1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

www.ski-hakuba-japan.com

Discussion in 'Noticeboard' started by Doreman, May 13, 2008.

1. Doreman

Doreman First Runs

hey peops. We have launched a new website, www.ski-hakuba-japan.com http://www.ski-hakuba-japan.com basically with the site we are trying to consolidate as much useful information on this area i.e trail maps, resort info, food and bars (whilst also running a commercial operation selling travel). There are still many things to be fixed up but any feedback or if any one has any content they would like to contribute it would be greatly appreciated.

#1 Doreman, May 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  2. nvidea

nvidea First Runs

Site looks simple and clean. Needs more detailed info though
    I suppose that could make people want to organise their own trips
    One of the problems I found when deciding which resort to work for in Hakuba was where they are in location and how far apart they are from each other. So I suggest a good resorts locality map (in english) would be nice.

I ended up working for Tsugaike Kogen as they had a good Lift ticket deal for staff. Full access to Iwatake and some lifts at Happo. I had already ridden 2 seasons at Goryuu and 47 so the new terrain was an interest too. So if you want any little bits of inside info on Tsugaike I'd be happy to help out.

3. Doreman

Doreman First Runs

Thanks nivdea,
    It is working progress, more information is on the way and the site wil be updated very frequently this is just the start. Map is a great idea and will be added quite soon.

4. The Accountant

The Accountant First Runs

Hi, Site looks good, got some cool pictures on there.

I've heard Hakuba is set to get a lot bigger this season. I'm keen to get over there but don't want to go somewhere where it will be super crowded. Which of the resorts tends to be quieter but still has good terrain?

5. fattwins

fattwins One of Us

The sole suppliers of self contained accom is a fair stretch cause that is not true.

6. Doreman

Doreman First Runs

Hey Fattwins, for the self contained properties listed we are the sole provider for them in 0809. We are clearly not sole providers for all self contained accommodation in Hakuba and it was never the intention to give that impression. Thanks though for the feedback i will have it changed ASAP.

7. Doreman

Doreman First Runs

Hey Accountant, early bookings are pointing in the direction of a big season. On weekdays (unless it is a Japanese Holiday) none of the resorts are too busy. Iwatake has some great terrain and is usually fairly quiet, powder can still be found there a few days after a dump.

8. The Accountant

Ok cool, Do you know what the patrol are like at Iwatake. I'd be pretty keen to get a look at some of those tree lines.Cheers.

9. nvidea

nvidea First Runs

I rode a couple times last season at Iwatake, spent about 30 minutes looking for a friend after we lost him through the trees (his first time, didn't wait for us) and had no problems with ski patrol at all. Just be careful if you duck under some lift lines, as the chairs came seriously close to our heads.

10. The Accountant

Cheers NVidea I'll keep that in mind.

11. nisstrust

nisstrust One of Us

Doreman its a good site to navigate around, however i found it slightly slow and laggy, it might be my connection.
    Anyhow good timing for me as i am currently planning next seasons trip there and was planning on going to Hakuba. i wouldent mind seeing a special deal put together for us members [​IMG]
    Otherwise how far is the packaged lodge away from iwatake, might be useful to place a google map of where the lodge is located so that we can get a better idea of where everything is. I'd go so far as to say, that creating a special map that identifies the lodge, shuttles etc for your service would be great.
    *oh yeah i just used the contacts and bookings section will see how long it take for someone to get back to me [​IMG]

#11 nisstrust, May 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  12. jh_16

jh_16 Hard Yards

I like the site! Since i am looking at this area for next season i was interested in your site! Im not sure if you have this but rates on how much tickets are for day passes and say season passes as well because this would be a good piece of information to have!

13. krobbo

krobbo Hard Yards

What is the go with the section at the bottom. The fav resorts have good links but the other lists which are in the same format have no links. Maybe you should change the format for this section. Note also spelling of Sweeden.

Hope this helps! Awesome photos.

14. Doreman

Doreman First Runs

Hey guys, thanks for your feedback. We will be updating over the course of this week with Village maps, and alot more hotels and content. pdb thanks for pointing out that typo, dont know how we missed that. thanks heaps for all the great feedback.

15. Doreman

Doreman First Runs

Hey Nisstrust, the packaged lodge is a 10 minute shuttle bus from Iwatake. It is located in between the Happo area and Echo Land. We are getting this map up soon. cheers.

16. The Accountant

Does anyone know if the season passes in the Hakuba region are issued on a per mountain basis or can you get one that would give you access to all the mountains in the area. Cheers.

17. nvidea

nvidea First Runs

There's a Happy 7 pass, gives access to 7 resorts in the Hakuba area; Goryu, 47, Happo, Iwatake, Minetaka, Highland, Sanosaka.

not sure if you can get it for the whole season though.

18. Doreman

Doreman First Runs

There is a Happy 7 season pass, although this is only available to a very limited number of staff. The only option available to most people is getting a few different season passes.

19. The Accountant

Ok cheers, after going to the expo in Sydney can't wait for the Japanese season to start!

