Question XC skiing in N.W. India??

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Hi. I love to XC ski but the season here in Ozstriya is not long enough. I also love India , and the diversity of landscapes, people, cultures, foods and I am fluent in Hindi and Urdu languages. My friend in Thredbo has skied at Gulmarg twice in Indian Kashmir and really had a positive report about it.
Has anyone else skied at Auli in Uttarakhand , Gulmarg in Kashmir, H.P. etc. etc. , elsewhere in N. India?. How does it stack up for XC skiing/ Nordic skiing compared to other international options?. I must say that bland white person food is a huge turn off for me. I also prefer a mainly Asiatic veg. diet so India is drawing me back.

Reactions: DerekHV
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Heinz

Fully vaccinated and travelling again!
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Have skied at Manali, Auli & Gulmarg but not x-country. There would though certainly be scope for x-country skiing at those places.
Gulmarg I think had trails and you can ski down to other villages.
Plenty of potential at Manali - I was there for the heli, but I did once ski tour from the town to the little ski area - you can tour the villages or the orchards - the valley is at 2000m so under snow.
Auli has a ropeway, chairlift & poma lift and you could probably tour around there a bit also. That is all fairly innocuous, the real adventure is actually getting there.

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/xfa-blog-category/india.16/view-entries

Last edited:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Have skied at Manali, Auli & Gulmarg but not x-country. There would though certainly be scope for x-country skiing at those places.
Gulmarg I think had trails and you can ski down to other villages.
Plenty of potential at Manali - I was there for the heli, but I did once ski tour from the town to the little ski area - you can tour the villages or the orchards - the valley is at 2000m so under snow.
Auli has a ropeway, chairlift & poma lift and you could probably tour around there a bit also. That is all fairly innocuous, the eral adventure is actually getting there.

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/xfa-blog-category/india.16/view-entries
Auli looks spectacular. Uttarakhand is amazing.

rowdyflat

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
If you can speak the language it would be great.Cheap and food is awesome.
as I said in another thread about Gulmarg I toured and lifted and helied there.
the altitude can be tiring so get fit.
The avalanche risk is significant but on the flats no problem
Walked tracks thru villages , in a big year, touring would be good anywhere.
Go for it.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Auli is calling me. India is calling me back.
After this white season 2020 in Vic. I will have had some down hill lessons at Baw Baw and some Telemark and skidded stop type lessons elsewhere and maybe be going skiing in North America in Jan. 2021. I have not been to India since 2018 when I got sick and had to turn back on a high altitude trek in Uttarakhand.
So I will be better skilled to ski whatever India can throw at me by the time I make it there again.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Now I have become interested in ski lift skiing so this course now looks more appealing. Plus my Telemark ski gear would be adequate for this kind of trip with plastic boots and 3 pin cable bindings on an Annum ski . I am getting excited about doing this kind of ski trip in NW India.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
@Mister Tee on XC Skis I went to Gulmarg fifteen years ago. It was an experience but I don't think my skiing was up to the level required to enjoy it at the time. Upper mountain is all steep, off piste. Lower mountain is boring. Golf course is meh. You wouldn't make the effort to go there to ski the golf course.

There are better options for you than Gulmarg.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
@Mister Tee on XC Skis I went to Gulmarg fifteen years ago. It was an experience but I don't think my skiing was up to the level required to enjoy it at the time. Upper mountain is all steep, off piste. Lower mountain is boring. Golf course is meh. You wouldn't make the effort to go there to ski the golf course.

There are better options for you than Gulmarg.
Thanks for the tip but I plan to be in Pakistan visiting relatives in Jan./ Feb. 2023
and I miss India ,which is next door . I have never been to Srinagar and Gulmarg.

The 7 day learner Alpine ski course which I have posted a web link to has beginner nursery runs and progresses to half way up the hill at Gulmarg using the Gondola /Lift and skiing Blue level runs within a week .
Plus their programme allows free afternoons. With my own Telemark ski gear I can go free heel classic XC skiing after lunch while the other people in the course warm their backsides beside the charcoal brazier in true Kashmiri style.
If you consider Gulmarg to be
not what would be appropriate for me then what about Auli in Uttarakhand?
I am fluent in Hindi and Urdu and I live on daal, subzi , raita and chapatti at home. Just Add skiing in the Indian Himalaya and could die happy !

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Thanks for the tip but I plan to be in Pakistan visiting relatives in Jan./ Feb. 2023
and I miss India ,which is next door . I have never been to Srinagar and Gulmarg.

Srinagar is interesting. House boat stay a must. The sound of the call to prayers at dawn echoing across the lake is mesmerising.

The 7 day learner Alpine ski course which I have posted a web link to has beginner nursery runs and progresses to half way up the hill at Gulmarg using the Gondola /Lift and skiing Blue level runs within a week .
Plus their programme allows free afternoons. With my own Telemark ski gear I can go free heel classic XC skiing after lunch while the other people in the course warm their backsides beside the charcoal brazier in true Kashmiri style.

There is XC skiing around the village and golf course (The Indian Winter Games was being held while I was there). The lower mountain is mostly cat track type (without the cat) skiing. There is some mellow hike to terrain mid mountain before Mt Apharwat really ramps up. A chair lift is supposed to have been installed mid mountain to access the shoulder of Mt Apharwat , though it doesn't appear on the trail/lift maps.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Auli has soome ski lift skiing and some simple XC ski touring. I am looking into that. The packages that are advertised online are all con jobs. It would be cheaper to hire a taxi jeep from Haridwar and buy lift tickets and Hotel lodgings and meals independently. Of course I would take my own Telemark ski rig to ski the lifts and Ski tour off piste.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using