1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question XC ski options in Switzerland??

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Mister Tee on XC Skis, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

Hi. My cousin now lives in Switzerland. Since I now have the XC ski bug I am pondering the options of visiting her one year in Feb. and doing some XC skiing over there.
    What can the panel suggest ?

2. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

3. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Just about anywhere. Start with wherever is local for your cousin?

Check this site: https://www.bergfex.ch/schweiz/langlaufen/

4. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

This member of the panel suggests lots and lots of money, everything in Switzerland seems to be double the price of anything anywhere else.

5. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Course at St. Moritz for Engadin Skimarathon looks spectacular, to say the least. Maybe put it on the list.

Hyst likes this.
  6. Mister Tee on XC Skis

If Moondog is right then I might be inclined to turn to crime to finance such a trip.

7. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Just go to Seefeld in Tirol.

8. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Whilst Die Schweiz might be more expensive than its neighbors, it really isn't that bad if one comes from expensive Australia. Yes take away pizza is expensive in CH but things like hotels, beer, ski passes (not needed in this case) are really quite reasonable. If you get a hotel/pension/B&B with half board, you've basically won the battle...

9. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I would of course take my own skis, boots and poles, BC XC skis and Skinny groomed track XC skis.

10. Luv my K2s

Luv my K2s Early Days

I would highly recommend it! Once I found Zermatt in particular, I never looked back so can highly recommend that resort (and I'm doing tours in March there if you're flexible on dates) but of course there are so many great places to ski in Switzerland. You should definitely make the most of it while your cousin is there. Depending on where your cousin is (though the country is small and trains super efficient so it's all doable there and beyond) and depending on what you mean by XC skiing there are loads of options. I've only done the skinny groomed track in Tasch (near Zermatt) and wouldn't particularly recommend that.. but then I'm not excited by that type of skiing (can say track looked better at Bad Hofgastein in Austria though). But if you're after back country/touring, then would recommend Zermatt, Andermatt and Verbier in particular. And yes, Switzerland is expensive but not by that much compared to Australia and prices are not inflated just cause you're up the mountain for example like they are here.. enjoy!

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  11. Lucho

Lucho First Runs

I love Zermatt also, but for back country ski and freeride is much better Verbier, as you have a lot of itineraries that are ungroomed and also a lot of freeride areas very accesible with a little trek, or skinning. Loads of possibilities there and amazing mountains. Zermatt though is a lovely car free town, very expensive though and a bit to posh for my opinion, and hardly much sun in the winter in the town. Verbier town is south facing with loads of sun and a great alpine vibe. I like both places, but I prefer the freeride in Verbier.

Here is a guide of Verbier what talks a bit about the ski areas: https://www.dropin-snow.com/verbier-guide/

I hope it helps, have fun there and hope you score some Powder!!

12. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

Davos for sheer amount of groomed trails, about 200km.

St Moritz for Switzerland's most participated in Nordic race.

Kandersteg for the most beautiful setting.