20. Doreman

Doreman First Runs

Hey guys, we have just updated the food and entertainment section with a number of our favorite bars, and resturants. If any one has any other favorites they want to shoot through then let me know, and I will add it to the site. cheers.

21. Doreman

Doreman First Runs

Hey All, Another update I have just put on a language tool so the site can be viewed in a number of differnt languages. If anyone has knows another language and has a chance to check out the feature and advise if it works well or whether the message is "lost in translation" that would be awesome. Cheers

22. californiadream

californiadream First Runs

Sorry, but the site wasn't helpful to me.

Logistics issues is something I just can't find on websites. Where are these places in proximity to airports. How long will it take to get thru immigration (ie is the airport one you circle for hours like Sydney, or an LAX with montrous lines). What's the easiest and most direct land route to these resorts. Travel times on train, bus etc are a mystery. Where the resorts in relation to a) airports, stations, bus stations and b) relative to each other. Do I need two one night hotels a) eating the budget and b) turning a 7 day trip into a 4 days on skiis and 2-3 days of travelling to, and staying in, a hotel near the airport. Overall, I think the best websites cater for the uninformed thinking about their first trip - us sites have first timer info on coldness, cafes in resorts, storage in resort lockers, video tours, snow cams, 360 degree panoramics of the hill or town, links to local businesses eg hire shops, details of towns.

Sorry, but I'm yet to find a japanese website that quickly answers typical questions that first timers have.

23. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Damn thats a pretty ambitious request. I think Snowjapan is the most informative site (on par with ski.com.au of course) I've ever used to plan an overseas ski holiday.

#23 Donza, Jun 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  24. fattwins

fattwins One of Us

The site is a tour company trying to pass itself off as a place to get information on Hakuba.

Snow Japan is a pretty good resource for sure.

25. Doreman

Doreman First Runs

Hey fattwins,

The purpose of the site was mentioned in the first post. Offer information on the resort, trail maps, details etc for people that are looking at visiting. And offering a service where we can sell travel and accommodation to those interested. We are not trying to "pass ourselves off" as anything. Thanks for the constructive comments california dream, I will look at intergrating the points you made. cheers.

26. The Accountant

Hey Doreman,

I reckon adding some logistic info could be helpful. I think I've found what I need by using your site and some others that are around. The main thing I was looking for was whether it was better to get on a bus or a train to get to Hakuba from Tokyo. I think I'll use the bus, trains could be a little too hectic with board bags etc...

27. Doreman

Doreman First Runs

Thanks Accountant. We are getting a few maps and more properties up over the next few days. I will also get some more detailed info on the transport options and how long they really take. Alot of companies will advertise that the time it takes to get to Hakuba is 1.5 hrs by bullet train. This isnt the case it will take 1.45 hrs from Tokyo station to Nagano, here there is normally a 45 minute + wait for the bus up to Hakuba that will then take a little over an hour, and longer when there has been snowfall. A highway bus from Shinjuku will take 4.5 hours and included in this time is 2 x 15 minute stops. Plus this option is alot cheaper.

28. snowishing

snowishing Hard Yards

Hey fattwins...take a chillpill and make your own information site and tell me you wouldnt list your accomodation as the place to stay...

29. Doreman

Doreman First Runs

Thanks to all people that have contributed and offered useful feedback. We have updated our packages page with some great deals, http://www.ski-hakuba-japan.com/specials-3/ and now have an online chat feature so you can ask our consultants any questions whilst on the website. Check them out, and any more feedback would be appreciated. cheers.

#29 Doreman, Jul 8, 2008
  30. The Accountant

Liked the online chat feature. Thanks for the useful info as well, it's good to questions answered straight away.
    Cheers.

31. Doreman

Doreman First Runs

#31 Doreman, Aug 12, 2008
  32. Xcape

Xcape Old n' Crusty

Everyone should avoid Hakuba. I hear it is a nasty place, bad snow and wicked people.

Everyone should go to Niseko; fabulous place, spiffalicious snow.

Plus, if you all avoid Hakuba... gives me more room to ski [​IMG] [​IMG]

#32 Xcape, Aug 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  33. TACKIE

TACKIE One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

The cam titled Hakuba47 is actually Goryu Toomi. 47 is around the other side of the hill.
    Cheers

#33 TACKIE, Aug 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  34. californiadream

californiadream First Runs

On another thread, there's talk about proximity to lifts, 800m walks to lifts vs 300m, and whether Wabano, Echoland.. and places in/near/different to Hakuba. I'm still geographically challenged. What I do like though is, in addition to price, the personal guide and land transfer deal offered to 1400 Ski Club of Victoria and 7,000 William Angliss and Elly Lukas Spa Institute people. The manager says they're waiting on brochures. I'd like to see pics of bedrooms and things, plans of room layouts showing ensuites and room sizes in sq.feet.

35. Doreman

Doreman First Runs

The Lab is located in between Echoland and the Nakiyama ski lifts of Happo One. It is close to the main bottle shop near Echoland, the Echoland Onsen and 7 11. The distance of 300 metres was taken from the scale on the town and property plans. The largest room of which there are 2 sleep 8 people and are 39.2m2 each, the smallest room which is a twin share room is 13m2. There are ensuites connected to some of the rooms, there are bathrooms and washrooms on each floor and there are Onsen style bathrooms in the basement floor. The location is walking distance to both Echoland main street and the Happo lifts, although if walking isnt your thing the lodge has a 22 seat mini bus which will be doing shuttles through the day and night.

