1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Yet another tyre thread

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by fenrir, Jun 22, 2020.

1. fenrir

fenrir One of Us

Looks like it's been a couple of years.

My tyres on the xtrail got a little skatey in the rain yesterday and when I checked the outside groove only had about 3mm of tread left while the inside grooves had double that. Looks like some idiot has been cornering too hard in my car.

With ski season coming up and hopefully every weekend spent driving up it's probably time for new tyres. I did a bit of a search using the criteria "less than $250/tyre fitted" (preferably more like $200/tyre) and "must have the mountain snowflake symbol".

So far I've come up with:
    Yokohama Geolander AT G015
    Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus

Does anyone have experience with thse? Are there any other that should be on the list given my criteria?

Thanks

2. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

What size tyres ?

What is your drive to the mountains route ?

skifree likes this.
  3. fenrir

fenrir One of Us

Canberra/Jindabyne to Perisher or Thredbo. Maybe I will visit Hotham at some point.

I have gone slight larger on the xtrail - 225/65 r17 (instead of 225/60)

4. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Are you sure they have the "mountain snowflake symbol"? Pretty sure the Yokohama doesn't, and I think the Pirelli is just an all terrain type tyre also without your snowflake symbol. I certainly can't see the snowflake on pics of either tyre or see it on the specs. Maybe I'm wrong.

5. fenrir

fenrir One of Us

Unless they've changed the specs for the Australian market compared to everywhere else on the plant they should do? It's mentioned on the global site.

6. teckel

Can't see it here - https://www.yokohama.com.au/our-range/tyres/Geolandar A T G015?type=4x4 Tyres & SUV Tyres
    Or here: https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-au/car/find-your-tyres/products-sheet/scorpion-all-terrain-plus
    The Pirellis seem to be a mud & snow tyre, which is an all-season tyre, not specifically a snow or winter tyre with the symbol you seek.

7. fenrir

fenrir One of Us

Looks like it's there on the Pirelli.

Listed on the Yokohama global site too:
    https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/geolandar-a-t-g015

8. teckel

9. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

Have a look at the Falken AT3W. I have them in my Dmax tray ute and they go well as a 3PMFS "Snow tyre" in the AT range. Also good on the dirt and tar.

We have Landsail IS37 on TBC Dmax dual cab which are a full snow tyre but are also nice on the highway. Will take these off in Sept and put Wildpeak AT3W on as the summer tyre.

We have three sets of rims so the tyres are interchangeable between vehicles.

https://www.falken.com.au/product/wildpeak-at3w/

northsail likes this.
  10. Chaeron

Chaeron A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Don’t necessarily restrict yourself to snow tyres. Many all-terrain tyres with a wide enough pattern able to clear snow are also functional, especially in combination with 4x4, and driving to prevailing conditions.

Adequate traction at appropriate speeds in marginal conditions require chains in any case.

qwill and sly_karma like this.
  11. fenrir

fenrir One of Us

Looks like the Falken's are too big for my little car - I don't think I could go any bigger than 225/65 r17 (and the smallest AT3W I can find is 225/70 r17).

Quite happy to have an all season tyre, just looking for one that won't suck on snow. For reasons I wont go into I have ended up with some Nankang CrossSport on my car and the best description I can give them day to day is "adequate". They were pretty terrible in the snow and now that they are getting skaty in the wet due to wear I don't trust them in the forthcoming pre dawn hunger games to secure one of the limited parking places.

Chaeron likes this.
  12. john_k

john_k Hard Yards

You should be able to get the Goodyear All Terrain Wrangler's for $250 per tyre. They seem to be a very good AT tyre for road and off road inc. snow. Also the MAXXIS tyres seem to get good reviews if you want to go cheaper. I use the Goodyear's on my Nissan Pathfinder. There are lots of EOFY special's at the moment so you have timed it well!

Chaeron likes this.
  13. fenrir

fenrir One of Us

Like the Falken's the smallest Wrangler AT's are too big for my car. For small SUV's it largely seems to be oversized summer road tyres that are available.

14. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I liked the Coopers when I had 4WD, the cross style though, LT or AT. Bit more expensive, but I got 120K out of them on the Vitara, and about 80 on the Hilux.

Now with the van I get about 40-50 max, some only 30.

Chaeron likes this.
  15. john_k

john_k Hard Yards

As a back up and depending how long you want to keep your car you can also change the wheels! a bit of a bummer but you can then resell your wheels I guess.

16. john_k

john_k Hard Yards

fenrir likes this.
  17. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

My Outback came with the Geolander as new and I was very happy with their performance. Replaced them after 4 years with the Pirelli Scorpion on mechanic's advice and they have been great in mud, ice, snow.

