1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Yamato/ Black Cat ski courier process

Discussion in 'Japan' started by ejayAD, Jan 23, 2019.

1. ejayAD

ejayAD First Runs

Hello all, looking forward to my first trip to Japan in a few weeks.

I was hoping for some advice on using the Yamato ski transportation service. I can find a few posts referencing it on this forum but was hoping for some direct advice on how to use it.

Two of us are travelling together. My intended plan is:

- Arrive at Haneda International terminal, Tokyo
    - At the airport, use the courier to send our two large ski bags with skis, boots and other gear on to our hotel in Furano, Hokkaido
    - Spend one week sightseeing in Tokyo
    - Catch an internal flight up to Hokkaido to be reunited with the ski bags in resort, and ski for a week

The questions I have are:
    1. It seems from the Yamato website and what I have read elsewhere that there is no pre-booking of this service, you just show up at the airport kiosk, fill in the waybill, pay and drop off the luggage. Is that correct?
    2. On the "Find A Counter" section of the website, the only service counters listed for Haneda are in the domestic terminals 1 and 2 - is this correct, that there is no service in the international terminal? It seems unlikely to me as there are also none listed for Narita, where surely there must be service.
    3. The two counters listed for Haneda domestic 1 and 2 also say only Japanese language is supported, is that likely to be difficult?
    4. The "How to Use" section is unclear whether you have to wrap or box a big ski bag like the ones we will be using, do you have to or can they just be sent as is?

Any advice from people with experience of using the service would be much appreciated, thanks!

elSpike likes this.
  2. elSpike

elSpike I am a Meat Popsicle Ski Pass: Gold

1. correct. Just turn up.
    2. Definitely a counter as you exit arrivals.
    3. There is usually someone who can speak some English. Also google translate app is your friend. Having your hotel address in Japanese helps.
    4. If the airline took it, the black cat will too. The put our boot bags in a plastic bag thing that they provided as they had straps.

It is a really easy process. Like checking baggage.

ejayAD, Tanuki and skifree like this.
  3. ejayAD

ejayAD First Runs

Brilliant, thanks for clarifying! :)

elSpike likes this.
  4. d15812

d15812 Guest

Very easy process, nothing much extra to add other than let your hotel know that the bags are coming and if you are staying at a large hotel address the bags to: Hotel X, ejayAD (Guest arriving 12/02/2019), address etc.

Sometimes the big hotels get dozens of bags for guests arriving anytime between today and 2 weeks out and then they have to try to match them up with their records (obviously using the same name as you used for the hotel booking books immensely).

When you arrive at the counter ask for their help otherwise you will spent 10 mins figuring out and writing the docket only for them to look at it, shake their head and rewrite it in Japanese and correct your errors.

Go the cats!

5. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

A phone number for your accommodation is also very helpful

6. d15812

d15812 Guest

Oh, and you must also give them a particular date that you want the luggage to arrive at the destination.

I waited patiently behind a guy at Narita once who wanted his snowboard to go to Myoko.

Sure, no problems, when do you want it to arrive?

Oh, it doesn't matter, {insert lengthy description about his sightseeing itinerary here} so long is it arrives before the 20th then that will be fine.

OK, 20th then.

No, no, before the 20th, I will need it on the 20th.

so......

It doesn't really matter because I'm not going to be there, {insert more unnecessary details about his trip}

At this point I interjected and told the guy behind the counter to please deliver it on the 19th.

He smiled and wrote down 19 and everyone was happy.

You also can't say "just the normal delivery time" because that won't work either.

If it doubt just say tomorrow, they will then reply that tomorrow is not possible, the earliest possible day would be Thursday, is that ok. You then say Hai, and everyone is happy.

7. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

It's just how Japan works.

Hyst and cornice11 like this.
  8. Donzah

Or do rookie donza... And write the date the Australian way. DD MM YY

9. Jamesc

Jamesc Addicted

We sent ours from the JAL ABC counter in the Haneda international terminal, they are acting as a agent for blackcat.

10. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

ABC is a different luggage transport company. The blackcat is merely the symbol of Yamato transport which is the biggest company and with that symbol the most recognisable one.

11. Jamesc

Jamesc Addicted

Interesting as they were defiantly using the Yamato paperwork etc...

blowfin likes this.
  12. d15812

d15812 Guest

Given that there is a Yamato depot in Kitanomine (and I'm pretty sure Jamesc is heading for Furano) then maybe they have a handoff agreement.

13. Olgreg

Olgreg One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Great thread. I love the stopover in Tokyo and get a bit sick of dragging the powder skis around, like sticking a mini coffin on the subway.

14. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

In the unlikely event that the luggage forwarding counter at the airport is closed (as it was for us in Osaka when we arrived after 10.30pm) your hotel or any convenience store can forward your luggage. Similarly, your hotel can taq-u-bin it back to the airport if you have a few days to spare between your last day of skiing and flying out. Edit; they are used to dealing with foreigners, particularly at Haneda and Narita.

ejayAD, elSpike and fennekeg like this.
  15. ejayAD

ejayAD First Runs

Thanks to everyone for their really useful help on this, I'm feeling nice and confident about getting the skis on their way safely now :)

Lady Penelope likes this.
  16. Charles

Charles Addicted Ski Pass: Gold

Hijacking thread with a question. If one were to drop off a ski/snowboard bag at Nagano Blackcat in the afternoon, could it arrive at Narita by late afternoon? Or is it a couple of days Service.

17. Donzah

They do offer a overnight service
    However i've never used it

Charles likes this.
  18. ojisan

ojisan station master Ski Pass: Gold

That's stretching things IMO...

Charles likes this.
  19. Charles

Yes I can see an issue if things don't go smoothly. The other option is a cloakroom service at Tokyo Station as, if correct , they don't have that feature at Ueno, only coin ops.

20. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I would say no chance. I've never done it, but I have heard for transfer to airport you need to specify date of flight, in which case they would simply refuse to take it as they couldn't guarantee delivery. I think you need to allow couple of days. In which case then use the storage at Tokyo station.

Charles likes this.
  21. Charles

Storage being a Cloak Service for such a long bag. Are there recommendations of one generic at that station? A previous post was a service just outside of the station.

22. blowfin

blowfin One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Charles likes this.
  23. Charles

Thank you all for your advice.

24. shepski

shepski Addicted

We sent our bags from our hotel in Myoko Kogen to Haneda airport a couple of weeks ago and we needed flight details for the paperwork. We didn't leave for 5 days so plenty of time, for those curious it cost a bit over 5,000 yen for a large suitcase and 165cm snowboard bag.

25. almontyrat

almontyrat One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

minor hijack sorry.

Arriving at Narita tomorrow evening then traveling to Shiga Kogen the following day on N'ex - Shinkansen - express bus. I am thinking of getting the ski bag sent on to my hotel to save me struggling with it through Tokyo station etc. Is there any appreciable difference in service between black cat and JAL luggage service? Or can I just use whichever counter I locate first?

26. grantn

grantn Addicted

From my dim memory the 2 options are quite close together in Terminal 2 at Narita anyway. I would just use Black Cat because I always have and have never had an issue and the service is very quick.
    Have a look at the info here, figure out which terminal you are flying into and take it from there. https://www.narita-airport.jp/en/service/svc_05

almontyrat likes this.
  27. Tonester

Tonester Lift Line Nazi Ski Pass: Gold

I'm not sure if you have enough time between landing in NRT and arriving in Shiga the following day. Seriously, take it with you. Everyone freaks out about having a ski bag in Tokyo. Unless there is a pressing reason NOT to carry it (e.g. physical ability, kids in tow, etc) you should just take it with you. If you had a few days between landing and hitting the hill, that would be a different matter.

Heinz and almontyrat like this.
  28. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

The black cat logo is way better, I cannot believe you thought there was a choice.;)

almontyrat likes this.
  29. almontyrat

almontyrat One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Nah its all good. I won't arrive at Shiga until the following afternoon and can hire some alpine gear for the following day if my bag has not arrived by then. I am 5'2" and 60kg ringing wet, not struggling with a 20+ kg ski bag on and off buses etc.

Tonester, Hully and skifree like this.
  30. Tonester

Tonester Lift Line Nazi Ski Pass: Gold

have fun

almontyrat likes this.
  31. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

It's very simple to take your ski bag with you. IMO....If you can get your ski bag on the plane it's no different to go from NEX to Shink platforms at Tokyo (just a few more people to negotiate) and onto bus at Nagano for Shiga.

32. oldgeezer

oldgeezer One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Reverse direction worked for me recently. Dropped ski bag off at GPA Narita Terminal 2 about 6PM and it was delivered to the hotel about 2PM next day at Tsugaike in Hakuba Valley.

Charles likes this.
  33. paul.marshall

paul.marshall First Runs

Does anyone know how long they can hold onto the gear for?
    I am heading to japan in late December to early January, i land in Tokyo on the 18th but i am not heading to the snow until the 24th for 3 days, and wont leave until the 8th of Jan.

When i send it back to tokyo will they be able to hold it for 11 days?

34. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Japan Post
    As a general rule, any date within 10 days from two days after the deposit date can be designated as the delivery date.

Black Cat is 7 days.