Your Best Ever Day Skiing?

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by powderhound123, Mar 15, 2018.

1. powderhound123

powderhound123 First Runs

Intrigued to hear what peoples best ever day skiing was, where it was etc....

2. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

Edgecrusher, Zimbooo, Seth and 4 others like this.
  3. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

The morning after an overnight metre of the finest powder in Aspen Highlands, January 1993.

4. sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

The one in the memory right now was just a week and a half ago, five first tracks runs at Apex on a 45 cm day. The special part about this one was the record base underneath the knee deep fresh, I got five rounds of first tracks on a very busy Saturday morning because lines that are only possible maybe once in a decade gave me access to snow that no one realised they could get to.

The Plowking, FatBoyDave and dr80 like this.
  5. Undies

Undies Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Early September 1996. Perisher was quiet, so when 90cms fell from a storm there were precious few people at Blue Cow braving the outdoors to find some amazing snow. I recall run after run, alone on the chair, coming down through the (now closed) section on the Summit, or lapping Brumby in knee deep snow like I'd never known before.

When the day finally ended I had a bright red triangle on the side of my face where a patch of skin had been exposed to the elements all day. A mark of a truly fine time had in proper Aus snow conditions.

:D

Annabuzzy, Tanuki and crackson like this.
  6. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them
    Ski Pass - Gold

Can I pick 5 that stick out?
    - Heli skiing day in the Chugach Mountains
    - Pow day in Perisher last year with @Astro666 and @greggz when everyone racked off to Blue Cow and we did untracked laps on Eyre all morning
    - 2 x pow days in Saalbach and Gerlos with @Kletterer
    - Looping the magic carpet #3 on Perisher Front Valley an insane amount of times with @Normo one opening weekend

7. piolet

piolet Found anything yet?
    Ski Pass - Gold

Storm day laps on nth p t with my best mate in the early naughties I reckon. Certainly memorable :)

The new contender from last Feb; when my eldest decided he could do it and had a blast snowplowing down Savoy samaran.

crackson likes this.
  8. Stick

Stick Hard Yards

My first day.. Will never forget it, started what will be a lifelong passion.

Sure i fell what seemed like 100 times, and it took my an hour to get down Runway@ Cypress but it started an itch.

9. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
    Moderator Ski Pass - Gold

It's actually hard to remember which might be the best....
    However, I suppose I can work backwards, and remember this day, Jan 30th 2018. About 20 people competing for 50cm+ overnight, with another 20cm by the time we left(at 2pm!!!). Every run was an untracked run.

10. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Best day this season .....

Zimbooo, Zeroz and Beerman like this.
  11. gusso

gusso Hard Yards

My best day was thursday 15th Feb 2018 at Niseko it had snowed constantly for 3 weeks and it was my first and only lesson at niseko (been skiing for years but still enjoy a lesson) and i'd never skied powder before! But i love to ski with skis very close together so i took to powder quite well apparently AND OH MY GOD!! IT WAS AMAZING ! It felt like i was ploughing through the snow at chest height but it was bit lower, but so amazing- temps were -10 conditions -dry powder, sun just peaking out for about 30mins before dissappearing again!

Tanuki and piolet like this.
  12. gusso

gusso Hard Yards

AMAZING VIDEOS!

13. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

My youngest son aged 14 at the time. We spent a werk in a ski in/out chelet in thredbo and we scored a metre of freshies over the week.

People may recall that was the time we hiked to Charlotte Pass (almost).

Not the best conditions Ive seen but certainly best times with my son.

crackson likes this.
  14. Tonester

Tonester One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Hmmmm....there are sooooo many standout days. Here are some in no particular order:

13th July 2016. There was a massive storm in Perisher that put EVERYTHING on wind hold, including most of the t-bars. I spied on the lift status that Brumby was open so made my way there. Conditions were snowy and windy and no one, it seemed, was brave enough or stupid enough to be out there except for myself, son and daughter. So there we were, just us and the lifty and untracked through the trees adjacent to Brumby. It was not the steepest or deepest by any means but it was special. The snow was creamy and we had the place to ourselves. We got home happy and exhausted.

January 2014 Kamui: We were staying in Furano and decided last minute to head over to Kamui. We had no transport so ended up booking a maxi taxi to take myself and 5 others over there. A massive snow storm was in its final throws as we were making our way towards Kamui. When we got there, just after 9 am the weather had settled and over the course of the morning finally cleared. There were no more than 15 cars in the car park. The skiing outside the gates was outstanding. The skiing under the gondola was outstanding. The skiing on the piste was outstanding. We were still getting fresh on piste after lunch. It was one of the "wow" days.

