1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question XC skiing in Canada on a budget?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Mister Tee on XC Skis, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

Hi. Since I love XC skiing ,and I want to improve and I want to XC ski for more time than the Oz season permits I am thinking about XC skiing abroad.
    What kind of money I am looking at spending on a say 10 days of XC skiing in Canada in early Feb.?Where might be the best place in Canada for XC skiing?

pegasusSki likes this.
  2. BilbyBill

BilbyBill One of Us

Sun Peaks has a nice xc set up and we have been there 8 times. We generally spend 8 weeks there each trip and split our time about 50/50 between xc and alpine skiing. Next year we are changing and going to Silver Star. We havnt been there for 15 years so it will be good to go back. Silver Star has a larger XC set up and links to an ever larger XC area called Sovereign Lake.
    Other ski areas have xc as well, but sometimes they are not very extensive or easy to get to from the main ski area.
    As to the cost, depends on the level of accommodation etc. From memory the trail fees for Sun Peaks were about $20 per day. We always get a season pass. For 10 days I would think the season pass would be the go.
    Hope this helps. If you go I am sure you wont be disappointed.

[​IMG]
    Whiskey Jack Trail, Sun Peaks.

3. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Silver Star & the place next door linked by the xc trails.

Rent an apartment at Silver Star and do a siege shop at Kelowna on the way in.

4. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

That looks really tempting !! Thanks.

Pademelon likes this.
  5. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Stay in Vernon and ski Sovereign Lake and/or the SS trails. Accoms should be cheap enough to offset cost of rental car.

Two hours south is Nickel Plate Nordic 8 km from the Apex alpine resort. It is high elevation plateau country with perfect rolling terrain for XC. Nice thing is it is often above the valley cloud so you get lots of sunny days between snow cycles. Frozen Nickel Plate Lake does double duty as rec trail for skiers and Apex snowmaking water supply.

#5 sly_karma, Oct 29, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  6. stansi

stansi One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

^^^^^^
    No internet skills, and a Troll?

7. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Canada looks spectacular (would love to go) but Japan is much more realistic during Australian summer/Autumn. Just saying. Alpine and xc skiing options.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.