Question XC skiing in NZ on a budget

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Hi. Since I love XC skiing ,and I want to improve and I want to XC ski for more time than the Oz season permits I am thinking about XC skiing abroad.
What kind of money I am looking at spending on a say 10 days of XC skiing in NZ in early spring.?Where might be the best place in NZ for XC skiing be situated ?

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
www.skidescent.com
Yeah, snowfarm has a myriad of groomed trails. You can also pay for access/parking and head on to the public DOC land and Kirtle burn hut and stay there & cross-country around the rolling hills (ungroomed Bc) near the hut.

Red_switch

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2006
Dunedin, NZ
Yeah, base yourself in Wanaka. Head to snow farm, then out onto the Pisa Range, and potentially also check out the Old Man/Old Woman Ranges. Depending on the snow there are other interesting options further afield including the Dunstan Mountains, Rock & Pillar Range and Lammerlaws (Lammerlaws are very low, but do get and hold quite a lot of snow in the right conditions, with a big area above the snowline).

luke1234

One of Us
May 31, 2015
I'll also add to the chorus of recommendations for Pisa range, it's a great spot, very friendly terrain, and Kirtle Burn hut is cute.

EquatorBunny

Addicted
May 30, 2011
Melbourne
Hi. Since I love XC skiing ,and I want to improve and I want to XC ski for more time than the Oz season permits I am thinking about XC skiing abroad.
What kind of money I am looking at spending on a say 10 days of XC skiing in NZ in early spring.?Where might be the best place in NZ for XC skiing be situated ?

Hey Mister Tee
We are going to NZ again this year for Merino Muster. Snow Farm is the place to go to and even if you backcountry, typically you'd start there. You have to get a trail pass and sign in/sign out every day you are there.
Based place to be is in Wanaka. There are shuttles to Snow Farm from Wanaka. Price wise... not too sure. Sorry. We pay for a package together with the race. Hope this helps.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Hey Mister Tee
We are going to NZ again this year for Merino Muster. Snow Farm is the place to go to and even if you backcountry, typically you'd start there. You have to get a trail pass and sign in/sign out every day you are there.
Based place to be is in Wanaka. There are shuttles to Snow Farm from Wanaka. Price wise... not too sure. Sorry. We pay for a package together with the race. Hope this helps.
If the Oz ski season is a fizzer this year ( don't say that !) then skiing abroad will be a must do. So thanks for the tips. Being an Indian /Asian veg. food snob I think Gulmarg, Kashmir in India would be great for XC skiing, however my cousin who is not much of a skier is living in Switzerland and has said it is OK for me to stay for a week or two and ski there!

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Snowfarm/Pisa Range is a great xc touring area, but it's not really budget skiing. You have to get to Sth Island for a start, so fly into Qt or Chch in peak season (unless you book well in advance, taking a chance on conditions), then get to Wanaka, so car hire likely involved. Some of the locals know back ways onto this plateau but most visitors will go up the main access road from Cardrona valley to the privately owned Snowfarm and pay a fee to ski there or even hire one of their huts. Conditions can be excellent but they can change quickly, too, as in other ski areas in NZ, because the weather can come from a variety of directions. It's well worth a visit but international travel is involved, plus the expences that go with it. Cheaper to base yourself in a hut at Stirling or Pretty valley, perhaps.

Red_switch

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2006
Dunedin, NZ
Snow farm is not privately owned. It operates on land owned by the council, and is operated by a charitable trust.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Apologies. Again I stand corrected. You do pay to use the Snowfarm groomed trail network but not further out, I gather. I am really trying to make the point to my frugal compatriot that his budget might be stretched a little further than he was planning.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I have a flight credit which I must use by Dec. 2021 for sometime in the future. A XC ski trip to NZ in September 2022 could be an option. It is hard to know what will be open/ possible then in terms of travel in our region or further afield. I am based in Melbourne.

Trekking along the Overland track in Tasmania in Dec. 2022 could be another option.

Last edited:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass