Trip Report XC Skiing. Heathy Spur Loop.Falls Ck. /Alpine N.P. 11.9.18

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Mister Tee on XC Skis, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

On Tuesday September 11th 2018 I skied the entire Heathy Spur loop .I started from Windy Corner and set out on my Skinny skis.
    My non skiing friend Ms. C. and I set out from Myrtleford in the Tee Mobile . It was a sunny morning. Ms. C. had a sore ankle and just did a few ski village based snow shoe walks near the Windy Corner XC shelter , while I skied off towards Mt. Nelse.
    I know the back country route well out there along Heathy Spur from previous snow shoe trips. That involved Herringboning straight up the hill off the Bogong High Plains road at one point.
    I generally went in a straight line cross country / off piste heading for "The Park". Sometimes I intersected with the groomed track with its orange temporary poles and skied on that surface.
    .The Spring snow was holding up rather well . It was soft ,granulated and slowish to ski on but I really thrived on this excursion. The skies cleared to a sunny day near Mt. Nelse but the wind was really howling up there .
    At one point I just stood there and the wind pushed me along at a nice pace on my skis.
    Skiing away from the groomed Heathy Spur temporary pole line in skinny skis was no drama at all .The snow had a mild crust on it in the morning but being spring, it was well packed down so sinking in skinny skis without metal edges was not happening at all.
    I do find that I ski better all round in my skinny skis .

I set off at about a hair before 10 am and stopped for lunch at Watch bed Creek on the way back at 1 pm . It was so windy that I hid behind a rock to make a few wraps and eat some fruit.
    That "shelter" at Watch Bed creek is like an ashtray on a motorcycle. Can't PV build an information booth that can double as a wind break ? The pony tailed suits at the slick consultancy office that designed it have never been there when it is very windy or the snow or rain is coming down horizontally ! ;-P.
    I skied down the Paralyser /Watch Bed Creek track with parallel skis using step turns and no snow ploughing or snow plough turns.
    I did not fall over once all day.

:)

I had arranged to meet my non skiing friend at approximately 3 pm back at the Windy Corner XC ski shelter.
    After lunch I powered back along the BHP to Windy Corner and was feeling very fit and skiing efficiently and confidently. I arrived just before 3pm and I stopped along the way to take a lot of photos during the course of the day .
    I saw quite a few people and school groups heading out for overnight snow camping/ ski touring. The good weather window and good spring snow cover above 1700 M. was perfect for this kind of thing.
    I did have enough daylight and legs in me to have skied out to either Fitzgerald's hut or Edmondson's hut . I was smashing it and can now say such day trips and a day trip to Tawonga huts in 2019 white season are totally doable for me.
    A cog has turned and I am now at that level. I am pleased about that.
    This time last year I could not ski to save my life. Now I am at a stage where my dream to ski tour the Bogong High Plains is becoming a reality.
    I am hanging up the planks for 2018 in readiness for my Indian Himalayan trek which is coming up very soon. This season, I have XC skied so much , in so many different places , in powder, crud, boiler plate, slush and spring corn.
    I now can say " I used to snow shoe, I can now XC ski , I am a skier and skiing the Bogong High Plains is my thing!".
    :)

#1 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    Equus, Edgecrusher, Chaeron and 6 others like this.
  2. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Heading towards Falls Creek up the Kiewa Valley. We had very good weather :). 11.9.18

#2 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    Equus, Edgecrusher and neilmny like this.
  3. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

The Fainters looked very snowy and skiable from down in the Kiewa Valley.11.9.18

Equus likes this.
  4. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

I have posted photos of the crossing on the Rocky Valley dam wall on skis before ,so I didn't pull out the camera until I was a fair way up the hill on Heathy Spur. I was travelling in a clockwise direction along the route.

#4 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    Equus likes this.
  5. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

6. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

7. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Still plenty of snow to ski on out on the BHP and Mt. Nelse area.11.9.18. Spring Goodness!!

