Xmas Flights to Canada - book now or wait?

Scot_e17

Hard Yards
May 17, 2017
Heading to Canada ( Vancouver)on 26th or 27th Dec this year and can currently get the following flights:

Melbourne - Vancouver
Vancouver - Calgary
Calgary - Vancouver
Vancouver - Melbourne

If we depart on 26th Dec - AUD $2473 with the flight over having a transit through Brisbane
or
Departing 27th Dec - AUD $2047 Direct flights all the way.

Is it likely there will be any better times to book around mid-year, or should i snap these flights up now?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Libelle

Hard Yards
Nov 19, 2009
Canberra
Hmm, AC currently have a sale, just booked Canberra - Kelowna return for just over $1600 flying mid Jan. Whoops, checked around XMAS, lots more $$$ :(

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Heading to Canada ( Vancouver)on 26th or 27th Dec this year and can currently get the following flights:

Melbourne - Vancouver
Vancouver - Calgary
Calgary - Vancouver
Vancouver - Melbourne

If we depart on 26th Dec - AUD $2473 with the flight over having a transit through Brisbane
or

Is it likely there will be any better times to book around mid-year, or should i snap these flights up now?
Prime travel dates. Take it and go, the deal on the 27th is a pretty decent price. Book it, Dano.

Reactions: Scot_e17 and skivet

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
I think anything around the 2K mark at Christmas is pretty good. I've just booked 5 x tickets for Christmas :) I think when you see a deal and your happy with it pull the trigger. You do have to stop looking after that though so you don't beat yourself up when you see a sale fare during the year which may or may not eventuate.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Spyder_Man

Hard Yards
Oct 17, 2011

Melbourne - Vancouver
Vancouver - Calgary
Calgary - Vancouver
Vancouver - Melbourne

or

I think your Dec 27th is a good price and its direct...
You gotta remember, your travel dates are full peak holidays, airlines don't need to discount during this period to put bums on seats.

teleroo

leaf blower aficionado
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
Well this is a little bit off topic but let's see where it goes. I just dropped $7,812 on three adults and one child return airfares Sydney to Munich with Qatar. Depart Sydney 23rd of December, returning 28th of January. So high season in general. Booked 05 Feb.

Just for shitz n giggles I thought I would do a comparison of return airfares Sydney to Vancouver. Apart from an Air China flight (coronavirus anyone?), Skyscanner was pretty much full of quite a bit more expensive flights. So moral of the story, seems cheaper to fly to Europe than Canada.

Nb there are some cheap direct flights to Tokyo, sub $1100 return with ANA. That is good value.

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
Well this is a little bit off topic but let's see where it goes. I just dropped $7,812 on three adults and one child return airfares Sydney to Munich with Qatar. Depart Sydney 23rd of December, returning 28th of January. So high season in general. Booked 05 Feb.

Just for shitz n giggles I thought I would do a comparison of return airfares Sydney to Vancouver. Apart from an Air China flight (coronavirus anyone?), Skyscanner was pretty much full of quite a bit more expensive flights. So moral of the story, seems cheaper to fly to Europe than Canada.

Nb there are some cheap direct flights to Tokyo, sub $1100 return with ANA. That is good value.

Yes. I’m flip flopping between going to Europe or Canada between about December 20 and January 17. Europe is about $900aud cheaper per person. (There’s 4 of us). Car hire is also cheaper from Zurich.
I’m also waiting for the travel expo.

teleroo

leaf blower aficionado
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
Yes. I’m flip flopping between going to Europe or Canada between about December 20 and January 17. Europe is about $900aud cheaper per person. (There’s 4 of us). Car hire is also cheaper from Zurich.
I’m also waiting for the travel expo.
One stoppers to Sapporo (long trips at 19hrs travel) are out there for under $1000 pp or $1600 if you want to avoid corona risk places. Hard to forecast how this corona bizzo will play out.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
My folks just booked round the world tickets at a similar price to @DidSurfNowSki (actually I think same airline).

anyway I checked the premium economy price and it’s actually cheaper to fly premium around the world than just to and from Canada....

Reactions: DidSurfNowSki

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
My folks just booked round the world tickets at a similar price to @DidSurfNowSki (actually I think same airline).

anyway I checked the premium economy price and it’s actually cheaper to fly premium around the world than just to and from Canada....

Who with? What dates?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Peanut

One of Us
Mar 3, 2018
I got really lucky in early November last year. I got an email from Air NZ advertising a flash sale (it was probably a Black Friday thing), so I looked at SYD-CHC flights for July 2020. $2000 for 2 adults and 2 children return. Just for giggles, I decided to compare prices with Emirates and came up with $1400 return. I pulled the trigger on those prices pretty bloody quick smart. I then locked in car rental through Apex for a Rav 4 for a bit over $700 for 10 days. For further giggles, I looked at Emirates’ prices for the same flights 2 days later and they were back up to $2100.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using