1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question XC skiing in N.W. India??

Discussion in 'Less Travelled' started by Mister Tee on XC Skis, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

Hi. I love to XC ski but the season here in Ozstriya is not long enough. I also love India , and the diversity of landscapes, people, cultures, foods and I am fluent in Hindi and Urdu languages. My friend in Thredbo has skied at Gulmarg twice in Indian Kashmir and really had a positive report about it.
    Has anyone else skied at Auli in Uttarakhand , Gulmarg in Kashmir, H.P. etc. etc. , elsewhere in N. India?. How does it stack up for XC skiing/ Nordic skiing compared to other international options?. I must say that bland white person food is a huge turn off for me. I also prefer a mainly Asiatic veg. diet so India is drawing me back.

2. nfip

nfip Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

3. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Have skied at Manali, Auli & Gulmarg but not x-country. There would though certainly be scope for x-country skiing at those places.
    Gulmarg I think had trails and you can ski down to other villages.
    Plenty of potential at Manali - I was there for the heli, but I did once ski tour from the town to the little ski area - you can tour the villages or the orchards - the valley is at 2000m so under snow.
    Auli has a ropeway, chairlift & poma lift and you could probably tour around there a bit also. That is all fairly innocuous, the eral adventure is actually getting there.

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/xfa-blog-category/india.16/view-entries

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.