Chaeron likes this.
  18. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I have snow tyres on my Impreza, coming up to 4th season. No idea what they are, but I recommend chatting to Tyrepower in Jindy, mine were no more expensive than normal tyres and have never slipped. They don’t get as much snow use now, but plenty when I lived down there.

Chaeron likes this.
  19. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

This is the POV I've come to take too, at least for bigger AWD/4WD vehicles like pickups and SUVs. I know there's no certification for M+S but typically the tread pattern is sufficiently aggressive for decent clearing of slush and slop. My concerns for traction are at their height when it's mild rather than icy cold - a lot more grip and consistency at -10 or below than at +1. That melting/freezing zone has a lot of excess water around and aquaplaning can be a real worry in the slush. Is that soft compound as much of a thing then? Chunky tread compound and lots of siping are what is needed.

I've been leaving the factory rubber M+S in place and selecting Auto 4WD mode all winter for a long time now. Found replacement sets of the OEM tyres used and cheap because lots of guys take them off in favour of something more fancy. They stay on the truck all year, one less thing to do when the seasons are changing and they wear better in summer than a soft winter compound will.

dawooduck and Chaeron like this.
  20. fenrir

fenrir One of Us

All things considered I've gone for the Scorpion AT Plus over the Geolander g015 in part because I got a good price but also because of that chunky tread. Some other great options there if I could squeeze any slightly bigger tyres but allas I have only a small car, and I've already gone as tall as I can without interfering significantly with clearance and legality.

dawooduck and Chaeron like this.
  21. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

22. snowmobile

snowmobile One of Us

I had the Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus put on our Forester in 2018 for trip to Hotham, the tyres handled the conditions well.
    My wife uses the Forester as a daily driver and I'm impressed with the wear of the Pirrelli's and general all round performance.

I think driving to the conditions in a all wheel drive with most tyres and decent tread you will be generally fine......different story on ice as chains are your only friend.

dawooduck likes this.
  23. snow drive solutions

snow drive solutions Hard Yards Ski Pass: Silver

Good points Sly :)

An icy road surface is not always the cause of the problems on alpine roads, deep snow slush can easily turn a driver into a passenger.

On a wet country road hydroplaning or aquaplaning is dangerous, slush planing that can occur when driving on wet soft snow on alpine roads is even more dangerous. Slush planing occurs because the tyre loses contact with the road and you can not steer, or brake, the vehicle. The combination of deep slushy melting snow, a layer of water on the road surface, and possibly ice can make driving extremely dangerous, even for the most experienced driver.
    It is important to have tyres with the proper tread pattern, design, depth and properties to suit these types of road/weather conditions.
    When there is deep snow slush on the road, and the driving speed exceeds a certain limit, the tread pattern of the tyre may no longer pushes aside the slush and water from underneath the tyre. The contact between the tyre and the road will be lost, and so will the grip.
    Wet snow slush means danger and is a frequent situation on alpine roads here in Australia. The same problem can occur on roads and especially freeways in other areas after heavy hail storms. Slush planing occurs because the tyre loses contact with the road and you can not steer the vehicle anymore. When you have to change lanes or to overtake others and you have to cross the slush barrier between the lanes the vehicle can lose side grip and can easily skid.
    Slush planing is more dangerous than aquaplaning. Slush planing makes tyres lose contact with the ground with much lower speeds than aquaplaning. At speeds below 50 km/h tyres may lose contact with the ground on slush whereas aquaplaning typically occurs with speeds up from 80 km/h. Without tyre contact to the road the vehicle can not be steered any more.
    Slush planing is more dangerous than aquaplaning for the following reasons:
    On ordinary roads the depths of the layer of rain water is rarely more than 5-10 millimetres but slush can be much thicker, up to 40 millimetres on the driving lanes and up to 100 millimetres between the driving lanes.
    Slush has got a higher viscosity than water, therefore is pastier, and can not be evacuated by tyre tread channels as easily as water, especially with summer tyres.
    This video may help to explain………..

sly_karma, dawooduck and Chaeron like this.
  24. Nightskywatcher

Nightskywatcher One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

You are probably still within margins of error, but note that your new tyre size will give you a 3 km/h increase in actual speed at 100km/h on your speedometer.

Old tyre 100kmh
    New tyre 103kmh

25. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Will be interested to hear how you go, as I like Pirelli tyres, have them on the Impreza (not snow tyres) and even on the bike. I’ve always liked the tyre feel.

mom the outback I used to love the Yoko geo landers but switched not long back to the coopers as they came with a good guarantee and have been impressed. But having driven in deep snow using the m and a tyres and happily get some for here if the Pirelli work.

26. fenrir

fenrir One of Us

It's one of the reasons why I went a size up to begin with, the speedo on the xtrail is about 6km/hr under.

Nightskywatcher likes this.