15. Ralf_Plow

Ralf_Plow One of Us

Impossible to choose.

First ever time skiing the western faces of main range is up there, heliskiing in Canada after a storm cycle was pretty good, skiing powder with my then 3yo daughter and 4yo son also rates pretty highly. Never yet had a forgettable day in the back country anywhere, even the tough days are good.

16. Belly

Belly A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Mine is easy to choose, ton of equal seconds but only one #1. AK Spring 2010. Oz was the highlight which I took first from my crew but another heli group had been down it. Photos are from the heli, looking down, and looking back up. The chute itself was well over 1,000 foot of vert alone (actually I think I remember the guide saying over 2,000, a few years have passed :) ).

17. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Is that Red Light District ?

18. Belly

Belly A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Can't remember honestly - I'm not sure that exact chute is in that district but nearby. Did some sick runs that day, we got 2 maybe 3 first group drops including 1 steep mofo that I think was in the red light area that I might have also gone first with. I went first quite a lot, I was a bit crazy then :) just a little less so now :)

19. Belly

Belly A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Ok, according to my photos, my runs on that special bluebird day were; X Rated, Oz, Full support, Worm (gnarly exposure first tracks), Lower Guilt Trip, Nailed it, and I think maybe 1 more melow run to finish.

20. crackson

crackson A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Best day ever is the next one.

21. Beerman

Beerman One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

I reckon I know what run the first vid is shot, second one has me guessing though.

My best day is watching my kids experience powder for the first time. First's are hard to beat.

22. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass - Gold

Ones I remember.

My first day ever skiing in the US at Alta, skiing beginner runs on the Albion side to get the legs working. I skied off the groomer into the untracked Utah powder, shin deep, at the side and didn't slow down.

A later trip to Alta skiing under Collins in knee deep fresh. It filled in for every lap.

A day at Telluride in a below average year but we caught a storm. We were on the 13th chair up Chair 8. We skied Plunge top to bottom without a track in front of us.

Beating a canyon closure up to Snowbird by 5 minutes then skiing the Black Forest on the Gad side. The storm kept going all night and the Canyon was closed in the morning, so the great unwashed from SLC couldn't get up the road until lunchtime.

A day at Sun Peaks with knee deep. First Cariboo with no tracks, then Green Door as the 3rd person down.

A freak storm at Perisher in mid-September playing in the trees around Leichhardt.

Many more great memories.

Normo and powderhound123 like this.
  23. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

- Storm day (week) at Hotham last August
    - wife skiing powder confidently, and properly for the first time at Tomamu and Rusutsu 2016.
    - first time I saw a snow flake falling from the sky 1995 Mt Buller - changed my life for the better.

Belly, Hermannator and DidSurfNowSki like this.
  24. iagreewithhim

iagreewithhim One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

1. 1979, Mt Hotham, my second day on skis. After spending the first day running into things and falling over, on day 2 I began to get some control over my direction. That was a day of euphoria I don't think I've ever equalled.

2. Thredbo, August 2000(?). We had a month-long blizzard and I was there for a week in the middle of it. On the last day it dumped continuously all day. Hero snow like nothing I've seen. Throw yourself off a 3m cliff? No worries!

25. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Sounds like our day the first time I went to PNH .....EPIC !!!!!

Belly likes this.
  26. Hermannator

Hermannator Addicted

Like many have said, that one day is too hard to pick out.

Contenders:

Oddly enough I probably wouldn't put the heli days at the top - was held up by random average skiers..

One day I'll reach the holy grail of 22 heli runs in the day...

27. Sbooker

Sbooker Hard Yards

I'm from Brissie and only ski about 12 days per year so I'm a permanent intermediate.
    My best day was not that mind blowing from my own personal skiing point of view but stands out because it was the day that I realized I could ski with my kids without making any compromises. We did a couple of groomers while I was waiting for the top of Mammoth to open. When patrol opened Chair 23 I said I was going to do some runs in the fresh snow off the top. The kids (10 and 8) asked to come along. They proceeded to comfortably ski down Cornice Bowl in about 50cm of fresh snow.
    From that day I don't worry about where I'm heading because I know they can go wherever I do. Since then we've had some great times at great mountains. It's still the most fun we have as a family.

28. TOFF

TOFF All bits and giggles
    Ski Pass - Gold

2 of my all time favourite come from NZ 5 years apart.

Hutt on a powder day after staying up drinking till 5:00am
    Brilliant powder day with no one around at Broken River.