36. creeds

creeds First Runs

-Post Deleted-

37. creeds

creeds First Runs

Post deleted

38. Doreman

Doreman First Runs

Dear creeds. It seems you have spent quite a while analysing our website, that’s great. We have contracts with a large number of properties in Hakuba, quite often these properties supply descriptions to us, as is standard practice with travel companies worldwide. For the property you have mentioned Cedarwood, we consider the location to be superb for the clients we sell this too. Usually families travelling together. It is located relatively close to both Iwatake and Happo One, this allows for families with children learning to get easy access to the wide open slopes of Iwatake or if they are more advanced the terrain at Happo.

By the sounds of things you are quite familiar with the Hakuba area, in this case you would be well aware of the private shuttle bus that does service these properties and runs very frequently through the day and evening, making it very accessible for families to choose a range of locations for dinner etc, and stopping off at supermarkets so families can get food for cooking and making use of the properties facilities (a service not offered by most other self contained options).

Your comment regarding Accommodations close to Hakuba 47 surprises me; there are a number of accommodations that are walking distance to Hakuba 47. A map of this specific property’s location will be added to the site today or tomorrow so feel free to check back on the link you so kindly posted above This is also serviced by the private shuttle bus to and from supermarkets etc.

Then finally questioning our companies’ credibility or knowledge is unnecessary. Our organisations operations have grown exponentially over the last 3 years, last year taking approximately 10 times the number of people on the previous year and this time we are looking to times last year by 4 or 5. This growth and the majority of business have come from repeat clients or repeat clients family and friends. I understand the market is now quite competitive. Perhaps you are one of these competitors? Either way it is important for clients to only book with licensed travel agents to ensure there funds are held in trust accounts and are secure, as there are operators offering trips to Hakuba that have no travel agent’s licence and in this case there is no security over your travel arrangements. We are a licensed travel agent number 32732. If you have any other grievances creeds feel free to email us directly: info@snowtour.com.au or call us, the numbers on the website.

39. creeds

creeds First Runs

-post deleted-

40. The Accountant

I'll be heading to Hakuba with these guys along with a group of my mates and so far all my dealings with them have been great. I was initially a little cautious with dealing with an internet based company (bit old fashioned I know) but I've spoken to a couple of their staff during the booking process (not sure if it was the owner) and I got the impression they knew what they were on about and they were able to answer the questions that I had. I found them to be quite helpful and offer the flexibility that I was after for my holiday.

Anyways I don't want to get involved in a slagging match, just adding my two cents.

I'm heading over for the NYE period and am looking forward to it. By the sounds of it Hakuba should be quite a busy and fun place over this period. Hoping for a heap of snow as well!

41. Doreman

Doreman First Runs

Creeds I am not willing to get into an argument on here with yourself, who is clearly one of our competitors in the Hakuba Market.

I will respond to the points you have made and be done with it. As I previously mentioned if you have any greviences with our operations please call us to discuss, it would be far more constructive than making ridiculous comments on a public forum.

Firstly maps are in the process of being added to all accommodation listings, so people can make there own judgement on where they want to stay, and see the distances between different facilities. For your information the property you are reffering to Cedarwood gets alot of clients returning year in year out, they obvioulsy find the location along with the facilities and complete service to be excellent otherwise they would choose other options.

We do not consistently portray falsehoods in our website, you have obvioulsy analyzed the whole thing over 60 pages, and have come back with 1 property that you consider the words "superb location" to be a false hood, and one property that google maps tells you is further away then it was advertised. This detail is being looked into and will be changed if you are correct. Then to make the outlandish comment that photo's are decieving???? 90% of these photos are stock photos that are used for all companies advertising the respective properties and by the properties them selves. There is nothing decieveing there.

I wish your business all the success possible but am sure you will not achieve it by spending your days nit picking competitors websites and making ridiculous comments on a few minor details.

42. creeds

creeds First Runs

-post deleted-

43. Doreman

Doreman First Runs

Thankyou for this reply Creeds. part of our process in continually improving our website, and products and services is updating the website with more information regarding properties and property details. Listing will be added to the properties along with distances and names of the closest facilities such as bars, retaurants etc. On the Misorano main street where Candian village is located there are a number of dinner options I am not sure if they are operating now in the Summer but I am sure they will be in the Winter.

In regards to The Lab, as has been brought up on this forum a few times and as we are advertising, this is the first season it will be operating commercially, after being owned previously by the main sponsor of the Japanese Ski Jump team and used to house athletes and corporate clients. Since taking ownership facilities such as a new bar and new refurb's of the rooms have taken place, so all the beds will now be western as advertised where as previously they were a comination of Western and Tatimi mats. For other people competely ignorant to the refurbs going on to comment on it, just shows there complete lack of knowledge.

We will check all details and if you could edit the posts as advised that would be appreciated.