Trip Report XC Skiing at Lake Mtn. 1.8.18

Discussion in 'Lake Mountain' started by Mister Tee on XC Skis, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Hi . I went up and skied at LM today 1/8/18. It was grim and raining ( yes the R word :-0) when I got there. I was not feeling energetic , well or positive about my choice of weather and the lack of snow. There was a dusting of wet snow overnight but no mother load to set the hill up for weeks of fab. skiing.
    NO , the promised mother load of snow was just like the present PM of Ozstriya. A real fizzer.
    Thankfully the sun came out when I reached Panorama lookout .I ate my fruit and had a rest on the bench that has been put there to commemorate a ski patroller who expired at age 70 years of age , having rendered many years of service to LM.
    There were many bare areas below Helicopter flat. It was muddy , bare ….. rock hopper city. There was a nasty bare area that is not skiable near the Lookout rock on the Panorama track.I took my skis off there to negotiate that bit.I think I spoke to forum member EQUATOR BUNNY. I could be wrong, but she matched her own self description that she has proffered on this forum.
    The Upper Muster track was the best for skiing. I skied it outbound and on the return trip. The surface was groomed and fresh , but wet this morning. It became chopped up slush by 3 pm. I skied from 10.20 am until 3.30 pm. That included a ski lesson drilling step turns.
    The Instructor who shall remain nameless was a very strange man with a gruff and disinterested pedagogical manner. He didn't seem pleased at all to have an intermediate pupil for a one hour tuition.
    He also claimed to be able to speak a language that he did not know nor did anyone else know it. Moreover he went on to add that his vocabulary in this language of his is growing. Whether he was winding me up ,what with me being multilingual in some well known and widely spoken languages such as Hindi, Urdu , Persian and English ,
    or
    he is in the first stages of some kind of mental health episode, I cannot say. However I do not plan to have another XC ski lesson with that person.

I would like to have another lesson with the colourful and friendly Italian instructor Felix who does the funny promotional videos on the LM website. He is a good skier and a good enthusiastic instructor.
    My skiing is improving and I am crashing less, not flinching at the top of descending bends and skiing with more efficient control and confidence on green and easy blue runs. I did have a crash at the same spot where I crashed on the Panorama track when I was there in June 2018.
    :p.
    There is a nasty descending bend there where it drops down quite quickly .
    Some school groups were very noisy and they also chopped up the groomed surface.
    :-(
    Thanks to Teckel who sold me a ski lesson from her shop and had a friendly chat with me :) .

LM needs some cosmic blizzard action or it will soon be slim pickings.

I shall post some photos soon.

2. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Ski Pass - Gold

3. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Hi . I went up and skied at LM today 1/8/18. It was grim and raining ( yes the R word :-0) when I got there. I was not feeling energetic , well or positive about my choice of weather and the lack of snow. There was a dusting of wet snow overnight but no mother load to set the hill up for weeks of fab. skiing.
    NO , the promised mother load of snow was just like the present PM of Ozstriya. A real fizzer.
    Thankfully the sun came out when I reached Panorama lookout .I ate my fruit and had a rest on the bench that has been put there to commemorate a ski patroller who expired at age 70 years of age , having rendered many years of service to LM.
    There were many bare areas below Helicopter flat. It was muddy , bare ….. rock hopper city. There was a nasty bare area that is not skiable near the Lookout rock on the Panorama track.I took my skis off there to negotiate that bit.I think I spoke to forum member EQUATOR BUNNY. I could be wrong, but she matched her own self description that she has proffered on this forum.
    The Upper Muster track was the best for skiing. I skied it outbound and on the return trip. The surface was groomed and fresh , but wet this morning. It became chopped up slush by 3 pm. I skied from 10.20 am until 3.30 pm. That included a ski lesson drilling step turns.
    The Instructor who shall remain nameless was a very strange man with a gruff and disinterested pedagogical manner. He didn't seem pleased at all to have an intermediate pupil for a one hour tuition.
    He also claimed to be able to speak a language that he did not know nor did anyone else know it. Moreover he went on to add that his vocabulary in this language of his is growing. Whether he was winding me up ,what with me being multilingual in some well known and widely spoken languages such as Hindi, Urdu , Persian and English ,
    or
    he is in the first stages of some kind of mental health episode, I cannot say. However I do not plan to have another XC ski lesson with that person.

I would like to have another lesson with the colourful and friendly Italian instructor Felix who does the funny promotional videos on the LM website. He is a good skier and a good enthusiastic instructor.
    My skiing is improving and I am crashing less, not flinching at the top of descending bends and skiing with more efficient control and confidence on green and easy blue runs. I did have a crash at the same spot where I crashed on the Panorama track when I was there in June 2018.
    :p.
    There is a nasty descending bend there where it drops down quite quickly .
    Some school groups were very noisy and they also chopped up the groomed surface.
    :-(
    Thanks to Teckel who sold me a ski lesson from her shop and had a friendly chat with me :) .

LM needs some cosmic blizzard action or it will soon be slim pickings.

I shall post some photos soon.

skifree and teckel like this.
  4. neilmny

neilmny Hard Yards

5. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Lake Mtn. 1.8.18

Equus, EquatorBunny and neilmny like this.
  6. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Lake Mtn. 1.8.18.Panorama lookout. The sun came out which was nice.

7. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Lake Mtn. Resting at Panorama lookout.1.8.18

8. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

1.8.18. I didn't ski/scout out the LM Hut loop. I was using my skinny skis and my BC XC skis would have been better for that soft ungroomed terrain.

Equus and EquatorBunny like this.
  9. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Panorama ski track. 1.8.18
    I ended up skiing from 10.20 am until 3.30pm with a couple of food/snack/ hot tea breaks.

Equus and EquatorBunny like this.
  10. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

The Hut trail looked inviting and being the highest terrain on the LM hill it looked like it had some continuous snow cover.

Equus, skifree and EquatorBunny like this.
  11. EquatorBunny

EquatorBunny Hard Yards

Awesome report Mister T!
    Although I don't think I went up mid-week last week. Hehe

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.