Question XC skiing in N.W. India??

Discussion in 'Less Travelled' started by Mister Tee on XC Skis, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass: Silver

Hi. I love to XC ski but the season here in Ozstriya is not long enough. I also love India , and the diversity of landscapes, people, cultures, foods and I am fluent in Hindi and Urdu languages. My friend in Thredbo has skied at Gulmarg twice in Indian Kashmir and really had a positive report about it.
    Has anyone else skied at Auli in Uttarakhand , Gulmarg in Kashmir, H.P. etc. etc. , elsewhere in N. India?. How does it stack up for XC skiing/ Nordic skiing compared to other international options?. I must say that bland white person food is a huge turn off for me. I also prefer a mainly Asiatic veg. diet so India is drawing me back.

2. nfip

nfip Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass: Gold

3. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass: Gold

Have skied at Manali, Auli & Gulmarg but not x-country. There would though certainly be scope for x-country skiing at those places.
    Gulmarg I think had trails and you can ski down to other villages.
    Plenty of potential at Manali - I was there for the heli, but I did once ski tour from the town to the little ski area - you can tour the villages or the orchards - the valley is at 2000m so under snow.
    Auli has a ropeway, chairlift & poma lift and you could probably tour around there a bit also. That is all fairly innocuous, the eral adventure is actually getting there.

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/xfa-blog-category/india.16/view-entries