Beyond that Ive had great days at Buller, Hotham, Baw Baw, Thredbo, Porter Heights, Treble Cone, Coronet Peak, Remarkables, Cardrona, Niseko, Whistler, Blackcomb, Happo, StAnton, Snowbird, Alta, Squaw, Homewood, Sierra, Alpine Meadows, Heavenly, Mt Rose, Snowbasin, Jackson Hole, ParkCity, Canyons

FatBoyDave, powderhound123 and piolet like this.
  29. GS

GS A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Best ever ski was on the Crosscut early 90's, perfect Spring corn conditions, so isolated, staggeringly beautiful scenery.

Will be forever etched into my memory.

#29 GS, Mar 16, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  30. chicski

chicski One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Would be this day

Redlands cup was at Thredbo the day before, races were delayed due to storms, couldn't see a thing getting off the Kosi express and then it dumped. Woke up to a yard full of snow the next morning and a day off work :D

31. piolet

Ski Pass - Gold

Thought it'd be that day you sent Corbett's!

32. MisterMxyzptlk

MisterMxyzptlk Old n' Crusty

My next day skiing

JoeKing and crackson like this.
  33. TOFF

TOFF All bits and giggles
    Ski Pass - Gold

Im still hurting that it was closed EVERY ****ING DAY I was there.

.......next time

piolet likes this.
  34. MisterMxyzptlk

MisterMxyzptlk Old n' Crusty

I was in Courchevel in 1999 on THAT day
    Right time right place
    Endless loops in bottomless powder
    Has ruined me forever

FatBoyDave likes this.
  35. Principal Douglas

Ski Pass - Gold

Sun Peaks 2003 December some time I guess. I picked up in Mackdaddy's the night before, woke up in some random condo next to a girl I barely recognised, looked outside to see a lot of fresh snow, ran straight out the door to calls of "where are you going?", got untracked all day and somehow avoided a hangover. Good day.

36. FatBoyDave

FatBoyDave One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Reading this thread, all you people make me sick.
    Sick with jealousy at all the snow action you've had.

There have been a few days that stick with me over the years.
    1.) At the The Remarkables after a 30cm dump overnight in 1996. Not many people around, just a group of uni mates on a ski trip. Fresh tracks everywhere. Too young and naive to realise how good this actually was. I wouldn't see snow this good for another 20 years...

2.) Skiing at Hakuba with the family. They all took a day to go to the Snow Monkeys. I got the green light from the family and instead booked an off-piste tour with Evergreen. That night it snowed 50cm's and continued snowing all the next day. A big group for the off piste tour then got split into a small group of 4 (with 2 guides) and a larger group of 6-7. After skiing with the family (at their pace on their choice of runs) all week, I got to go wild with a group of 3 other skiers all of similar speed and ability off piste with >50cm's of fresh snow. One of the best days skiing I have ever had..
    Actually one of the best days I have ever had.

3.) Backcountry skiing at Hotham with my daughter. Just the 2 of us exploring parts of the mountain we'd never seen.

GS and Belly like this.
  37. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend
    Ski Pass - Gold

A day off shindlergrat in St Anton I ‘91. Powder bumps for miles

A day skiing fast piste in Stuben with friends, ‘91. Relentless joy of being 19 or 20

A day two seasons ago with the +1. New love, puking snow, few crowds, relentless runs, complete until, home resort

A day in the saddle on Sentinel. Best bc snow in Oz I’ve ever had. 1990’s. With an old friend from school, same as St anton.

Off the Sentinel with Graeme. A special day, more so now he has gone

The Vallee Blanche with the +1 and the Carve’s. 2017. Just stupid sick snow, company, atmosphere.

A Whole suite of stupid fun days with goood snow with @telecrag , @tele-whippet and crew.

People make the world go ‘round.

38. piolet

Ski Pass - Gold

Yeah first time down the VB would be memorable for all! Certainly is for me, blue bird and fresh, shin deep at a nice pitch on the Gros rognon varient - guided group. But thats definitely been eclipsed by a trip down the rond with a good mate.

Now I think about it I'd have to add a particularly deep and kinda uncrowded day at les grands montets with a great mate of mine and his lovely +1. Rochasses, rognon and, oh my, pendant headwall oh god yes.
    First day over Les aguilles rouges is certainly memorable too.

