logically Hakuba has 4 main resorts and 2 small but good ones. And counting individual chair lifts just befuddles the situation even more. It is like Japan having 300 ski resorts – when it probably has less than 30 worth a visit, truth be told.

But if HK is where the hot money is, I guess you want to market to them.

32. Donza

Donza Pool Room

I think Morino has the most comprehensive list like this on their site, its the one that I send to my mates.
    But the problem is how do you get to these resorts? If you don't have a car.
    The shuttle buses are confusing.
    Hence people don't really go to far.
    And ski somewhere that ain't quite what they are after

#32 Donza, Oct 3, 2009
  33. damian

damian A Local

I wont pretend it isn’t a hassle. It gets worse because each resort then has their own shuttle schedule as well. This is the best I can offer to make the most of the valley’s venues besides Happo and 47/Goryu:

Cortina: they will come and pick you up from your door and drop you of again. For free. Read that again. You call them – they will come and get you.

Tsugaike: if you are in Happo you can get a bus there and be on the lift by 8.30 I think. But the bus early, 7.30-ish

Iwatake: perhaps the same bus as Tsugaike, just get of early.

The Sun Alpina set of resorts: They have a shuttle, but again, it is a hassle. As HakubaBCBum and Sandy said, it worth a day there, and if your accommodation provider wont drive you there then you should stay somewhere else. My take is if they want to make money providing accomm in Hakuba then they should provide a service that suits the image of Hakuba that they are trying to sell, "13 resort international ski area". That kind of boast needs to be backed up with service to the guest in the absence of a non-confusing shuttle bus service. I wouldn't stay at a place in Hakuba that didn't offer shuttle services (unless it was a discount/backpacker venue perhaps, I can understand why they don’t).

34. Stemik

Stemik Hard Yards

Cortina will have a bus service this year but you need to pre-book.
    happo bus you can get all around the resort will link up with iwatake and tsugaike.
    sun alpina - only sanosaka has a link, you can ski over to kashi
    yanaba no bus
    minekata will pick up
    goryu has 2 services one for toomi and the other for iimori
    47 has shuttle bus

35. Donza

Donza Pool Room

I reckon a system like the genki go, but for the resorts during the day would be the go. A bus system that loops.Not particular to any resort.
    Have bus stops that have one big sign in english, with the times listed.
    We have just developed a similar system here in Wollongong where I live.Its really popular cause its so easy to navigate (compared to the old system of three bus companies)
    There are unique signs that are obvious. Big and bright green.The signs in Hakuba are non-descript and confusing
    The bus stops should be numbered.
    It loops in a similar area size wise to Hakuba.

36. stovemiester

stovemiester First Runs

Great idea Donza as the shuttle system during the day can be a bit confusing the first few days you visit.

37. Stemik

Stemik Hard Yards

The issues regarding buses are raised every time in meetings. One or maybe two loops would work fine.....
    I mean does Goryu/47 really need 3 different bus services?

#37 Stemik, Oct 4, 2009
  38. Skido

Skido First Runs

Hey Stemik,

Great site! Lots of excellent information pretty easily navigated.

Well done.

39. Stemik

Stemik Hard Yards

#39 Stemik, Oct 5, 2009