Trip Report XC skiing at Lake Mtn. 22.8.18

Discussion in 'Lake Mountain' started by Mister Tee on XC Skis, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

The huge snowfall that fell on Sunday August 19th 2018 that led Vic Roads to close the access road to Lake Mtn. on Sunday and Monday morning attracted my attention as a keen XC skier.
    So with a Wed. free and the roads open, I rose at 6 am on 22.8.18 and was packed , ready and on the road to LM by 7 am.
    It was not overly congested with traffic on the Heidelberg-Eltham- Yarra Glen- Healesville- Narbethong- Marysville - LM run that I know oh so well in white season.
    I stopped in to say hi to Teckel at Mystic Mountains ski hire and to put on my ski boots somewhere dry because r**n was falling.
    The snow started to become visible at Nicholl's lookout which is not that far up the hill from Marysville.
    When I arrived the car park was one row full. It did seem to be rather warm up there but one hoped that up near Panorama Track there would be snow falling and not drizzle .
    I put my skinny skis on and took my lunch in my day pack.
    Immediately some 200 M. up the track from snow ball thrower land at the Village, I was struck by how much snow there was. The cover was prodigious and it seemed that 2 cm or so had fallen overnight because the Green runs that lead to the Snow Gum Track were nearly untracked and ungroomed.
    Helicopter flat was just WOW.
    The soft fresh snow was a bit wet and rather slow but overall that is being churlish. I thought it was quite good to ski on indeed. :)There were a few skaters and fish scale classic skiers about before 10 am which is when I set off but mostly I had some trails to myself in beautiful mild weather. It was too mild to wear gloves and the wooly beanie came off rather soon too. There was NO WIND. It was very still.
    Daggers made of ice were falling from the trees as the sun loomed higher behind the clouds and it made me glad that I had chosen to wear my helmet.
    One of those chunks of ice falling with speed from some height indeed could concuss anyone if it connected with the skull.
    Being my first ski back after a 9 day lay off due to a ski fall induced injury I was keen to ski in control and not get too cocky on the blue runs.
    My usual lunch spot at The Camp was buried in snow so I skied onto Woolly Butt track which I enjoy skiing . It has Mr. Tee friendly descending bends.
    I snow ploughed and step turned my way through that without any incident. I found it to be easier to ski on this time. I would say that is because my abilities and technique have improved .It was so nice I began to sing to myself :) .
    My gammy Hammy leg was warming up and so far so good with the skiing as physio therapy scheme.
    I had lunch at The Gap which is when the sun came out for a bit.. Again the wheelie bins were all buried up to their lids and the picnic table was almost submerged by snow.:emoji_snowflake:
    I then skied the upper Muster track which was very nice to ski on, smooth and soft , gliding along was a breeze and nobody was out there either. There were big sticks that were dropping like knives straight down from the trees into the ski surface as well as more ice falling from the trees. Skiing over the chunks of ice on skinny skis without metal edges was occasionally unsteady but one had to just keep one's XC ski slouch posture and ski forwards until the fish scale pattern reconnected with snow and not ice.
    I went to the Lookout rock turn off on the Panorama track and then turned around and skied all the way down Royston return run. It was by a series of serpentine snow plough turns and a wide complete braking snow plough that I skied that last 1.8kms back to Snow Ball thrower land ( the Village).
    I did land on my rump twice along Royston but I just got up and kept skiing down that hill. I did it even if my sore leg was giving me some grief. The mind is a powerful thing and telling your brain to just concentrate and just keep skiing the way I have been coached this season is the key to getting back up and skiing on.:skier:
    It was snowing :emoji_cloud_snow: with wet snow at Triangle Junction and the skiddoo groomers were out at that time .The tall bare trees along Royston track were still plastered with snow that showed which way the winds were blowing the snow on the weekend during the snow storm. There was no view from Melbourne Lookout.
    The car park was full of cars and snow ball throwers wearing Demin jeans in the sleet when I returned from my lap of the ski tracks.
    By then it was sleeting at the car park and I threw my gear into the Tee Mobile, had a hot thermos cuppa and drove back down to report to Teckel at Mystic Mountains ski hire what the skiing was like.
    On my way down the hill a huge deer with antlers popped out onto the road and soon afterwards a lyrebird with its fancy tail feathers also appeared by the roadside.
    Chains were not being fitted to 2 WD so that made for less dangerous Nuff Nuffs :emoji_monkey: on the loose and no eye rolling on my part over clueless drivers:eek: .
    The snow needs to be machine groomed to make a base that will last the coming warm front.
    I suspect today was the last gasp for this remarkably deep and complete snow cover at LM before it begins to melt.
    Don't forget Teckel has all your snow gear hire needs covered at Mystic Mountains ski hire in Narbethong.:thumbs:
    Photos are coming soon.

2. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Heading up the hill for some more skiing at LM

3. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

There was plenty of snow on the way up , in fact, further up the hill , the snow plough had made Mt. Hotham road /Charlotte Pass style walls of snow that had reached higher than the road signs.

4. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Heading towards Echo Flat E 15 snow gauge.
    I thought , yes, I like this :) .

5. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Helicopter Flat. It is the best I have seen it for years!!

EquatorBunny, neilmny and Equus like this.
  6. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

7. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

8. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

9. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

For all the marginal rock hopper days I have skied at LM this made up for a lot of that . This was deep complete cover, not resort marketing spin or bullsh*te.

