Trip Report Yarra Ranges N.P. Mt. Juliet day hike.30.4.21.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Your correspondent in the field went and did a day walk that had not been tried before by this scribe.
It was type 2 fun going up and type 3 fun going down it :-0. It involved a 900 M. elevation gain over 4.5 kms.
The same applied to the return descent.

It reminded me of Hannel's spur with a mind over matter ascent and a tunnel cut through the thick scrub with very steep sections and no views.
There were no views and I saw no one out there all day. Part of me wished I was surfing in the sunshine at Flinders today. It would have been far less exacting and torturous on my knees. The track starts out OK , just a clear flattish fire trail within the water catchment area for 1. 5 kms and then the relentlessly steep ascent starts . The track is quite overgrown and full of fallen logs, many are quite large and some of which make for SAS commando course conditions.
The track is quite slippery going up and down it. Some sections of it are almost vertical :-0.
@Ubiquitous Steve has quite a task in front of him if picks this as the next Team Bears track clearing project.
As a training and stamina day it got me hot and sweaty and made my brain
and body revolt . I am now hopefully fitter for winter XC skiing.
As a day in the bush with walking poles , boots, leeches and gaiters I say I do not need to do this again. Every time I drive up to Lake Mtn. I have driven past this walk and looked at the sign at the trailhead and wondered how tough could that trek be?.
The answer is plenty tough and if you think I am going to do it again you can forget it. You can jam it !.
;-P
elevation-profile-mt-juliet-yarra-ranges-national-park.jpg

Last edited:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Some photos....
There is no way I can convey how steep this trek was using photos. Hannel's spur, The T spur, The Diamantina spur , The NW spur, The Howitt spur, Muesli spur , The Eskdale spur etc. You name it , these treks are in the same league if not easier :-0 , this was a nutcracker!.
Furthermore it is just a short drive outside of Healesville !.( Close to Melbourne).
I ate my lunch at the top sitting on the side of the huge man made rock cairn at the summit and then I went all the way back down :-0.
_SAM9111.JPG
_SAM9112.JPG
_SAM9113.JPG
_SAM9114.JPG
_SAM9118.JPG
_SAM9119.JPG
_SAM9121.JPG

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
_SAM9122.JPG
_SAM9123.JPG
_SAM9126.JPG
_SAM9127.JPG
_SAM9128.JPG
_SAM9129.JPG
_SAM9130.JPG
_SAM9132.JPG
I got a bit grubby crab crawling up and down the track in some sections. I slid down one bit on my rump. I slipped over once and nearly impaled myself on a pointy broken branch that was protruding from a fallen log :-0. It was sketchy going down that hill. It was a tough hike !.
I was quite relieved to see my car still there parked by the Maroondah highway when I returned . The trek took far longer than I had first anticipated . I left my car at approximately 1045 am and set off and was back at my vehicle at 1600. I must have just eaten my lunch , drunk some water at the summit cairn , taken some photos and started the evil descent.

Last edited:

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
It is steep....I can remember from younger years......you can bush bash down to fire trail close by......that fire trail goes to Mt Donna Buang.....but it might be illegal now.If you look at a topographic map ....the trail goes the obvious way via saddles and Spurs ....just connects as you would expect!Its steep as.....I remember hanging on to trees all the way up/down.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
It is steep....I can remember from younger years......you can bush bash down to fire trail close by......that fire trail goes to Mt Donna Buang.....but it might be illegal now.If you look at a topographic map ....the trail goes the obvious way via saddles and Spurs ....just connects as you would expect!Its steep as.....I remember hanging on to trees all the way up/down.
Yes, I was swinging off saplings on the way down. The scrub is very thick so making your own route in the bushfire regrowth would be making matters far worse.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Nasty slithery steep track....good place to break a leg!Put the Mt Bikers down it!:whistle::whistle::whistle:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Nasty slithery steep track....good place to break a leg!Put the Mt Bikers down it!:whistle::whistle::whistle:
During the ascent ,the longer that track goes on the more obdurate, cruel, steep and unforgiving it became.
My thighs are still sore today. Lying in bed last light was uncomfortable esp. when I rolled onto my side. It put pressure on my aching quadriceps. Swimming laps in a heated outdoor pool , taking Neurofen and a quick one hour bike ride have not helped as much as I would like.
Put me on XC skis on the Bogong High Plains. All gain , no pain!!.

Last edited:

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
It looks very like a trigometric cairn, so carefully laid by the surveyors labourers & chainmen. They probably cut all the trees on the summit or at least those with views to at least two other matching cairns.

Is there provision for a single pole to poke out the top for fine sighting?

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
Yep, Mt Juliet is for masochists. A bastard of a climb that gets steeper and steeper until you literally collapse at the summit covered in leeches.

Iv'e climbed it twice. The second time thinking surely it can't be as difficult as the first ascent. I was wrong.

neilmny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 12, 2013
How did those pioneers have enough energy to build a Cairn that big.....it’s better than the one on Mt Bogong!

I doubt the rock was carried up the walking track. Have a look on a topo map at the easy spur that runs SE from it.
A not too difficult way could be made from general direction of the Acheron Way if not for the complete ban on being anywhere that is not on the walking track.

Oh, I got to within about 100 metres (vert) of the top years ago. As a recovering heart patient, when I could not get my heart rate down to a reasonable level I abondoned the climb. I don't remember suffering Mr. Tee type leg pain in the subsequent days but having initally said "I'll be back"....I haven't and being older and wiser, I wont be back. LOL No way Jose.

Come to think of it that 100 metres vert I mentioned was just about that.......vertical :eek::(

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I doubt the rock was carried up the walking track. Have a look on a topo map at the easy spur that runs SE from it.
A not too difficult way could be made from general direction of the Acheron Way if not for the complete ban on being anywhere that is not on the walking track.

Oh, I got to within about 100 metres (vert) of the top years ago. As a recovering heart patient, when I could not get my heart rate down to a reasonable level I abondoned the climb. I don't remember suffering Mr. Tee type leg pain in the subsequent days but having initally said "I'll be back"....I haven't and being older and wiser, I wont be back. LOL No way Jose.

Come to think of it that 100 metres vert I mentioned was just about that.......vertical :eek::(
It was the descent that wrecked my thighs :-(.The lactic acid build up has been of NW spur on Mt. Feathertop type levels. I was descending using trekking poles extended to a length of 135 cms. I did complete the whole jaunt in under 5.5 hours which meant no stopping going up or on the way down :-0.

Last edited:
Reactions: neilmny
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass