1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

YHA Thredbo

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by grifter, Mar 5, 2010.

1. grifter

grifter First Runs

Hey Everyone!

Well I'm completely amped up that im going to the snow this year! I've never been before and im really looking forward to it...but as a single guy going up its been difficult finding accommodation for just 1.

Anyway, i've sent of the ballot forms to stay at YHA Thredbo and im hoping that a few of you that have stayed there before could tell me what its like...pro's con's etc.

Also, how popular is the ballot for beds there? Is my shot of getting a spot reasonable? or should I have a backup plan...looking to go up for 7 days at end of july etc.

Cheers Everyone!

2. Little Tiger

Little Tiger A Local

Single person your ballot chance should be great unless you wanted an ensuite room. July could be trickier if school hols but you should still be OK I think.

I stayed there for many years in August - that time period had a great bunch of friendly skiers that came regularly...

Generally a good place to stay... every year you get some pain in the [auto-censor] types... but most folks are good about sharing. Remember fridge space is limited so be respectful to others and don't fill the whole thing with just your stuff. There is always a rush for the kitchen at family meal times - you will make it easier on yourself if you can cook/eat away from these times.

You can catch the bus up to the stairs if you don't want to walk from the bottom. Easier walk from there...

3. grifter

grifter First Runs

Hey Little Tiger!

Thank you very much for your info. Yeah my two options were for last week of July and 1st week of August. I'm not sure when the school holidays are but hopefully i've missed them. So hopefully being that im a single and prepared to take whatever mixed dorm bed they have available, I' will get a spot.

Anyway, i'm excited to be hitting the slopes as my dad was a good slalom skier in his day at Buller (missed out on winter olympics team by a couple of spots but as he says...he just wasn't quite good enough lol) and im hoping that I find it enjoyable too.

Anyway, thanks again for your help and if your up at thredbo around that time i'd be happy to buy you a drink in appreciation.

Cheers

4. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

If you miss out at the YHA, try some of the club lodges - the prices are better than the commercial variety, you usually get the use of the kitchen (thus saving heaps on meals) and you'll meet some frequent Thredbo sliders. I belong to Currawong and we take public bookings from the start of April.

5. grifter

grifter First Runs

Hey Piste Again!

WOW how nice is that lodge! I just had a look at the website and it looks awesome...If I really take to the snow and decide to stay down there an extra week (which could easily happen) then I might seriously look at booking a spot there.

On the bookings front...looks like I might have lucked out and got my YHA accommodation. I havent officially heard anything yet, but they have just charged my credit card for the week. So fingers crossed.

6. grifter

grifter First Runs

Hey Everyone.

Just figured i'd update you all and let you know that my ballot came through and ill be staying at YHA from 23rd July through till 30th and possibly longer if I can swing it [​IMG]

So thanks for the help and hopefully i'll catch you on the slopes.

Cheers

#6 grifter, Mar 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  7. kace

kace First Runs

hey piste again, what is the approx cost of a share in currawong?

cheers.