EquatorBunny, Equus and neilmny like this.
  10. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

11. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

The Camp. My usual food stop was transformed by this deep snow cover.The bench I usually sit on with my skis off was GONE, deep under the snow !

12. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

13. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

14. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

15. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

16. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

17. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

That would be my snow plough track coming down a hill on Woolly butt trail.22.8.18

18. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Lunch at The Gap :).
    The snow was easy and pleasant to ski on.

19. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

20. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

21. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Sydney siders don't have something like Lake Mtn. I mean in less than 2 hours in the car you can be skiing on this!

22. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

23. GS

GS A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Good to see LM and Baw Baw with a decent cover

teckel and Mister Tee on XC Skis like this.
  24. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

25. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

26. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

27. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

28. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Bare Trees and tree trunks covered in snow along the Royston run 22.8.18

EquatorBunny and Equus like this.
  29. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Skiing down the Royston run. It is one of the longest descents at LM.

Equus likes this.
  30. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Back at the Village a.k.a snow ball thrower land.

31. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Pointing the camera and the Jalopy towards a departure...…
    I can't say when or if I will be back at LM this year.We shall see what happens.

pegasusSki and Poppies like this.
  32. LM Obsessive

LM Obsessive First Runs

Beautiful photos and account of your day!
    Thanks for sharing.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  33. Ubiquitous Steve

Ski Pass - Gold

Sydney Siders(sliders)r having enough trouble negotiating the Monaro Hwy...please don’t encourage them to negotiate the rural Highways passing by The Igloo and Teckels shop....it will only lead to tears!

teckel likes this.
  34. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

I cannot imagine why you'd pay 56 clams just to have a BBQ in the snow 2 metres from the LM car park. What is it with these people? At least they are not clogging up the XC ski trails. I would estimate 90 % of LM day trippers will never see the lookout views at Panorama lookout.

35. Ubiquitous Steve

Ski Pass - Gold

Infrastructure ...Bears approve of thiis...

36. Equus

Equus Hard Yards

FAB Photos!!!
    Thank You for sharing

37. EquatorBunny

EquatorBunny Hard Yards

Amazing report Mr T! Can't give enough likes to all the photos. :D
    Mr EB and I are enjoying Falls Creek, getting ready for the Hoppet races this weekend.
    Enjoy the snow at LM while it lasts!!!

Equus and Mister Tee on XC Skis like this.
  38. Xplora

Xplora One of Us

I would not pay to do it but from what I can see it is families having fun together. How cares if they only throw a snow ball. The money helps the resort, which struggles compared to the Big 3, and someone there may be encouraged to take go a bit further and hire skis. Good to see you out there and good to see many others having fun as well at LM.

39. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Yes I suppose if these snow ball throwers graduate to snow shoes then they might make the journey to skis. It has worked for me. I support LM and am glad it is there, so close to home(under 2 hours and a scenic drive too ).

40. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

There's nothing wrong with enjoying snow for the pleasure of enjoying snow. Whatever people do in the snow is good.
    Unless they're idiots in 4WDs intent on destroying it.

41. Xplora

Xplora One of Us

No. If these snowball throwers have fun and especially if families are doing things together then that is all that matters. If some graduate to further activities then it is good also. I know it would not be your intention, however your post has a hint of 'I am better than them because I ski' or get out into the BC etc. etc. Just a friendly observation.

42. LM Obsessive

LM Obsessive First Runs

Lighten up everybody!
    Let’s not fall into that social media trap of swooping down on one person’s post and reading too much into it!

43. teletubby

teletubby Hard Yards

...unless it is yellow ;-)

Mister Tee on XC Skis and teckel like this.
  44. Xplora

Xplora One of Us

You could take this the wrong way as well but isn't that what you have just done. What I did was a light and friendly tap on the shoulder with no malice intended. Could be better to do that via PM instead. That would be more personal but I chose not to. Sorry.

LM Obsessive likes this.
  45. neilmny

neilmny Hard Yards

You should be glad of this not damning of it. The less people out there the better.
    If a family picnic or BBQ with a bit of white stuff about is what tickles their fancy then good on them. I'm sure Teckle agrees.
    We ski and have done every season for over 25 years but tomorrow we'll take my Grandson out for a bit of snowman 101. He'll love it and come to think of it so will we. But perhaps someone will pass by thinking "what's with these poeple!" .....stuff em!!!!!

46. Xplora

Xplora One of Us

That's great Neil. In a couple of years he will be doing igloo 101.

neilmny likes this.
  47. weerab

weerab One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Were you at Windy corner shelter this morning? I saw a lovely lady who looked like a bit like yourself. good luck with the hopper, it should be a classic!!

EquatorBunny likes this.
  48. neilmny

neilmny Hard Yards

Sadly the plan bombed out as the little bloke copped an ear infection out of the blue.
    Altitude, cold and aching ears are not a good mix.....so next time.

49. EquatorBunny

EquatorBunny Hard Yards

Haha, I might have been! A pregnant lady with a visor, that'll be me alright ;)
    Really happy with the Joey race this morning. I don't think I could carry this bub up the Paralyser. Hope you did well in your race too!

50. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Perhaps I was being churlish about the great unwashed daring to have non chook footing based amusement at LM.Indeed the fewer people clogging up the ski trails during the mid week period the better.

#50 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Aug 26, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    neilmny likes this.