Equus and skifree like this.
  8. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Looking out towards Mt. Nelse. It was a ripper day out on XC skis!!. 11.9.18.

Equus likes this.
  9. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

10. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

It was an amazing day of skiing.
    I am stoked and must say what a way to conclude my ski season, going out on top, on a high! :). Behold ,Mt. Nelse!

#10 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    Equus and neilmny like this.
  11. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

12. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Looking towards the pole line that leads to Edmondson's hut, situated in the trees in the centre of the photo. I will have Lunch out there next time I ski this route in 2019.

13. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Is this a new sign? I didn't see it there in early September 2017 when I went out to Fitzgerald's hut on snow shoes.

Equus likes this.
  14. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

It was such a sunny day and I was skiing so well in such good spring conditions that I was quite elated.
    My dream was to ski the BHP. It has taken me all season get to the point where I can do it easily , efficiently and confidently. All of those crashes, injuries and lessons learned combined with bloody minded never quit kind of persistence along the way during the 2018 ski season have paid off.

Equus likes this.
  15. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Taking a photo of Mt. Wills as seen from :"The Park" was a must do activity.11.9.18
    I was ready to ski to Fitzgerald's hut , such was the ski fitness in me and the good weather but I settled for just The Heathy Spur loop. Now I know I can do a longer day tour.

Equus and Edgecrusher like this.
  16. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Skiing down the Paralyser/ Watch bed Creek track 11.9.18 . In 2016 I said to myself while on snow shoes at that spot :" If I could ski then I would be back down at the Lake and heading for Windy corner in no time".
    Well, I bloody did it and I smashed it. No crashes, no snow ploughs, just step turns and skiing parallel skis the whole way down to the Lake. You can see my skinny ski track down the middle of the groomed surface.

17. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

The head wind blowing into my face from the North was acting as a head on brake and the afternoon snow was slow and soft so it allowed me to just ski properly , not like a nervous nelly addicted to snow ploughing on boiler plate.

Equus likes this.
  18. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Possibly the most useless structure in this section of the BHP/ANP. It is like a sun roof on a submarine, it offers no respite from the howling winds which had quite a chilly bite to them. I hid behind some rocks to have a break and eat some lunch. It didn't offer much shelter from the wind but it was situated on a dry area of grass.

Equus and Ziggy like this.
  19. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Skiing back to Windy Corner was easy, I was skiing efficiently and gliding for as long as possible on each foot. I also did some skiing on one foot just to drill some skills. I was in the zone ! :)

20. BilbyBill

BilbyBill Addicted

I could not agree more.

21. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

The lake was still 80 % iced over.

22. bluestick

bluestick One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

good on you. So inspiring seeing an enthusiastic starter become a capable performer. XC touring in oz is very special keep it up...

23. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

I took shelter so to speak from the howling winds by skiing along the lower snow wall ski trail on the lake side of Rocky valley dam Wall . I had to Herringbone up the last section back onto the BHP road. I was not feeling fatigued at all.
    This was 11.9.18 and there was still a lot of snow to ski on up there so make the most of it people.
    Being a weekday it was also more peaceful and the groomed XC surfaces were NOT totally chopped up by 1 pm.

#23 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  24. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Heading Back to Windy Corner which was effing windy!

Equus likes this.
  25. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Interesting dead snow gums at Watch bed Creek.
    I was looking at these while I ate my lunch.I can ski with about 8 kgs in a day pack on my back.

Equus likes this.
  26. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

The Ski Resort was rather quiet which suited me. We had most of the Windy Corner day parking to ourselves. The Café there is closing at 3 pm each day , this month. The XC ski hire place is having a sale.

#26 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    Equus likes this.
  27. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

It was good to just zoom through the Nordic Bowl looking at wobbly beginners. Those people were me not that long ago.
    Next season will be huge for me: day touring the BHP. Bring it on!

28. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

29. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

The Lake is still icy but the snow is melting so make the most of it. It has been a ripper ski season. If I was not trekking abroad then I would do a KNP ski trip at the end of this month. That is now a must do trip for Spring 2019.