Conditions help but company makes it

39. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter
    Ski Pass - Gold

Can't pick any individual day, there are too many different aspects I enjoy about skiing, also I'm really bad with dates and years
    Best conditions
    • Best Snow: 3 days of 50cm of snow each day at WH2O, '96ish, my first experience of bottomless back in the days of misery sticks
    • Best corn: My first trip to Carruthers with heavy Telemark equipment, from the summit to Club via Elevator in 8 turns, the snow was so good it just encouraged you to go faster and faster '02ish
    • Best Surprise: Waist Deep late afternoon on Eyre July 2013, the deepest snow I've skied in Oz, but I was expecting typical Aussie cement, not deep blower during the season of rain.
    • Cross country skiing through knee deep snow like it wasn't there at Asahidake March 2016

Best Company
    • Every day I ski with someone ready of have a laugh, Many mates who aren't on the forum, @telecrag, @telewhippet, @Astro66, @skifree and everyone else on the forum I've skied with.
    • Every lesson where the student either has one of those light bulb moments or when you get to help them experience something to do with skiing they would have never done otherwise (go to a new part of the hill, first turns BC, ect).
    • Every time I get to nerd out on technique with a master of the sport. Interski in 2015 was a real highlight.

Best experience
    • First day on Tele's '92ish
    • First overnight BC trip without adult supervision '92ish
    • First time skiing down to the Ocean Asari March 2016
    • Working as an Au Pair in Argentiere for the season in exchange for a Guide when I wasn't with the kids 2001/2002
    • Demo Runs at Interski September 2015

40. Astro66

Astro66 Still looking for a park in Thredbo
    Ski Pass - Gold

Great Snow is great. Great People is better.

Normo, oldgeezer, telecrag and 3 others like this.
  41. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Addicted

I remember that day.

Undies likes this.
  42. Tonester

Tonester One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Yep...that would be the day!

chicski likes this.
  43. piolet

Ski Pass - Gold

Combine both and it’s even betterer!
    Add terrain/friggin round with fun stuff and ++++

climberman and Astro66 like this.
  44. Olgreg

Olgreg One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

For me it’s the surprise factor. When you’re overseas and you know half a metre has fallen and you’re going to a special place, it’s fantastic and totally lives up to expectations. When you expect10cms and spend all day skiing with buddies in thigh deep and more, ducking a few strategic ropes and seeing no one else in a spot you can hammer again and again, freshness every run, your head keeps expanding with unexpected happiness.
    Thus it was for me, plus two good mates at Kiroro in 2015 and last month at Sapporo Kokusai.

Arne and Normo like this.
  45. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker
    Ski Pass - Gold

The most memorable was Friday 13th 2007, solo skiing into Mt Jagungal.
    There was absolutely no one around, it was completely still and quiet and lots of huge flakes were floating down.
    It was ankle deep very dry pow on a firm base gliding down the undulating open valleys with Jagungal totally dominating the horizon in the late afternoon.
    V v surreal.
    The funnerest have been with @climberman @telecrag @K10 and other skiclowns off piste hunting at Thredbo.
    Skiing with wifey is always good ... Mt Vic Pass or Verbier or .......

Normo, Kletterer, telecrag and 3 others like this.
  46. MarkGC

MarkGC One of Youse
    Ski Pass - Gold

Last trip to Perisher with my wife, parents and my 4 kids comprising our group, it was the first year all kids were able to ski all the mountain competently .

I created a scavenger hunt where each adult
    paired with a child and we had to take photos of things on the list. Items such as an animal, a run that starts with the same letter as your name, a pic with an instructor, snowboarder etc .

We all got really in to it, all met up for lunch, skied the whole mountain and we're still discussing the day late into the evening .

Nothing special about the conditions or location, just a great family day .

No one scored the bonus points for getting a photo with @Normo though .

47. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass - Gold

There is the day that your child and you ski the same runs at the same speed for the whole day. The day before that day you are waiting. The day after that day your child is waiting. We call it the Warren Miller Day after one of his frequently recycled jokes. It happened when mine was about 12.

48. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

I just can't pick one. Knee deep in the Jagungal area, we were out 10 days, and didn't often see our skis, unless we were doing repairs. Must of been late 90's I think.

But managing to hang with pro's on their day off a few times, in a way one of those days would be it. In a posse of like 5 or more, and having people say days later, wow, you were skiing with blahblah, or, that was a high powered posse you were skiing with the other day. HTF I managed that I don't know, I have had maybe three days that somehow I was on fire, and the legs held up. Only times I have "hucked" but hey, everyone was doing it.

Like we always say, if you are smiling, you are doing it right.

Many many excellent days with people from this forum, some lifelong friendships forming. Though as I am likely to die young, that aint that long!

Normo, climberman, Kletterer and 3 others like this.
  49. piolet

Ski Pass - Gold

Friends + adventure

A winning combo

50. Normo

Normo Mostly Harmless
    Ski Pass - Gold

So....you missed first lifts, dodged the magic carpet and didn't venture over to the dark side of Mt P.
    Or was your camera just busted! :D