1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question XC skiing in NZ on a budget

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Mister Tee on XC Skis, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

Hi. Since I love XC skiing ,and I want to improve and I want to XC ski for more time than the Oz season permits I am thinking about XC skiing abroad.
    What kind of money I am looking at spending on a say 10 days of XC skiing in NZ in early spring.?Where might be the best place in NZ for XC skiing be situated ?

2. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

3. oreo

oreo One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah, snowfarm has a myriad of groomed trails. You can also pay for access/parking and head on to the public DOC land and Kirtle burn hut and stay there & cross-country around the rolling hills (ungroomed Bc) near the hut.

4. Red_switch

Red_switch Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: 30 Day

Yeah, base yourself in Wanaka. Head to snow farm, then out onto the Pisa Range, and potentially also check out the Old Man/Old Woman Ranges. Depending on the snow there are other interesting options further afield including the Dunstan Mountains, Rock & Pillar Range and Lammerlaws (Lammerlaws are very low, but do get and hold quite a lot of snow in the right conditions, with a big area above the snowline).

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  5. luke1234

luke1234 One of Us

I'll also add to the chorus of recommendations for Pisa range, it's a great spot, very friendly terrain, and Kirtle Burn hut is cute.

6. EquatorBunny

EquatorBunny Addicted

Hey Mister Tee
    We are going to NZ again this year for Merino Muster. Snow Farm is the place to go to and even if you backcountry, typically you'd start there. You have to get a trail pass and sign in/sign out every day you are there.
    Based place to be is in Wanaka. There are shuttles to Snow Farm from Wanaka. Price wise... not too sure. Sorry. We pay for a package together with the race. Hope this helps.

7. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

If the Oz ski season is a fizzer this year ( don't say that !) then skiing abroad will be a must do. So thanks for the tips. Being an Indian /Asian veg. food snob I think Gulmarg, Kashmir in India would be great for XC skiing, however my cousin who is not much of a skier is living in Switzerland and has said it is OK for me to stay for a week or two and ski there!

8. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Snowfarm/Pisa Range is a great xc touring area, but it's not really budget skiing. You have to get to Sth Island for a start, so fly into Qt or Chch in peak season (unless you book well in advance, taking a chance on conditions), then get to Wanaka, so car hire likely involved. Some of the locals know back ways onto this plateau but most visitors will go up the main access road from Cardrona valley to the privately owned Snowfarm and pay a fee to ski there or even hire one of their huts. Conditions can be excellent but they can change quickly, too, as in other ski areas in NZ, because the weather can come from a variety of directions. It's well worth a visit but international travel is involved, plus the expences that go with it. Cheaper to base yourself in a hut at Stirling or Pretty valley, perhaps.

9. Red_switch

Snow farm is not privately owned. It operates on land owned by the council, and is operated by a charitable trust.

10. chriscross

Ok, sorry, RS, my error. My point, though, was that you do pay to ski there.

Red_switch likes this.
  11. Red_switch

All good, just good for people to understand what the situation is up there. Hopefully, long term, a more amenable access arrangement will emerge.

12. craighelo

craighelo One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Pay to use the access road only, unless you are using their trails.

Red_switch likes this.
  13. chriscross

Apologies. Again I stand corrected. You do pay to use the Snowfarm groomed trail network but not further out, I gather. I am really trying to make the point to my frugal compatriot that his budget might be stretched a little further than he was planning.

14. Red_switch

There are lots of areas where you can xc ski for free in NZ. But the terrain is generally hard won, remote, and exposed.