Equus likes this.
  30. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

We stopped to admire Mt. Bogong on the way down the hill. What a crackingly good day out. :)

Equus, skifree and VSG like this.
  31. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

I skied the whole day on these, my 2nd hand $50 skinny skis with NNN BC bindings. Putting WD 40 on the bindings at the end of each ski day helps keep them easy to put on and off .The WD40 spray purges the water from the manual NNN BC bindings. I am a better skier with these skis when conditions permit their use.

Equus likes this.
  32. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

Three very cool and powerful words! :thumbs:

Equus, skifree and teckel like this.
  33. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

I took a lot of photos of the Mt. Nelse area. I am so totally hooked after this ski trip. I am a ski bum now, a lost cause! ;-P .Bring on the 2019 ski season!!

Equus, Ziggy and neilmny like this.
  34. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Such wide open spaces , the wind driving across the high plains, no one else around , no worries!

Equus likes this.
  35. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

I wonder if with a very early start on a good spring day one could make it to Roper's hut and back in a day?.
    Possibilities abound after this successful ski trip.

Equus likes this.
  36. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

4. ;)

37. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Four words :)

CarveMan likes this.
  38. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

It was late :p

39. neilmny

neilmny Hard Yards

You were warned :pLOL
    Your enthusiasm is uplifting Mr. Tee. I remember when I caught the bug, your stories remind of those fantastic days. As an old fart with bung knees and these days a far less enthusiastic body, I only wish I'd cottened onto this skiing caper 20 or so years earlier than I did. :thumbs:

Ziggy and Mister Tee on XC Skis like this.
  40. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

If I had have XC skied and bushwalked instead of bonging on and tripping out in my misspent youth who knows what outdoors adventures I might have had . Better to start late than never. Some of my also middle aged friends will never ski , multi night hike or surf. It is their loss!. I am heading towards 50 years of age and have never been fitter.

41. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed
    Ski Pass - Gold

Yes, though you'd likely encounter icy hardpack going up the Paralyser which is no joy.
    I get out to Ropers with a heavy pack in half a day. Coming back is quicker.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  42. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed
    Ski Pass - Gold

It's Bogong West Peak and Quartz Ridge actually.

skifree likes this.
  43. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Which are part of Mt. Bogong or is it pedant 's hour?

44. Equus

Equus Hard Yards

FAB Photos and Report Mister Tee!
    Thank You for sharing.

45. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Fabulous pics and enthusiasm MrT - putting me to shame!

Still. Great snow for Middish September! Time for at least one more trip.

You're right about the middle-agers though. So many fall off the 'ski/Outdoors wagon' and one runs out of buddies. :)-(

Keep kick'n on & have a great Himilayan adventure!
    SG.

46. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed
    Ski Pass - Gold

No, they're not.
    In that region it pays to be accurate. No groomed trail, no orange conduit markers.

47. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

Last Summer/Autumn
    I climbed Mt. Bogong from Bogong Creek saddle/The Old helipad , up the Quartz Ridge and over to the true summit with its large cairn. I hiked up Mt. Bogong. Now you are saying it is not Mt. Bogong. I also hiked up to the West peak as a day walk from the Maddison hut ruins area near the Long spur/T spur junction.
    I know the difference between the Bogong High Plains and the Mt. Bogong massif. I have bush walked and snow shoed the whole area for years.

I have ascended Mt. Bogong's summit by all the possible cleared routes: Granite Flat spur ; Staircase spur; Eskdale spur; Quartz Ridge; T-Spur ; Long spur & Mulhauser spur.

The BHP and Mt. Bogong are separated by a deep valley through which the Big River flows. I have crossed that river at the Bottom of Timm's Spur and at the Bottom of Duane spur on different hiking trips.
    I am just saying , that is my experience and understanding of the area.

#47 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Sep 15, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    neilmny, Pademelon and BilbyBill like this.